forum

How do I keep from shaking?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
raiguard
I have a problem. And if you look at my ranking graph, you can see that it's a big problem.

I can't stop shaking. Even when I just sit down to play, my heart pounds, my fingers get all tense, and I end up quitting within a few minutes because I get frustrated. I love this game to death, but I can't play my favorite maps anymore because my accuracy has shot all to hell. And it's not helping my rank either (I can't gain rank at all, and practically every map I play actually LOWERS my rank).

I've considered switching to be a mouse+keyboard player rather than a pen+keyboard player, because with a mouse it's easier to maintain control with a shaking hand. But it would be a ton of work and even more frustrating to re-learn osu! with the mouse.

I've tried taking breaks (the most recent break was >2 months), but whenever I come back, the issue persists. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sandy Hoey
This ain't something that goes away. It is not a unique issue, nor is it a mechincal issue. The reason this happens is because of anticipation. When you are doing well, your anticipation for mistakes increases and you start producing adrenaline which makes you shake. The only way to get rid of it is to play maps that you are confident on. Then you won't think about failing. However, if you want to get better, this is just something that you are going to have to learn to deal with
dung eater
zen
Braixen-Desu
I remember I had this problem
Try your best to play off your anticipation, I usually do a couple of jump training maps which usually makes me calmer and my nervousness wears off.
Or if you can instead try to warm up to a song, and even if you do poorly, remind yourself that it's just a warm-up.
Attenox
Everyone gets that don't worry, especially on hard maps, or well, maps that you find hard.
I even shake on unranked stuff while having NF on lol. Slowly breathing in and out helps you calm a bit, try that.
Eldawn
Im getting the same probleme but whithout playing osu xd
Wyenra
Try turning the HUD off. I know that I get that feeling specifically when my combo gets higher, HUD off is starting to help
Rikii
I know rank is "important", but this is a game. It's fine to get competitive, but try to have fun and relax with the game.
If your expectation is too high you will get frustrated every time you make small mistake, like you did, and won't improve.
Kyuu-
User Has Deleted Message
Celebration
Literally I have learned to not even think about my scores. Yeah of course once I start getting close to that FC I get happy inside, but I found out how to prevent the adrenaline. It's simple, but may not work for you.

When you are doing good, and there comes a break, I just smile and go "Wow I hit that?!"
Obviously with some re-wording each time but it makes my brain feel confident about itself and my abilities, which calms me and gets my mind off that FC.
snoeflake
Sorry for posting on a dead thread but, Make sure to drink plenty of water. Drinking water usually makes me less shaky.
Shiyzo
2 hours meditation every day and opening all 7 of your chakras.