forum

When to start which mods and how?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mendacium149
Hi everybody!

So I've been researching this for a while, but I've only been able to incomplete/vague answers. When should I start using which mods in a manner that will make me a well-rounded player and follow a healthy learning curve? For example, what are the skill sets I should know before starting HR? Should I start it only when I begin busting out 300 pp plays? Also, what type of maps should I work on to introduce myself to them? I would mainly like to know what direction to go in, so any response is appreciated!

-Mendacium149
7ambda
Everything, don't neglect one skill for another.
Hiro-Senpai
Well it is very hard to say. I think it is more about the ones enjoyment and his abilities. Some people might like to start playing double time or hard rock very early. I am not a fan ot such doings but you know nothing wrong with that.

From my personal experience (Which doesn't mean that i am 100% correct) But double time is quite beneficial to start when you can set around 160-180pp plays. But to do that you have to build up your higher bpm skill and ar 9.67 reading. But from what i ve seen quite a lot of players are able to do that while being able to set 180pp mods to a certain extent so it is a good mod to start at that time. Hr is not so different but imo is way harder to learn so you might aswell wait a bit with learning it.

and you never can go wrong with hd if you like it.

But here is a cool guide to dt or hr which can help you to get into the mods

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DDu ... rxqWo/edit

I hope that mister Endaris won't punch me again ;V
Endaris
I'm not One-Punch-Man xd

Based on your profile you're good enough to advance in any direction you like. So...what is fun for you?
If you want to develop a well-rounded skillset it is generally a good idea to participate in tournaments as they challenge you in a lot of areas, including DT/HD/HR and most of all maps that aren't farm.
N0thingSpecial
DT - DTing doesn't really start until you DT 4* maps/anything above 230 BPM. Before that it's just no mod with higher AR. DT 3* farm maps if you want but you won't gain as much from no mod maps

HR - do as you please, but I don't recommend HR as your main focus until like ~5k pp. But it really depends on you, there are plenty of 5 digit rank players who are better at HR than me due to them having the reaction and speed, if you feel like you have good rhythm sense you can occasionally play HR to learn ar10, od10 and the precision to aim small circle size.

HD - just different style of reading nothing with noting, go aheah, just don't become too reliant on it to read stack heavy maps.

EZ - yes

This is just from personal experience, take what you want from this.
Nattsun

N0thingSpecial wrote:

DT - DTing doesn't really start until you DT 4* maps/anything above 230 BPM. Before that it's just no mod with higher AR. DT 3* farm maps if you want but you won't gain as much from no mod maps

HR - do as you please, but I don't recommend HR as your main focus until like ~5k pp. But it really depends on you, there are plenty of 5 digit rank players who are better at HR than me due to them having the reaction and speed, if you feel like you have good rhythm sense you can occasionally play HR to learn ar10, od10 and the precision to aim small circle size.

HD - just different style of reading nothing with noting, go aheah, just don't become too reliant on it to read stack heavy maps.

EZ - yes

^basically this.

I'd learn HR first if I am at that point where nomod is not "viable" anymore. AR9+DT is just too fast, I think if you go step by step to AR10.4 you will do better than just jumping straight into the cold water.

And imo you can't answer your question with numbers. You should decide for yourself if it is smart to learn something new when you just dipped your feet into 5* maps. It won't become easier with HR. You could play HR and DT for fun, though. I do that occasionally, but I don't have the intention to learn these mods to get pp with them.

NINJAEDIT: Never abandon nomod!
dung eater
Try hd and easy.
deidarabochi

N0thingSpecial wrote:

EZ - yes

something worth noting is HR and DT are the mods that require you to practice to get good at. HD mainly serves to maximize pp and get a spot on the highscores. For example, in HDHR, HR is the thing you'll mainly learn (generally CS5.2 AR10 OD10), and HD is just an extra addition. likewise, playing HD by itself is like adding HD to nomod.

it's also worth noting that HRDT is a whole new thing to learn, separate from HR and DT imo (high bpm, CS5.2+ AR11 OD11). even in DT, most players don't generally play above AR10.3 (AR9 DT)