forum

Mental Health Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
DaddyCoolVipper

B1rd wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyone hears voices. Don't they?
No
silmarilen
I have autism.
DryBones81
asperger

thats pretty much only thingy i am diagnosed with :^)

but since life in general is difficult i have had several mental breakdowns for several reasons (latest being in september 2016)

i am also diagnosed with lennygarasu
< ̄`ヽ、       / ̄>
 ゝ、  \ /⌒ヽ,ノ  /´
   ゝ、 `( ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /
     >     ,ノ
     ∠_,,,/´”
Aomi

Tae wrote:

Anxiety and depression...ha...ha...
Zain Sugieres
My parents think I have schizophrenia and depression xd

But I won't go to a psychologist because fuck that Im healthy
Aurele
that is a cute thread. if any of you need someone to talk to, hit me up!
Izzywing
I don't really talk about it a lot, but I suffer from PPD (paranoid personality disorder. yes, diagnosed.) It hasn't really affected me on osu, you'll notice that I try VERY hard to stay drama free in terms of mapping stuff, as an active member of the mapping community since I don't really want this crap to affect me irl.

It sucks, but it helps that I'm aware of it. Even despite that, it can affect me. I still have severe trust issues, and it really feels like there's nothing I can do about it sometimes.

Despite it, I try to be social. It's hard. I spend a lot of time online because it's much much easier for me. The only other thing that I really allow myself to meet up with others for is smash bros (tournaments and stuff). I still go to class normally, but there are days where I just want nothing more than to stay in my room because it feels like the whole world is against me. It's gotten much better since high school though, so I try to stay positive :)
Foxtrot
Mental disorders are not cute, nor adorable. Please don't call this thread either of those.
Aomi

Foxtrot wrote:

Mental disorders are not cute, nor adorable. Please don't call this thread either of those.
^

it basically sounds like you're pitying the thread as well as the people who are part of it :v
_handholding
I very much agree with foxtrot
Aurele

Foxtrot wrote:

I didn't meant to say it in this way. I'm not trying to pity anything or anyone neither.

I said it was cute in the way that people can talk freely considering the fact that we are a very big community.

Sorry if that was misinterpreted.
Aomi

Gabe wrote:

I didn't meant to say it in this way. I'm not trying to pity anything or anyone neither.

I said it was cute in the way that people can talk freely considering the fact that we are a very big community.
i totally get your intentions and i know you didn't mean it in a negative way,
but it really does come off as pity & it's better if you said something like 'sweet' rather than 'cute'
Aurele

Aomi wrote:

Gabe wrote:

i totally get your intentions and i know you didn't mean it in a negative way,
but it really does come off as pity & it's better if you said something like 'sweet' rather than 'cute'
Yeah I agree, sorry for that
Hika
Also yes, if anyone has a problem or feels like they need a shoulder to cry on, my inbox is always open.
Even though I have issues of my own I like to help everyone else try to be more open to talking about them :)
Topic Starter
Sentencings

B1rd wrote:

Not really, but I think you might be talking about Schizophrenia.
LEMEME123
I really need to go to a doctor coz I suspect I have bipolar disorder
Railey2

LEMEME123 wrote:

what makes you think that?
LEMEME123

Railey2 wrote:

LEMEME123 wrote:

what makes you think that?
i have noticed symptoms of bipolar disorder over a while and it is quite concerning
Railey2
yeah i figured, but what exactly?

intense mood swings are something that many people experience, but that doesn't mean that they are bipolar.
Most people that self-diagnosed bipolar disorder just have mood swings to the negative (depression), but not to the other extreme (mania).

Remember that you need to have at least one account of a manic mood swing before you can be diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
B1rd

DaddyCoolVipper wrote:

B1rd wrote:

No
What was the point of this post?
LEMEME123

Railey2 wrote:

intense mood swings are something that many people experience, but that doesn't mean that they are bipolar.
Most people that self-diagnosed bipolar disorder just have mood swings to the negative (depression), but not to the other extreme (mania).

Remember that you need to have at least one account of a manic mood swing before you can be diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
Yeah I see I've noticed the swing to the other positive but it would prolly be like hypomania, not full mania. So it would be bipolar II
Railey2

LEMEME123 wrote:

Railey2 wrote:

Yeah I see I've noticed the swing to the other positive but it would prolly be like hypomania, not full mania. So it would be bipolar II
i just took a look at your profile and, as it turns out, you're VERY young.

They used to call these moodswings tantrums, not symptoms of bipolar disorders. These sort of outbursts are more than expected when children enter puberty, because
a) their hormones are running wild
b) the parent-child relationship changes, acts of defiance become more common etc.

i think there's no need to think of yourself as ill yet.

Unless your ''symptoms'' are very extreme (i knew someone who woke up in a different city with no memory of what happened the last two days after a manic episode), there is no reason to assume that what you experience is outside the normal range of behavior for people your age.

There is a reason why self diagnosis generally gets discouraged. People really love categorizing everything, including their own mental health, which makes the prone to latch on to labels such as bipolar.
Since ''normal'' isn't really thought of as a satisfying label once you have an abundance of other labels at your disposal, people tend to think of themselves as ill, ignoring all the advice that they might be given by professionals.
But thinking of yourself as ill when you're actually normal can have horrible drawbacks. Better stay away from all that and ignore the whole mental health community until you realize that you have an actual condition that causes a severe impairment of your day to day life.
picky picky_old

LEMEME123 wrote:

speaking from experience, i diagnosed myself with it as well when i was around your age; i never went to a doctor, but i dont think i had it back then now that i think of it

youre young, friend, even more possibly at the start of puberty, and then theres obviously gonna be a lot more of your hormones in your body doing work, and this causes for your mood to swing; if you really think you have it, see a psychiatrist rather than a doctor, theyll be much more helpful. but its likely it really just is your hormones.
Hika
I don't know why anyone would want to self diagnose a mental disorder.

That's so disgusting and down right fucked up. It's not fun being mentally ill.
Aurani
What the fuck are you talking about, I'm mentally ill and I assure you I'm enjoying it with every fiber of my being. The world would be a much duller place without them.
Railey2

Hika wrote:

its a way of stereotyping. As i said, its basically a human instinct to categorize everything they see.
On top of that, people don't like it when they don't understand something, and putting a label on something makes it way easier to grasp for them, which aids their understanding.

Then there's also in-group out-group dynamics or peer pressure. Diagnosing yourself with a disorder is something that many teenagers do, so its harder for others to resist the temptation.

These 3 factors are already more than sufficient to explain the amount of people that diagnose themselves without actually being sick, but i'm sure there are more factors.

i don't think that its disgusting, its just very unfortunate
B1rd
Sounds like a perfect way to describe transgenderism.
Railey2

B1rd wrote:

Sounds like a perfect way to describe transgenderism.
Some of the people who think of themselves as transgender aren't actually transgender, yes.
All the things i mentioned surely apply to transgenderism just like they would apply to depression or bipolar disorder.

it particularly applies to everything that is easy to misinterpret, like:
Oh, i've been so sad recently - must be depression: (could just be regular sadness)
Oh, i've had mood swings recently - must be bipolar disorder: (could be hormones, or a normal response to stress)
Oh, i kind of hate my own body - must be transgenderism: (could just be low self esteem in general)
identifying as transgender or gendefluid might be particularly tempting for people that hate themselves, as it gives them a way to separate themselves from their so hated identity.

That being said, the recent increase people that come out as transgender can also be explained by the fact that it becomes less and less stigmatized, which means that people that would have hidden themselves can now come out freely.

What the ratio between actual transgender and wrongly proclaimed transgender people is, is anyones guess.

Aurani wrote:

What the fuck are you talking about, I'm mentally ill and I assure you I'm enjoying it with every fiber of my being. The world would be a much duller place without them.
Narcissistic personality disorder? :V
Aurani
Among others :p
B1rd
No doubt the transgenderism bandwagon is a result of our fucked up social climate, rather than a repressed social group suddenly coming into the light after centuries.

But like I am gonna get triggered about people who have the audacity to make a judgement about their own person without the approval of (((psychologist))) pseudo-scientists.
Railey2
please go on, i'm curious. PM is fine too if you don't want to post here
Rurree
I am prone to overthinking, but that's basically much it. I don't think I have any personality disorder (100% doubt it), nor can I claim that I know a lot about it that I can talk to anybody who do have these problems and actually prove helpful, but I wish that those who do experience any of these personality disorders and mental illnesses urgent well-being in the near future and that all of you receive the help that you all need.
Railey2

B1rd wrote:

No doubt the transgenderism bandwagon is a result of our fucked up social climate, rather than a repressed social group suddenly coming into the light after centuries.
Why can't it be both?
Aurani
I really think that it's more of the latter than the former. "Transgenderism", as you so aptly named it, existed for almost as long as the concept of society itself, but only now do they really get to voice their opinions due to all the social, technological and political advances in the last 80 years. I really don't think it's some kind of "fucked up social climate" that's causing them to appear "out of nowhere".
Railey2

Aurani wrote:

I really think that it's more of the latter than the former. "Transgenderism", as you so aptly named it, existed for almost as long as the concept of society itself, but only now do they really get to voice their opinions due to all the social, technological and political advances in the last 80 years. I really don't think it's some kind of "fucked up social climate" that's causing them to appear "out of nowhere".
i would agree. Transgender people have been around for a long, long time. They were more common in many societies than one might suspect.

Personally, i think western society now undergoes a change similar to the change that occurred when the stigma around homosexuality slowly disappeared. People said the exact same back then: ''it's just a phase, he's just calling himself gay because other people do it'' etc.

to some people that might actually apply, but i expect the ratio between real transgender and wrongly proclaimed transgender people to be tilted in strong favor of the real transgender people.
_handholding

B1rd wrote:

But like I am gonna get triggered about people who have the audacity to make a judgement about their own person without the approval of (((psychologist))) pseudo-scientists.
I would have liked that post a lot if you didn't add the pseudo-scientists at the end ><

psychology is actually a real science with many variables and such. I may not address psychologists as scientists but not pseudo-scientists either.

I'm going off topic aren't I?
Reunilu
Depression is the only thing I'm diagnosed with, but I have crippling shyness to the point of being unable to approach people, even if I talk to people on a day-to-day basis. Pretty sure it's supposed to be social anxiety, but I prefer not to label stuff since well... I haven't talked to a prefessional about it. People I have talked to about it, however, have just said they don't understand it and I should grow up.
picky picky_old

Hika wrote:

thanks dude

Reunilu wrote:

Depression is the only thing I'm diagnosed with, but I have crippling shyness to the point of being unable to approach people, even if I talk to people on a day-to-day basis. Pretty sure it's supposed to be social anxiety, but I prefer not to label stuff since well... I haven't talked to a prefessional about it. People I have talked to about it, however, have just said they don't understand it and I should grow up.
people who tell you to just "grow up" from things like that, are people with an ill intent, and can end up being toxic for you. honestly talk to a professional about it, talk to people who actually cares and will be willing to listen to you and not tell you to grow up.
Railey2

picky picky wrote:

Reunilu wrote:

people who tell you to just "grow up" from things like that, are people with an ill intent, and can end up being toxic for you. honestly talk to a professional about it, talk to people who actually cares and will be willing to listen to you and not tell you to grow up.
People who talk like that are people that see mental health issues as a character flaw, not as a disease to be treated.

it is a very common sentiment, particulary among older people that didn't have the privilege to grow up in a society sensible of mental health problems.
This does NOT mean that their intent is malicious. They are often simply ill-informed, not ill-willed.
After all, people that take on this attitude will often be the own parents - people who most of the time are the opposite of ill-willed.

But i do agree with your advice. Changing peoples beliefs can be tedious, so it might be better to talk to approach different people for support and keep quiet around anyone else.
Reunilu

picky picky wrote:

Thanks for your concern, but the last time I went to a professional (or rather, professionals), they said that I need to pretend that the thing that's causing my depression (a controlling dad with a tendency to nearly hit my little sister when she makes him mad via non-required homework, and I'll leave it at that) isn't happening and/or there's nothing wrong with the thing that causes my depression and everything is my fault. Professionals don't leave a good taste in my mouth.

As for those toxic people (as you put it), they happen to be friends with a very close friend of mine who happens to have professionally diagnosed anxiety and depression and I'm extremely blessed to have her as a friend (she also understands the whole shyness thing). As long as I hang out with her, those toxic people will keep hanging out with me.
show more