forum

Aspire 2017 Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
-GN
i just tried [Tranquil Chipmunk] and got an ending autofail, so i think it should have been disqualified. or does it work fine under certain circumstances?
fastmarkus
Few good entries, it turned out better than I expected from the contest.

It will probably be between Somber Isis and Versatile Mallard, though. They're fantastic in their own way!
GenoClysm
Played all of them, Tranquil Chipmunk, Versatile Mallard and Ferocious seal were my favorites.
AnceriI Sacred
Somber Ibis is my religion
AnceriI Sacred

fastmarkus wrote:

Few good entries, it turned out better than I expected from the contest.

It will probably be between Somber Isis and Versatile Mallard, though. They're fantastic in their own way!
i agree, too much was just generic samey BS
and when the song drops like a frickin meteor they just either slow down to a crawl or dont even care anymore and do the most uncreative thing ever and go "DEATHSTREAMS R HURD TO PLEY AND SUPR AWESOME HURR DURR"
7ambda
I liked Tranquil Chipmunk since it kept structure in mind, unlike some of the other entries. There were a couple of sections that looked bland, but structurally, it looked nice. Also nice stop-sv sliders.

Versatile Malard had some cool ideas like 04:29:525 (1,1,1,1,1,1) and 02:20:296 (1,1,1,1,1).

The hitsounding in Uncouth Constrictor was way too overdone, and became unnecessarily distracting starting at 01:04:000 (1), especially in the kiais where the hitsounds completely lost relevance and didn't feel connected with the song.

Somber Ibis is an obvious win.
alice soft
Astonished Cormorant ends earlier when played in a multiplayer room, lol'd.

Good job to all the mappers who have participated.
Renumi

F1r3tar wrote:

Somber Ibis is an obvious win.

AnceriI Sacred wrote:

me pretty much,,,,
i did like the idea behind bold tiger's map however! :>
KingBranBran
I played all of them, and i came to these three: Tranquil Chipmunk, Versatile Millard, and Courageous Badger.
Kibbleru

AnceriI Sacred wrote:

Qiryu
Can't wait to play these three maps in a year lol :D
pingal1ty
Bold Tiger around 3:30 min rocks
lcfc

AnceriI Sacred wrote:

revurii

AnceriI Sacred wrote:

heyronii

-GN wrote:

i just tried [Tranquil Chipmunk] and got an ending autofail, so i think it should have been disqualified. or does it work fine under certain circumstances?
I was wondering about this one as well.

Someone in multiplayer passed "the end" though. https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7551792
Pachiru
I think that for the next time, it would probably good to add a rule that say that the map should be passed by the bot and with a decent difficulty o:
7ambda

-GN wrote:

Considering only Auto has to pass it, then it technically isn't grounds for disqualification.
sabergod
Has anyone else autofailed on Ferocious seal?
Pandano
In terms of actually FCing a map, only a few out of 12 have done it.

[Somber Ibis] and [Forlorn Thrasher] are both fun to play and look pretty appealing to the eyes :3

Some other seem like spamming sliders and partly ignore the rhythm, imo. So I think the above 2 maps are my current favs. :oops:
iPhong
I like Reverent Bison more not only it was qualified by 100% auto but also having good sliders! I know it's impossible to SS the ending but it's on the top of my voting list lol.
Kaeldori
Destructive axolotl is very cool, it's my favorite entry.
Pituophis
Somber Ibis and Forlorn Thrasher are my favorite visually. Also really liked how Destructive axolotl played. But Somber Ibis unplayable for me, so only put a vote for Forlorn Thrasher and Destructive axolotl.
Sonnyc

-GN wrote:

Tried playing [Tranquil Chipmunk], and I'd also like to confirm the entry was unpassable with the current design. The 2B usage of 01:42:153 (1,1,2,3) was the one causing such circumstance as I've observed. (The first slider does not display any hitburst when finished.) Multiplays somehow always display a scoreboard so guess that wouldn't really work imo.

Aspire returns for 2017 wrote:

1. The map itself must be able to be passed, with mods or otherwise. Maps which autofail (defined as immediately failing at the end of the map when played by Auto) will be immediately disqualified, no questions asked.
Although autofail is defined under "not failing when played by Auto", unfortunately I don't think [Tranquil Chipmunk] was a valid entry due it being techinically unpassable when played by human...

sabergod wrote:

Has anyone else autofailed on Ferocious seal?
and so did this entry. 2B around 01:53:230 kinda made the entry technically unpassable.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Similarly to Evanscent, we can adjust the entries post-contest to ensure that they're at least barely playable. And when I say barely I mean like, vaguely in the human realm of possibility, not significantly altering more than 10-20s of gameplay tops.
Sonnyc
Good to hear!
Tanomoshii Nekojou
:o :o
loloplayer420_DELETED
Autofailed at many maps at the end; dont know if they are passable in another way, should have been disqualified if not
Pachiru
Somber Ibis can't be launched in Taiko, it seems like it's doing an endless loading.
Miotismon
Ya know,
why does Versatile Mallard have 12 to minus infinity BPM?

WillCookie
overall, most of these had some issues, but they were decent
no i'm not modding lol
here are my individual opinions for each map:
Astonished Cormorant
sliders are great, but the stacked spinners can really lag or crash the game on older computers.
also, the ending... what the hell is that?
Bold Tiger
decent, i saw a couple of very minor problems
Courageous Badger
also decent, but... 01:23:691 (1,2,3), 01:26:153 (1,1,1), and 01:28:614 (1,1,1) don't really go with the song...
Destructive Axalotl
timing was a bit off in the beginning, especially with these sliders:
00:01:230 (1) - end tick in weird place
00:12:307 (1) - end tick in weird place
00:07:692 (1) - repeat ticks don't go with song
00:08:692 (2) - extra unnecessary repeat tick
i've also noticed that some of the bell hitsounds near the end don't go well with the song.
Ferocious Seal
this one didn't have problems, but it looked like not much effort was put into the note placement.
Forlorn Thrasher
same with Ferocious Seal
also, it looks like this one is under 70% drain time
Reverent Bison
great, but there are a few timing problems:
00:01:230 (1) - why is the start tick here? why?
00:12:461 (2) - end tick makes no sense
also that last slider looked amazing :/
Somber Ibis
00:17:538 (1,1) - how do these sliders go with the song at all?
00:57:846 (1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1) - these sliders looked amazing
01:53:227 (1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1) - just a bunch of straight slider spam
01:58:148 (1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1) - ^^^
all the 2b at 3:52:610 - 4:29:379 make me wonder if a human can even pass this map... even cookiezi wouldn't be able to pass this
Superior Thrasher
the beginning lacked effort, and the constant 5% hitsound volume... why?
Tranquil Chipmunk
00:19:692 (1,2,1,2,3,1,2,1,2,1,1,2,1,2) - do i need to say it?
everything else looked good
Uncouth Constrictor
no major problems with this one, but this map may have overused hitsounds.
00:01:384 (1) - the end tick... was it supposed to go with anything?
00:12:461 (1) - ^
00:20:307 - 00:36:923 - the placement...
this map looks like it's under 70% drain time as well
Versatile Mallard
2:08:912 - 2:11:373 - extreme lag when editing, slight lag when playing
can't click song setup while editing without game crashing... users might get triggered by this
no star rating? the hell?
slider tick sound is too loud at the beginning...
Bold Tiger and Ferocious Seal were the best out of these twelve, in my opinion.
7ambda

WillCookie wrote:

all the 2b at 3:52:610 - 4:29:379 make me wonder if a human can even pass this map... even cookiezi wouldn't be able to pass this
I've already seen Doomsday and some guy on Reddit pass it. It isn't that difficult to pass as long as you have a decent understanding of 2B patterns.

Tbh, I could probably even pass that with enough tries.
WillCookie

F1r3tar wrote:

I've already seen Doomsday and some guy on Reddit pass it. It isn't that difficult to pass as long as you have a decent understanding of 2B patterns.

Tbh, I could probably even pass that with enough tries.
you're right, i passed this with halftime

but my brain's dead now
Pituophis
After playing Destructive Axalot, a slider slide sound was stuck looping after I finished the song. Had to restart to make it go away.
Dewo0

AnceriI Sacred wrote:

Greydus
All of the maps were pretty good, and I regret not have voted for Tranquility Chipmunk nevermind, but in my opinion the most game breaking one was Astonished Cormorant, with the HP bar missing, the not registering key presses, and the insta-fail on Auto at the middle of the map, also the colors fit pretty well (please don't kill me ;-;).
Also,

AnceriI Sacred wrote:

Foxpal

AnceriI Sacred wrote:

Vincent T

-GN wrote:

How do you download them?
7ambda

Vincent T wrote:

How do you download them?

so yeah bro, that's how you do it
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... TwdXgTjSh1
Here is the playlist,I hope that I can help all of you guys :P
show more