forum

Looking for some answers, beatmaps and advice!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yushie
I have been playing for 4 months as it says on my osu! profile, but in truth, when I started, I played for a week or two and got bored. I came back a few months later, and that's when I started playing.

When I came back to osu!, I realized that my accuracy was like 14.78% and my rank was horrible. I started working very hard on improving and seen some improvements.

At the moment, I got the habit of making sure every circle, slider, and spinner is perfect, which makes me playing easy maps (and sometimes normal) with mods like HR, HD and DT to get some pp.

I have noticed that I haven't been improving recently because of that, nor I have been getting a lot of pp.

I tried playing 3 star maps, but either they were like 600 combo, or I missed too much and rage quit. For this, I'm looking for some short 3 star maps :D

I extremely suck at long maps too because I single tap with my keyboard (Tried double tapping, but my fingers just won't do it naturally). Due to this, my finger doesn't function after like a 800 combo map. :lol:

I took a look at some players' profiles that are thousands of ranks under me, and they are playing hard and insane while I'm playing easy and normal. :?

Some questions I have too:
1. How does the weighting system for pp work? Yes, I have read the wiki, but I still don't seem to understand it.
2. Best ways to get pp out of a song?
3. What is pp farming? Heard of that term a lot, which is why I'm asking.
4. Will getting a better score on a song improve the pp amount you get from the song?

By the way, sorry if I put this in the wrong section :P
Sandy Hoey

-Kurenai- wrote:

1. How does the weighting system for pp work? Yes, I have read the wiki, but I still don't seem to understand it.
Every play beneath your top play is only worth a fraction of the total pp from the map. When you get a good score that shows up in your top plays, all of the plays below it lose value. Really, the best explanation is the one that you read on the wiki. If there is a particular part of it you don't understand, then ask

Full combo and high accuracy. Combo is more important than accuracy because even if you get a good acc, you won't get anything without a decent combo

pp farming is finding maps that are worth a lot of pp, but have simple patterns, making them pretty easy to complete and get pp from

4. Will getting a better score on a song improve the pp amount you get from the song?
Most of the time yes. There are a few instances where a higher score does not equal more pp because you had terrible accuracy, but for the most part, yes
Nattsun
People who play insanes at your rank don't really "play" them. Don't worry too much about them, they rush things and are most likely at your level.

Honestly, stop using mods. Don't play for pp, learn the basics like doubles/triples etc. and go step by step to 3* maps. You should aim for 99% accuracy, get lots of maps and just play the game :3
Topic Starter
Yushie

Sandy Hoey wrote:

-Kurenai- wrote:

Every play beneath your top play is only worth a fraction of the total pp from the map. When you get a good score that shows up in your top plays, all of the plays below it lose value. Really, the best explanation is the one that you read on the wiki. If there is a particular part of it you don't understand, then ask

Full combo and high accuracy. Combo is more important than accuracy because even if you get a good acc, you won't get anything without a decent combo

pp farming is finding maps that are worth a lot of pp, but have simple patterns, making them pretty easy to complete and get pp from

Most of the time yes. There are a few instances where a higher score does not equal more pp because you had terrible accuracy, but for the most part, yes
Thank you, that cleared up most of it!

Cirno9 wrote:

People who play insanes at your rank don't really "play" them. Don't worry too much about them, they rush things and are most likely at your level.

Honestly, stop using mods. Don't play for pp, learn the basics like doubles/triples etc. and go step by step to 3* maps. You should aim for 99% accuracy, get lots of maps and just play the game :3
I'll do my best to follow your suggestions, thanks :3 (I already have over 4k maps, but that's probably not a lot)
deidarabochi

-Kurenai- wrote:

Cirno9 wrote:

I'll do my best to follow your suggestions, thanks :3 (I already have over 4k maps, but that's probably not a lot)

4k maps is a lot for someone at your level lol

i would also recommend playing nomod first. yes, it's frustrating at first to try to fc 500/1000/2000 combo maps, but practice makes perfect - without building your fundamentals, you won't get very far in terms of pp. i personally didn't touch HR or DT until i've been able to fc 5.5*+ maps consistently (around 220pp)

as for pp farming, compare the following maps:
- https://osu.ppy.sh/b/979155&m=0
- https://osu.ppy.sh/s/41686

ask yourself which one is the pp farm map and which one isn't
7ambda

deidarabochi wrote:

1 isn't farm, 2 is
Topic Starter
Yushie

deidarabochi wrote:

i would also recommend playing nomod first. yes, it's frustrating at first to try to fc 500/1000/2000 combo maps, but practice makes perfect - without building your fundamentals, you won't get very far in terms of pp. i personally didn't touch HR or DT until i've been able to fc 5.5*+ maps consistently (around 220pp)

Single-tapping a 1k combo won't be the easiest xD
JigglePhysic
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/744305?m=0

Easiest pp farm map in my life.
Hiro-Senpai
This is the kind of a thread that i like. When the op asks for something in a clean way
and knows what is his difficulty range.

Ok so
1. Well the pp system is hard to explain for me. Basically whenever set a new score it is weighted in matter of how much of the actual pp you gain. The top score on your top 100 is always weighted 100% so it is in theory worth the pp that is your score. But in practice it won't give you the full pp, bcuz the rest of the scores that are below the top scores is weighted for less % so they are worth less than they were before. And thats why u get for example 20 pp instead of 100pp etc.

2. The best way to get pp out of the song is probably to hold high combo and get good at fcing. But the ideal is when you combine high acc (like 99%) with full combo on the map. So both combo and accuracy are very important but ofc combo is a bit higher up in the hierarchy, because without combo even with high acc you will get a really small pp score.

3. Honestly pp farming means just that you work for fc's on maps to gain pp. But nowadays some ppl started giving it a bad connotation. So it could also mean that a player usually tries to play maps that give way more pp than the other maps at the same difficulty range. I am pp farming in a way that i like to gain pp and i strive to fc stuff and i see nothing wrong in playing maps that give more pp than it should. I just like pp in general

4. Yes it will push your scor higher on your top 100 scores so it will automatically be worth more pp which will add some "real" pp to your pp count. I recommend to simply focus on getting high acc that way you will get usually the most pp of the maps without any mods, in addition to high combo.

I hope that i helped a bit. I am probably trash at explaining
All the other players that spam this forum with stupid threads
learn from this guy
Hibiya-chan
Don't ignore long maps, they help you build stamina and consistency. Also, as the others said, don't use mods and just play the star diffs with nomod for now. I'm assuming you haven't encountered triples yet since your top plays are pretty much modded easy and normal diffs with some hard 2* so make practicing triples your task for now, trust me, you'll encounter a lot of those in the higher star diffs (and other patterns that forces every player to alternate like streams and such). Pretty much your questions were alr answered here so yea

deidarabochi wrote:

Imo 4k beatmaps is pretty standard :D
hayate13
i know sometimes when u play long maps and have many misses u just fuckin rage quit, but you shouldnt. instead finish the map and play the map again, if u keep retryin or ragequitting u gonna have a bad consistency.

for the doubletapping problem, u are gonna need to learn it if you want to play higher difficulty maps, when you first try to learn it it will feel weird, but keep trying and your hand will feel doubletapping more and more natural.

for the player that are below u and already play maps beyond their paygrade, just ignore them.
kai99
There's a bunch of advice above so I dunno what else I could tell you.

-Kurenai- wrote:

At the moment, I got the habit of making sure every circle, slider, and spinner is perfect, which makes me playing easy maps (and sometimes normal) with mods like HR, HD and DT to get some pp.
Many people dislike the idea of players who are ~4kpp playing with mods but let's be honest. we need it sometimes just to spice up the game. But I advise you to base your plays mainly on nomods, as they are the fundamentals. You can also keep track of your mod plays here

I have noticed that I haven't been improving recently because of that, nor I have been getting a lot of pp.
Yeah. For me, when increasing my star rating, (e.g. 3* --> 3.3*) I usually go nomod --> HD --> HDDT(lower star songs) --> HDHR(lower star songs). By HDDT I don't get a lot of pp nor increase my skill but I still do it for the sake of "squeezing last drops of pp" lel.

I tried playing 3 star maps, but either they were like 600 combo, or I missed too much and rage quit. For this, I'm looking for some short 3 star maps :D
Start with short first, and do some long maps in between. When you get more comfortable, 1k combo will be tough but won't be too difficult. My first 1k combo was so extremely stressing, but after about a month or two after my first 1k combo I could do about five more of them.

I extremely suck at long maps too because I single tap with my keyboard (Tried double tapping, but my fingers just won't do it naturally). Due to this, my finger doesn't function after like a 800 combo map. :lol:
This is a mutual problem in players because stress and choke. Happens to me all the time too.

I took a look at some players' profiles that are thousands of ranks under me, and they are playing hard and insane while I'm playing easy and normal. :?
Don't do it, ain't good for you

Over time, both looking at your profile and checking Tillerino, you'll get the gist of it. Also check the Chrome extension "ezpp".

Basically accuracy is the most important in calculating pp but you have to hold a combo as long as possible.

I'm pretty sure people have answered this question. :)

Yes and no.
Under same mods, the higher score will be counted as the pp song, to what I understand.

Example:
1st try: 99.75% acc, 350,000 score
2nd try: 98.5% acc, 450,000 score
Your pp will be based off the 98.5% accuracy and give less pp than the 99.75% acc because the second try has the higher score.

Under different mods, the score with the higher pp count will be counted.

If that made any sense..
Juan_98
I recently found this map, maybe it fits your playstyle, but you should play the hard difficulty with nomod:
https://osu.ppy.sh/d/235551
It is about 2 and a half minutes long, but is all 1 tap, and it surprised me when I got an A playing it and became my top pp play, then I got an S and reached 47pp (my previous max was 33). So yeah, hope it helps you! :D