forum

Opinions on TV Size Maps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MarshallRules
Hey there, I currently have mixed feelings about TV Size/TV Edit maps. They are short and sweet, usually fast paced and fun to play, but whenever I FC them and get PP I feel as if I'm cheating. They always give a ton of PP for such a short play time. Most of my 100PP plays I have right now (only a few to begin with :P) are TV Size or just pretty short maps. I never get the same satisfaction from TV Size maps compared to when I FC a 3-4 minute song.

Kind of unrelated:
Apparently my friend was also telling me TV Size maps are just for "noobs trying to pp farm" and I don't want to be seen that way. :|

Should I avoid TV Size maps? What do you guys think?
7ambda
tv-size should die, unless the map isn't just 1/2 spam
7ambda
nice, KupcaH deleted his post lol
KupcaH
: D
̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶u̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶

KupcaH wrote:

Nothing wrong in playing TV sizes. Just don't focus on ONLY TV sizes. Play different maps, like technical, slow, fast, long, etc.
Sayorie
Breaking a combo is extremely punishing and ranking is all about FC or nothing, and as someone who can't keep up a combo after four minutes because of my uncontrollable tics, it at least gives some of the pp I should be getting based on my skill. (This is excluding any of my insights about mapping exploitation. This is just about song length.)

If all maps were more than 5 mins long, I wouldn't get any pp at all despite having the skill to comfortably play 5*-6* maps.
Nattsun
Your friend has no clue. There are some really fun and technical TV Size maps, you just can't seem to find them cuz nobody plays them. People assume TV Size with easy pp, because you can just retry the map over and over again, try to retry a 3 minute map (still doable imo) and then a 5 minute map. If you are a special case like me your mind will block even after the first retry, but that's another story.

2 examples of not so farmy TV Size maps that are fun imo:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/314261&m=0 (Frobe's extra and S.Stream's insane)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/303324 (Both insane diffs, can't remember the 3.94*, though)
AncuL
let your true plays dive deep into the best pp performance because of how underrated they are
or better, just stop caring about pp
Summerleopard
I guess TV size anime / any of short ver. song is still pleasant but I would like it not overpowering like almost giving burden to players. It is just suggestion,I don't for long TV-size does not really had good times with me unless I not bother with the overmapping parts. Sometimes,TV Size maps should be avoided if had too many jumps but considering to make it is example for new mapper could be better solution?
:) Well,it is not tolerable if had too much worries on TV Size as it is still good way to inspire people to doing better maps or trying something better in mapping or doing better things on their owns.

It is just my thought not to reject some of them with those maps tho :P
:idea: :idea:
N0thingSpecial
pp is a social construct and life is meaningless

play what ever you want
Sayorie
OP actually means pp maps, not tv size in general. There are lots of good TV size maps actually.
Kyrari
Top ranks are supposed to be filled with PP farm maps anyway is how I see it. I personally wouldn't really care if my top rank is haitai for example but I wouldn't really play maps that I don't enjoy playing in the first place.

jk i actually always choke tv sizes xdddddddddd

N0thingSpecial wrote:

play what ever you want
chainpullz
Has the full size single been released?

If no:

New anime season OP/ED hype.

If yes:

Why would I ever want to listen to a shitty cut that doesnt even include the instrumental solo? People who, when given the option, choose to map the TV size instead are mapping songs for the wrong reasons imo.
Anemic Witch

N0thingSpecial wrote:

pp is a social construct and life is meaningless

play what ever you want
dung eater
Videos are fun.
4773n0x
I think that TV size maps are boring to play because of their length and (usually) simplistic patterns. If you want to be more consistent, you should probably play longer maps instead of retrying TV size maps.
Hibiya-chan
Its not like tv size maps are choke free maps anyway. Here's a cringey thread I made about tv size maps and rly, we get the fact that, generally, they are pretty much pp material and stuff, but some of them can be rly fun (some tv size patterns aren't rly that generic and ez) too if you take the subject of pp out of the topic.
Attenox
Haitai
Buster
quit playin TV sizes
i know short maps that are not TV sizes