forum

General/Set-up Discussion

posted
Total Posts
show more
Amianki
The "Of Gods and Men" setup I had in the queue a while back had a somewhat similar concept.

I personally think that vanilla masters getting a kill might be too much. If there's already 21 'powers' in the game, there really doesn't need to be more.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, you'd have to be very careful to design it in a way that wouldn't be easily broken with a massclaim. Just by claiming what powers each pair has, it would be pretty difficult to not break the game for town.
Navizel
Well, the servants have their own powers too so I guess there's 28 powers in total...

Command spells can be used to change or block their servants' actions.

Powers won't affect alignment. A master can be scum while the servant is town or vice versa.
Amianki
The problem with having a lot of power is that you have to keep town from confirming too many people's alignments one way or the other. Massclaiming and directing night actions is very dangerous for scum if not properly planned against.
Navizel
A game that prevents massclaim?
Amianki
Actually, power role heavy games should be designed predominantly around a mass claim happening day one.
Nyxa

Navizel wrote:

So I've been thinking about this for a while.. How would a Holy Grail War Mafia work?
14 players - 11 town, 3 mafia?
There are 7 "Masters" and 7 "Servants". The 7 masters have three command spells which they can use to command their servants. Though after a master used all three, they wouldn't be able to control their servants anymore. This would make them a vanilla I guess? Another way to become vanilla is if one's servant is killed. And then I guess there's a qt link for each pairs.
Hmm.. maybe masters won't be VTs and they can still kill each other but they can't kill other servants because servants > masters

and then fucking Berserker is the most OP role because Noble Phantasm

What do you guys think?
Maybe you could use Command Spells to gain an additional vote as well. I didn't like the idea of scum/mafia servant/master pairs, but it reminds me of Gil/Tokiomi so it would probably work. Maybe you could tone Berserker down by removing his ability to vote? But giving a really crazy role to make up for that. I think massclaiming on day one would be silly - think of the fate series where the Servants try to hide their Noble Phantasm for as long as they can to be able to launch surprise attacks and prevent counterstrategies.

I imagine this could actually be a really cool idea.

On another note, could you give an example of what a role might look like? Like one master and one servant example.
Navizel
I'm thinking of preventing mass claims. In Fate series, revealing a servan't true name can put them in a disadvantage.
Instead of a scum-town pair, maybe I could just use the three to be scums and the rest are town.
I don't have any idea about the roles of a master and a servant yet. Only the three command spells one.
Maybe something like one of Shirou's command spell can suppress Saber's Noble Phantasm which is 1-shot vig or smth
Nyxa
Why not put four scums, two pairs?

Also, an idea for roles of master and servant could be:

You are Kotomine Kirei, Master from the Church, and an Executor. Your Servant is Assassin Hassan.
Command Spells - You have three Command Spells. Use them wisely.
Church Protection - Once per game, you can not be nightkilled.

You are Assassin Hassan. Your Noble Phantasm is Division. Your Master is Kotomine Kirei.
Spy - Once per night, you may target a player. If that player performs a Night action, you will know which night action it was. If you get nightkilled, your Master will be informed of that action instead.
Division - If you are killed by any means other than lynching, you do not die; but your class, name, and Noble Phantasm will be made public. Does not work against Anti-Army or Anti-Fortress Noble Phantasms.
You are Kotomine Kirei, Master from the Church, and an Executor. Your Servant is Assassin Hassan.
Church Inheritance - You have one additional Command Spell.

You are Assassin Hassan. Your Noble Phantasm is Division. Your Master is Kotomine Kirei.
Infiltrate - Once per game, you may pick a player. If they are a Master, they'll be knocked out for the Day. If they are a Servant, learn all information about their role.
Division - If you are killed by any means other than lynching, you do not die; but your class, name, and Noble Phantasm will be made public. Does not work against Anti-Army or Anti-Fortress Noble Phantasms.
^Alignment-specific abilities with non-alignment specific roles/NPs would prevent any significant massclaims. I could say I'm Assassin but they'd still not know whether I'm town or scum, even if they knew I'm Assassin Hassan. In the case of Division, even if my identity is compromised, my alignment remains a secret.

Here's an example with Berserker:

You are Matou Kariya, representing the Matou family, for Sakura's sake. You are a Master. Your Servant is Berserker Lancelot.
Blade Wing Worms - Once per game, you can target a player. If they are a Master, they die. If they are a Servant, you die.

You are Berserker Lancelot. Your Noble Phantasm is Arondight. Your Master is Matou Kariya.
Mad Enhancement - You went Berserk when summoned. You can not vote.
Knight of Honor - Once per Day (either during the day or night), you can target a player. If they are a Master, nothing happens. If they are a Servant, gain the ability from their Noble Phantasm, until the start of the next Day. You can only use this ability once on each player.
For Someone's Glory - Your identity, abilities, and Noble Phantasm, can not be discerned by any kind of ability, until you die.
Arondight - Cancels For Someone's Glory and Knight of Honor for the rest of the game. Target two players. The first has their Noble Phantasm revealed, and is KO'd for the rest of the day. The second dies, along with your Master.
In this case, the only differences for the scum versions could be the following:
  1. Kariya's ability is replaced with Crest Worms - You are weak. If your Servant uses an ability two days in a row, you die.
  2. Knight of Honor is replaced with Knight of Honor II - When an enemy Servant uses their Noble Phantasm on you, as long as it is an object, cancel their attack. Their Noble Phantasm is now yours, until you release it; it will then return to them. Does not work if you are already holding a Noble Phantasm.
  3. Noble Phantasm adjusted; Arondight - Cancels For Someone's Glory and Knight of Honor II for the rest of the game. Target two players. The first is KO'd, along with your Master. Their names and Noble Phantasms are revealed.
...Not gonna lie, I tried my best to balance this (with constant death looming and also having to exchange usage of the NP for your only chance to vote) but it still looks kinda OP lol. Anyway, those are some examples of how it could work. Balancing this would be pretty hard, I can already tell. Or I just suck at this.

Also, these were made assuming same-team pairs. Different team pairs would make some of this rather disastrous lol. What do you think?
Drezi
I don't think different alignment pairs would be a problem, that's where command seals could shine? well it comes down to whether you want mason pairs vs a scumteam or 2p neightbourhoods.

4 scum would be too much for a 14p game probably.
Navizel
That looks good Tess. I think I would run Fate/Stay Night instead of Fate/Zero. Considering all the powers in the game, yes, it would be hard to balance. Each pair has a neighborhood btw.

I think it's going to be a flavor only reveal
Nyxa
If you need help balancing you can also contact me. Also stay night would probably be better, the servants there are more balanced imo (f/z berserker is fucking absurd).

@Drezi: I meant this specific setup wouldn't work for different-alignment pairs. Some pairs should always be the same alignment though, for example the Berserker pair. No matter which HGW you'd base it on, Berserker should always lose voting ability, which makes him highly dependent on his Master to achieve anything. Whereas a pair like Saber or Archer could do fine with different alignments, since those are always capable of indepedent action.
Nyxa
I guess I'll set up an F/Z thing myself.
Navizel
Cool. I still have my League Upick so I don't want to worry about this for now.
Xiz
Not sure if this is the best place to put this but:

Hi, I've been playing mafia for a few years. Just found out OSU has a mafia community. Looking forward to playing with you all.
Is there like, a skype group or something I can join? Or is it more of a 'refresh till a game appears' type thing? Thx
Sakura
Well currently we are having 2 games going at a time, so a new game wont open until one of those finish, good to know there's more people interested tho ^_^
Nyquill
does anyone still have the ISo generator
Sakura
p/3288335 it's in this post
Zexion
Dunno if this is the right place to discuss it, but on the new forum layout coming soon™, we'll not appear on the front page.

I wonder if we can do something about it.
GuyInFreezer
Man this new site design makes mafia game toxic with "more pages loading if you scroll down" thing.
Navizel
It's like osu! followed last.fm's design change which made the site worse.
Amianki
I think the new site design is straight up worse in general.
Setsuen
Someone needs to start a petition to make sure that the new forum design never see the light of day again.
Sakura
Maybe we should all migrate to MS
Zexion
It' true we would be okay in MS, but I like the people and the games we have here. In MS it wouldn't just be the same.

Also it's quite obvious we aren't going to stop the forum changes... And that mafia will be almost unplayable in such forum.
Sakura
Well i in'd to mod a game together with pie on the Mini Theme queue over there, if anyone's interested, tho it might be a while until it reaches the top of the queue XD
Hika
That's just disgusting though. I hope that update seriously doesn't go through or else we're done here.
And I would rather not go to MS, I'll be too sad ):
MBomb
I've still never even been on MS, I should probably get ready for the move to there :(
-[Jess]-
once there is fully become the new forum design.I may move to MS.(I think)

like i have a abandon account in there.
Hika

- Magic Bomb - wrote:

I've still never even been on MS, I should probably get ready for the move to there :(
Most depressing thing I've read today )))):
Setsuen
Today is not my day. The train too so long to get to the stop I needed to get to and now I can't login to Epic mafia from school. I blame EM's new IP policy.
GuyInFreezer

Setsuen wrote:

Today is not my day. The train too so long to get to the stop I needed to get to and now I can't login to Epic mafia from school. I blame EM's new IP policy.
It's ok.

You lose nothing from not being there anyway.
Sakura
Who cares about EM anyway
Town of Salem is better
Sakura
If anyone here is interested me and pie currently have a game in signups on MS's mini theme queue: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p7320894 feel free to join, we're co-modding this game
Navizel
Well, that reminds me I have to play that game. After Persona 3 I guess.

also /in-d on that. We should invade that game kek
Sakura

Navizel wrote:

We should invade that game kek
Yes you should ^_^
Zexion
Well ok, that should be pretty cool.
Sakura
Your MS avatar is amazing.
Zexion
Mine?

It's only a silly joke tho...
Sakura
Idk, i look at it and find it funny
Frostings
I'm thinking of hosting an 11p closed setup, it's got some elements which are kinda hard to balance
I wonder if anyone would be willing to give up joining to help me with it :?

it's pretty gimmicky too
show more