forum

Should you play maps over and over to complete them?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LumpNote
I have seen multiple streams and videos where people play beatmaps over and over again to complete them. But on the other hand I have seen streams where people just will play a map and then get off it and then play it later. They usually will get half way through and fail and then just quit. I saw a YouTube video where this guy said that replaying maps will hurt your reading skills. Do you guys think grinding out maps is better than not replaying them? I just want to know because I want to get better in an efficient way. I'm in to grinding out and everything I just want to know how I should grind. Thanks
kai99
I've seen multiple discussions too and imo- at this point- it just depends on the person.
I sometimes grind (~40 retries) to fc a map and it usually doesn't work. If you're going to retry, ~20 is enough because you don't really progress after that count.
Otherwise, I just get mad at a map and swap after about 4 retries.
However, whether it be my low skills or whatever, I don't think retrying has ever hurt my reading skills. But this really just seems to depend on the person.
ManuelOsuPlayer

LumpNote wrote:

I have seen multiple streams and videos where people play beatmaps over and over again to complete them. But on the other hand I have seen streams where people just will play a map and then get off it and then play it later. They usually will get half way through and fail and then just quit. I saw a YouTube video where this guy said that replaying maps will hurt your reading skills. Do you guys think grinding out maps is better than not replaying them? I just want to know because I want to get better in an efficient way. I'm in to grinding out and everything I just want to know how I should grind. Thanks

I think It's really good to retry the map If you miss at same circle everysingle time. So you can learn how to tap that circle and export that new knowledge to other similar maps, helping you to do it the same way in the future. If you're having random misses every time you retry the map better stop retry and finish it or go to a easier one first.
It's like when you start tapping triples, Isn't bad retry the same triple until you learn how to do it. Then you will able to sightread better next triples on other maps.
When i say It's good retry i mean for maps where you can do 95% of the map really well but you miss everysingle time at the same slidder/circle cause you don't know what are you doing bad. So replay it until you understand why you was missing will help a lot.
Play maps from the start to the end can help you too trying to understand the rythm. For example i play a map where i miss the first triple, i keep playing the map and 3 circles after a slidder make the same sound that the triple what i miss should make. So i can retry the map, do the slidder well and keep doing the song better to the end thank's to don't lose the rythm cause miss the triple.
I recomend you play maps where you can get >96% acc. You go slowly working on that so you will have more stable acc and aim.
You can use relax mod while using keyboard when you can't get the rythm playing a song. The hit sounds will help you to tap the song better and understand the rythm.
All this depends on your playstyle. If you are interested on good acc, retry maps with close to 95% acc and up them to >98%. If you're interested on aim play slow maps where you don't miss and go step by step doing maps all time more hard.

I think this is the best way, but not the most fun.
You can do the same than i do and just play what you want/like without even know wtf you're doing and have more fun than playing easier maps. You will improve slow but you're going to have fun playing a game. Probably more important than tryhard for ranks and skills. You're going to get better by playing anyways, no matter what you do. Play only songs what you enjoy when playing solo.
Sayorie
At your skill level just keep playing for improvement.
If you like the song then feel free to retry, but play as many maps as you can.
Your general goal should be getting more experience, not completing a map.