forum

Do you use spacing to help you read rhythms?

posted
Total Posts

Do you use spacing Do you use spacing to help you read rhythms? help you read rhythms?

Yes, always.
46.60%
Sometimes, it's useful and could help me in some parts.
36.89%
Seldom, i mainly read rhythms by knowing the music and the map.
13.59%
Never. It's much easier to know the song than to notice spacing.
2.91%
Total votes: 103
Topic Starter
mm201
just curious.
Mismagius
Nice try. As if a bad spaced map had something to do with the song, except jumps and shit.
Topic Starter
mm201
I dunno, I find FFFanatic and James maps use bad spacing very well.
Card N'FoRcE
It depends on the structure of the map.

If i see a map using patterns based on regular spacing, I'll adapt to that concept.
If i see a map using "double-spacing" patterns (Shinxyn and gowww's maps, for example), I'll adapt to that.
If i see a "new-combo jump" map, I'll adapt to that concept.
And this goes on for every kind of thing you can think of that's been used until now.

My only demand when i see weird but playable patterns is that they are consistent tyhrough the mapset.
Luna

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

If i see a map using patterns based on regular spacing, I'll adapt to that concept.
If i see a map using "double-spacing" patterns (Shinxyn and gowww's maps, for example), I'll adapt to that.
And this goes on for every kind of thing you can think of that's been used until now.

My only demand when i see weird but playable patterns is that they are consistent tyhrough the mapset.
Couldn't have put it better~
Shiro
I read spacing before reading the approach circles. Which is why stupid spacing or badly spaced maps make me rage~
Verdisphena
Sometimes, but the spacing really help me to follow the rhyrhm
Equivalent_old
Most of the time. If the rythm go slow, Im expecting the the gap is flat/no changes and the reverse, when it come to intense music, I'm expecting it goes jump and I can read very nicely. Not to mention that, i map song where the part is going fast, I increase the spacing instead of changing inherited time.
Sakura

Odaril wrote:

I read spacing before reading the approach circles. Which is why stupid spacing or badly spaced maps make me rage~
This is i see a bunch of notes equally spaced, i'd expect them to be equal in the timeline as well, on the opposite case, unless the music hints me for a jump, or the spacing has a REALLY BIG INCREASE, i tend to think its later in the song, but when i see the approach circle i go to hit it sooner and end up getting a 100 or 50 or even a miss.

Also if you see notes placed equally but the last one has more time before the last one, or the opposite, the last one is closer but equally or higher spaced, then it's an anti-jump and should be fixed, when notes suddenly become very close together i go with approach circles, when notes suddenly become high spaced i continue the rythm i was using or just try 1/1s, after hitting the first jump, the rest of the jumps should come naturally, this is of course not the case when they dont fit the music, hence they make me trip, and i point them out on my mod posts.

tl;dr - if jumps fit the music they are readable as long as the first note of a jump, when spacing becomes very small, approach circles will help find the rythm, all other cases can be spacing inconsistencies / bad jumps or anti-jumps and will trip me
Lybydose
"depends"

I guess I'll vote the 2nd choice.

I interpret almost everything timing related in a map based on circle fade-in order and the amount of time between when circles fade in.

I interpret note positions based on approach circles.
Derekku
What Lyby said, basically; although "proper" distance spacing obviously helps a bit.
Shiirn
I play catch the beat so there is no real spacing guidelines to read rhythms with. Vertical spacing can be trusted 1000%, and horizontal spacing varies so wildly that being able to read it at all is the biggest chunk of playing ctb.
Waryas
I play by feeling/intuition/reflex.
Avedas
What Lybydose said is pretty much what I do. I don't have any trouble reading galvenize maps so inconsistent spacing isn't really an issue for me but as long as it's somewhat intuitive and fits with the music it's alright.
KRZY

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

This plus sightreading. When I'm playing HD, it is only after I played the map with nomod once or twice to memorize any spacing issues that might trip me up had I played HD on my first try.
xsrsbsns

KRZY wrote:

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

This plus sightreading. When I'm playing HD, it is only after I played the map with nomod once or twice to memorize any spacing issues that might trip me up had I played HD on my first try.
This.
Ekaru
Needs an option for, "I read by the spacing when I first started, but don't anymore."

That said, I use spacing to tell when there's a 1/4 stream. That's about it; I've seen so many poorly spaced maps now that I don't use spacing anymore, and I'm experienced enough now that I don't need the spacing. I just... tell.
MarKKaM
Can anybody explain, what does "spacing" mean? :roll:
Hiyorin

MarKKaM777 wrote:

Can anybody explain, what does "spacing" mean? :roll:
See: Beat Spacing
NatsumeRin
Sometimes. i find myself notice approach circle more and more when my skill improved (no offending to anyone)
Sure

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

Oh yes.
Lizbeth

ykcarrot wrote:

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

Oh yes.
Oh yes yes.
those
The only problem is that jumpy maps don't follow this spacing concept all the time. But I guess that's why they're fun on their own level.
Luvdic
Only when the approach rate is pretty slow...

But even then, if a part goes with a 1/2 1/2 1/2 stream, and all of the sudden has a 1/1 stack (not anti-jump), they do actually make me combo break quite often...
ziin
Do you use spacing to help you read rhythms? help you read rhythms?
Yes, always, but I mainly read rhythms by knowing the music and the map. It's much easier to know the song than to notice spacing.

The approach circles do not help when there is too much going on or you already know when the next note is. What the approach circles do is tell you wherethe next note is, especially if you already know when it is.
Hika
Always, besides, it makes the map more fun to play.
pieguyn
I never use spacing at all. The only time I like constant spacing is when it looks nice. :) :) :)

Most of the time, I rely on when the notes fade in. This causes me to sometimes miss three or four notes in a row if I read the map wrong. Sometimes I use spacing, so if there are two equally spaced notes that aren't equally spaced on the timeline and it's not intuitive enough I'll miss there...
Raging Bull
Yep. So I get tricked my some inconsistent spacing sometimes.

pieguy1372 wrote:

I never use spacing at all. The only time I like constant spacing is when it looks nice. :) :) :)

Most of the time, I rely on when the notes fade in. This causes me to sometimes miss three or four notes in a row if I read the map wrong. Sometimes I use spacing, so if there are two equally spaced notes that aren't equally spaced on the timeline and it's not intuitive enough I'll miss there...
orz your map, masterpiece, made me first thought it was a stream.
Echo
Somewhere between the second and third options for me. I think it also depends quite a bit on how musical the person is and how well they know the song.
EvianBubble
If I know the song then it's more the third option, but for others the second. You can't rely on spacing all the time! :P
FireballFlame

Echo wrote:

Somewhere between the second and third options for me.
Me too.
I use both the spacing and the song, but I assign priorities to them as I play, judging from the mapping style.
So if everything in a map is distance snapped, I'll use that for reading.
But if there are a lot of "violations", I'll focus on the music instead. Most Shinxyn maps are a good example for that; I tend to almost completely ignore the spacing on those.
Zekira
Gonna post here before Nekone does... People who played Chat! x3 probably knows why lol
Neruell

KRZY wrote:

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

This + what really helps reading the rhythm, is the rhythm itself aka listen to the map/song that you are playing :p
maay
who doesn't? gl playing cheer! at first try
mochi
Who doesn't use spacing to help read maps? It's not the only thing you use for reading rhythm but it's always there to guide you.

edit: lol wow, i should have read the post above me
Chuggles
It's probably bad that I do, but if I see a map with beatspacing other than "fast notes next to each other, slow ones further away", I feel like punching a tree.
Ekaru

Chuggles wrote:

It's probably bad that I do, but if I see a map with beatspacing other than "fast notes next to each other, slow ones further away", I feel like punching a tree.
You must love http://osu.ppy.sh/s/18434 !

But yeah, though I don't use spacing that much, it's still annoying when a map is spaced like that with absolutely no consistency at all. It makes no sense, flows weird, and just makes the map a pain for those who do use spacing to read.
Sander-Don
Of course I do.
show more