forum

Sudden burst of improvement?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fritz
For a while my skill was rather stagnant and unchanging. Out of the blue a few days ago I started crushing beatmaps I had previously been getting B's on. Just last night I shot up from 152k to 135k rank in about 4 hours. Is this unusual for osu! players or does it happen to some of you guys too?
N0thingSpecial
look at my graph
Ayya Novak
that happens to me all the time, usually I can't even feel the sudden skill spike until it comes, but it feels so great when I realise I finally play better

and yea, that's kinda widespread among osu players
Sayorie
sudden burst of pp you mean
Topic Starter
Fritz

Sayorie wrote:

I think both of our avatars are the same character O.o
kai99

Fritz wrote:

Sayorie wrote:

I think both of our avatars are the same character O.o
Choosecake
I wish
Hibiya-chan
It happened to me 3 times now and the most recent one was just about a month ago, I think I was just in the 60k-ish rank with 2.2kpp when suddenly I noticed something odd in my gameplay. Then, after a while of practicing since I'm just getting used to my new playstyle, I managed to fc maps beyond 4.7* (which was my highest fc so far that time) and eventually, I started passing 5* and even fc'ing some of them. Went from 60k to 40k in about a month. Still surprised tho that all my top plays (except one) are submitted within a span of 2 months xD

My opinion on this is maybe players overcome certain "walls" in their improvement and when they finally get over it, they just easily charge through the rankings till they come across another wall in their gameplay.
Edgar_Figaro
TBH I've never had a sudden burst of improvement in any of the 4 gamemodes. My skill progression is rather linear with a ever slowing down steepness of my skill as additional improvements are smaller and smaller with each improvement as improving gets harder. My rank graph may have small spikes but that's just usually denoting days I PP farmed or I was having a good day of playing (usually on weekends when I'm not tired from work, but this isn't a skill increase just playing better temporarily due to less fatigue)
Sieg

N0thingSpecial wrote:

look at my graph
Nattsun
It's not improvement, pp =/= skill.

BTT: Happens to me too, but I can explain why it happens to me. I usually grind for skill and don't farm at all, but if I do, I rank up and have "spikes" in my graph.
Comfy Slippers
Well in my case, the problem was mentality. Stagnating a lot skill-wise where i was consistently playing 4-4.4* (no crazy AR,CS) in a longer period and suddenly getting solid acc od harder maps and getting good enough to do "ok" on 5.2*ish maps. Placeboo effect mixed with improvement is the thing in our cases, and 'tho i didn't jump rank-wise all that much -- i'd say my chances of hitting 5-digit rank soon are high.
Asop
Happened to me yesterday. That's how it always goes for me at least.
LEMEME123
I shot from 700k to 500k in 39 mins then I did 490kmto 390k in about the same time