forum

I need advice, anything

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Luminoose
I love Osu, it's a fun game with nice people but as of late it's become so damn unplayable for me. I'm at a point where, despite the fact I'm doing better than ever before, there's a block in my way that's been there since day 1 but has only recently started posing a problem.
For starters, I am bloody obsessed with SS and accuracy. I'm not sure where the obsession began-Perhaps it started when I started muddling with mods for the first time and got an SS on the first song I tried with them, or maybe it's been that way from the start. But either way, once I discovered how satisfying it was to achieve SS, as well as the realisation that top players such as Cookiezi had very few SS, I ended up trying to get SS in every single song I downloaded. In the short run, that didn't turn out too badly-I have 639 SS and 100% accuracy under my belt. In the long run, this has absolutely destroyed any chance of becoming good at Osu-I can't bear to miss a single circle and wince when I notice a score of mine that isn't an SS, and end up replaying songs dozens upon dozens of times in order to achieve the SS I desire, which is agitating when a song remains out of reach. I can't SS anything that's higher than a 2 star, no matter how hard I try and no matter how many times I replay them. I know I could pass 3 stars if I so desired-But, in order to do that, I would have to abandon the 100% accuracy I tried so damn hard to achieve, one of the only things that brought me pride. The thought is tempting, but I'd be giving up pretty much the only thing that stands out about me. But I want to be a good player-I know I'll never be the next Cookiezi or WubWoofWolf or HappyStick or whoever, but I want to improve regardless.
Another problem I'm having is that, whenever I play Osu, I'm always playing in the early hours of the morning-And by that I mean stuff like 4 or 6 in the morning, without a wink of sleep. Because of that I struggle to focus at times and miss even the easiest of circles-Even whilst writing this I've rewritten sentences multiple times and am hoping someone will be able to make sense of any of this. The reason I do this is because my partner tends to hog the computer when he's asleep-The only times I get to use the computer is either when he goes to meet friends (which is only on Fridays) or when he goes to sleep, at which point I finally get the opportunity to use it. I don't dare ask to use it when he's awake either, as I feel too rude to ask him, especially when he's playing with and helping out his friends in games like Battlefield and Fallout Online, and feel gulty for taking him away from his friends so I can fail to SS the same goddamn map a thousand times in a row.
So...Yeah. That's all I really had to say. I hope I've put this little post in the right place. I'm sorry if nothing I say makes sense, I'll probably come back to this later and rewrite it so it makes more sense. Any advice is much appreciated, although I may have to ask you to explain some bits and pieces as I'm still learning about all there is to know about Osu. Thank you for reading, and I hope you have a splendid day.
Jukkii
You kinda answered your own question. Dont go for SS but go for FCs, anyone, literally anyone can get 100% and that many SS with only low star maps. Its not something to be proud of really. The difference between your SS scores and C's is that the maps he plays are way way higher OD, which means getting good accuracy is incredibly hard, you probably couldnt even get >90% acc on those maps. Also just as a quick advice dont use mods yet. Stay nomod until 4-5k pp or beyond. As for your playing times you should work it out with him or get your own PC
Yolshka
You see, the route you're taking is not much different from the norm, it mostly just takes longer.
Unless your goal is to score as many SS-s on maps regardless of difficulty, rather than improving.
Can be stressful that is true.
The way I go about it, is that I don't chase after SS-s, despite what the average person may think, I just let it happen. They come, with time, either way.
I say, just practice how you want.

-Jukke- wrote:

You kinda answered your own question. Dont go for SS but go for FCs, anyone, literally anyone can get 100% and that many SS with only low star maps. Its not something to be proud of really. The difference between your SS scores and C's is that the maps he plays are way way higher OD, which means getting good accuracy is incredibly hard, you probably couldnt even get >90% acc on those maps. Also just as a quick advice dont use mods yet. Stay nomod until 4-5k pp or beyond. As for your playing times you should work it out with him or get your own PC
I disagree with this though.
I feel like people who have not played such low OD maps are unable to accurately judge their difficulty. Don't get scared away if people think it's not an achivement, you should be working towards your own achivements.

Accuracy is being precise with your tapping, the OD only changes the feedback, it's value doesn't matter at all, it's hard to judge your accuracy without it, but it's not impossible.

Some of the low OD maps are defenitely hard, to ss that is, probably because of the unusal ar pairing.

Either way, regardless of what you practice, you're going to get pretty good at it with time, but only at that.
The first step could be cleaning your mind, and deciding what you would like to get good at, not an easy decision at all, and the thought does not occur in everyone's mind.
Jukkii
OD also changes how hard it is to SS the map in question. if the OD is very low accuracy is barely needed at all, which is why i said anyone can do it. you can get feedback even at low ODs from the hit error bar too. UR is also one of the most useful ways of getting feedback. the OD value definitely matters when it comes to this game, if you edit the same map to a higher OD its going to be harder to SS
Hibiya-chan
I'm sorry to say but making your SS consistency goal come true, if you're advancing through the star diffs, is nearly impossible to achieve. SS in 1*-2* is waaay different than SS in the higher star diffs. As Jukke said, the higher the OD on a map diff, the harder it is to acc which means a very low chance for an SS for you. Also, don't use mods yet, stick to nomod at your stage. For now, if you want to become at least good in the game, I advise you to progress through the star diffs at a normal pace, ignoring SS, why not be contented with just S but just set a high acc standard like, 98%-ish+ so that you still have that high acc contentment in yah (not telling you to retry and retry till you get that acc in a certain map tho, just telling you to aim for that acc level). For example, assign a specific star range you can decently play at with decent acc like 1*-2*. After you can get consistent FCs and high acc with each play from that diff, then move on to 2*-3* and so on. This is the method I did in order to, not be the best, but be at least kinda decent in playing this game.

P.S. You can use the PF mod if you want but, as you said, it'll ruin your chances in becoming good in the game as restarting over and over for an SS will definitely ruin your consistency.
Yolshka
Why are you people distancing yourselves so hard from things like aiming for SS-s or early mods ?
I know "98% nomod FC" is supposed to be a safe route, but it's really coming up every single time.

I don't know why the worry, it's not like you're destined to fail, i don't see a reason for a lack of confidence, really.

I'm mostly talking about players who have experienced their first wave of troubles/lack of improvement so far..
Endaris
You can try to play harder maps with the Score v2 mod.
Plays done with that mod won't be submitted to the server so you don't have to worry about submitting non-SS plays. It is also more difficult to SS maps with it as you will also get 100s for inaccurately hitting sliders and as such it is good practice for your accuracy.

Personally I think that SSing stuff is an individual thing; for me it would be too restrictive and it is definitely important for improvement that you play maps you cannot SS regardless of what your goals are.
Early mods however (mostly HR/DT) are really not that good of an idea as they reduce your training on low AR maps. I also disagree with Jukke on the low OD. It is definitely hard to SS when the AR is low, the map is not a TV size and we're getting to 2.5* maps that are not totally generic.
kai99
I'm just going to leave this here though - that 100% acc is, tbh, impressive.
I could never do it with my patience lol.
I Give Up
playing slow maps is different from playing "fast" ones. one isnt harder than the other, they are simply different ways of playing. i know some players who will almost never ss an ar8 map but can whip out ar10 ss scores with relative ease, or vice versa.

my advice to you op, and i really mean it when i say this, look after your health first. get full sleep, eat healthy and exercise. doing this will improve your quality of life, and incidentally improve your osu skills.

i also see you are using mouse only. learning to use keyboard will make things easier and less stressful unless youre willing to handicap yourself for challenge. though it seems you arent coping with that at all.
ManuelOsuPlayer

Luminoose wrote:

I love Osu, it's a fun game with nice people but as of late it's become so damn unplayable for me. I'm at a point where, despite the fact I'm doing better than ever before, there's a block in my way that's been there since day 1 but has only recently started posing a problem.
For starters, I am bloody obsessed with SS and accuracy. I'm not sure where the obsession began-Perhaps it started when I started muddling with mods for the first time and got an SS on the first song I tried with them, or maybe it's been that way from the start. But either way, once I discovered how satisfying it was to achieve SS, as well as the realisation that top players such as Cookiezi had very few SS, I ended up trying to get SS in every single song I downloaded. In the short run, that didn't turn out too badly-I have 639 SS and 100% accuracy under my belt. In the long run, this has absolutely destroyed any chance of becoming good at Osu-I can't bear to miss a single circle and wince when I notice a score of mine that isn't an SS, and end up replaying songs dozens upon dozens of times in order to achieve the SS I desire, which is agitating when a song remains out of reach. I can't SS anything that's higher than a 2 star, no matter how hard I try and no matter how many times I replay them. I know I could pass 3 stars if I so desired-But, in order to do that, I would have to abandon the 100% accuracy I tried so damn hard to achieve, one of the only things that brought me pride. The thought is tempting, but I'd be giving up pretty much the only thing that stands out about me. But I want to be a good player-I know I'll never be the next Cookiezi or WubWoofWolf or HappyStick or whoever, but I want to improve regardless.
Another problem I'm having is that, whenever I play Osu, I'm always playing in the early hours of the morning-And by that I mean stuff like 4 or 6 in the morning, without a wink of sleep. Because of that I struggle to focus at times and miss even the easiest of circles-Even whilst writing this I've rewritten sentences multiple times and am hoping someone will be able to make sense of any of this. The reason I do this is because my partner tends to hog the computer when he's asleep-The only times I get to use the computer is either when he goes to meet friends (which is only on Fridays) or when he goes to sleep, at which point I finally get the opportunity to use it. I don't dare ask to use it when he's awake either, as I feel too rude to ask him, especially when he's playing with and helping out his friends in games like Battlefield and Fallout Online, and feel gulty for taking him away from his friends so I can fail to SS the same goddamn map a thousand times in a row.
So...Yeah. That's all I really had to say. I hope I've put this little post in the right place. I'm sorry if nothing I say makes sense, I'll probably come back to this later and rewrite it so it makes more sense. Any advice is much appreciated, although I may have to ask you to explain some bits and pieces as I'm still learning about all there is to know about Osu. Thank you for reading, and I hope you have a splendid day.
I don't see nothing bad on that. I recommend you If you're making SS at 2* maps no mods, play 10 songs 2'5* and finish them. Once you finish these songs, no matters your acc, work on up them to SS. So you will have another time more 100℅acc on your profile.
Once you have the 10 songs 2'5* SS go for 3* 10 songs pass, and once you pass them work on SS. You will improve.
Going for SS all Isn't bad, and Isn't imposible. You like get SS go for it. I like high AR, other people like jumps, other people like get pass on hardest songs... Just enjoy what are you doing and keep on it. You will get better If you keep trying and you improve while you do it.
Favi
If you want to stop your bad habit of retrying all the time you should play multiplayer in a lobby that plays 2-3 star songs.
kai99

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

You like get SS go for it. I like high AR, other people like jumps, other people like get pass on hardest songs... Just enjoy what are you doing and keep on it. You will get better If you keep trying and you improve while you do it.
^ Legit. Amen.
Nattsun
Where is Bikko when you need him...
markii
I forget who said it, but "don't base your accomplishments in osu! on numbers, base them on feelings" if you are having fun keep doing what you're doing, if you're not having fun, figure out what is fun for you. When you start feeling compelled to do things that's a good time to consciously ask "Do i WANT to do that?" if you aren't just chasing results do it and enjoy. If something else that sounds fun pops into your head, try that out, you're not very good at this new thing? cool that rocks being good at things sucks, that's when they get boring, because by that point you've run out of new experiences.

Personally there's something very calming about clicking circles, when I log into osu! I hardly ever eant to stop playing unless I'm too tired to play.