forum

New Computer; FPS cap

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nattsun
Hey circle clickers,

I just got a new computer and I'm not sure at how much I should cap my FPS. I used to play on 120 FPS+60Hz, now it's like 2.500 FPS+144Hz. Pretty sure that's an overkill and strains the computer for no reason.

How much FPS would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
dung eater
try 1000, try 2000, if you don't notice a difference go with the lower. difference in input lag is 0.5 ms, very little. between 500 and 1000 it's 1ms, not that much either.

you will get less tearing with higher fps, but if you don't notice it in the first place it doesn't matter (no frame sync things enabled).
Topic Starter
Nattsun

jaaakb wrote:

try 1000, try 2000, if you don't notice a difference go with the lower. difference in input lag is 0.5 ms, very little. between 500 and 1000 it's 1ms, not that much either.

you will get less tearing with higher fps, but if you don't notice it in the first place it doesn't matter (no frame sync things enabled).
I just changed the game to fullscreen and capped the FPS to 2000. Can you even tell the diffrence between 1000 and 2000 FPS? I guess not lmao, placebo ftw

The only diffrence I notice so far is that I hit everything 8ms too early (probably because I had 8.4ms delay on my old computer).
Endaris
No, I can't.
Attenox
Unlimited is fine don't worry is just osu it won't burn your PC lol
WavePoint
Cap your FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor. More FPS than refresh rate is rather unnecessary because the monitor can't pick up extra FPS.
Topic Starter
Nattsun

WavePoint wrote:

Cap your FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor. More FPS than refresh rate is rather unnecessary because the monitor can't pick up extra FPS.
Idd the monitor can't but you have a delay with low fps. 1000/fps=delay
Sayorie
Frametime matters more than FPS. I used to play with 5.0ms, now 1.5ms with my laptop, <1ms with my rig. Lesser frametimes means smoother performance, and generally it helps a lot.

WavePoint wrote:

Wow I got triggered. You don't know shit. Take this time to learn.
Topic Starter
Nattsun

Sayorie wrote:

Frametime matters more than FPS. I used to play with 5.0ms, now 1.5ms with my laptop, <1ms with my rig. Lesser frametimes means smoother performance, and generally it helps a lot.

WavePoint wrote:

Wow I got triggered. You don't know shit. Take this time to learn.
Frametime=how steady your FPS is rite? So capping my FPS would be beneficial if I have some drops. So far it was was pretty steady on 2500fps in windowed and 3500 in fullscreen mode. I guess I'll stay with 2000 FPS.

Thanks for your input.

EDIT: Watched the video, apparently no fps cap is the way to go 8-)