forum

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zekira
(...fuck, now it seems like I have a reason to buy a 3DS. I think.)

"Square Enix has a new Final Fantasy game on the way for 3DS, but it's not quite the RPG we're used to. The new game is titled Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. Yes, this is that Final Fantasy themed rhythm game we've all been waiting for.

Revealed in this week's Jump, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is a "Theater Rhythm Action" game. The game has field scenes set in dungeons and towns, and battle scenes that resemble the side-view battles of older Final Fantasy games. However, everything is played like a rhythm game, where you tap the screen in accordance with prompts.

Needless to say, the game's music is pulled from past Final Fantasy games. Characters, including the likes of Lightning and Cloud, are also in the game, only they're shown in cute "chibi" style form.

There seems to be somewhat of a story to the game. Jump says that the classic Final Fantasy characters are fighting to return light to the crystal.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is currently without a final release date."

So, this is the 3DS Final Fantasy game eh? A cute lil spinoff~ err lol I forgot to edit out aqua's line right here
Azure_Kite
Ah, yes. I was reading up about this on BemaniStyle.

I'm definitely gonna get this when it comes out. I needed another reason to get a JP 3DS

With games like 3nd Impact and Theatrhythm, Portable rhythm gaming is gonna be in this season
Topic Starter
Zekira
Gonna pull out some money to get myself a 3DS first... that is, if the games I expect to come out actually get announced.
Quaraezha
A Final Fantasy Rhythm Game? That's cute. lol
Jarby
This is making me far more excited than it should.
Vext_old

Jarby wrote:

This is making me far more excited than it should.
My thoughts exactly.
LuigiHann
Seems like it has some potential to be fun. Those screenshots don't give me a lot of hope for well-designed rhythm gameplay, but I'll wait for at least a video before I pass judgment
Gabi
I'm only buying this because of Final Fantasy
Behon

Gabi wrote:

I'm only buying this because of Final Fantasy
That's not a good excuse to buy things these days (With the possible exception of the re-releases on the PSN and Virtual Console).
Haseo_old
This game will get annoying if you keep on playing the same battle music AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN...
Still not buying a 3DS
awp

Haseo wrote:

This game will get annoying if you keep on playing the same battle music AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN...
Mother 3 was pretty cool
Haseo_old

awp wrote:

Haseo wrote:

Mother 3 was pretty cool
I meant the battle music you tap to the beat to.
awp

Haseo wrote:

I meant the battle music you tap to the beat to.
yeah, I know. That's what I was getting at. Mother 3 did the same thing. I'm only ~6 hours in, but it hasn't gotten boring/repetitive yet because they mix it up.
Quaraezha
I'm actually glad they repeat the music over and over again.
It makes it more recognizable that way.
LuigiHann
Reportedly, Theatrythm is going to have more than 50 songs, so it shouldn't be too repetitive
Behon
First footage:

Ivalset
Man, this game looks terrible.

I keep forgetting this is a site for a rhythm game, though.
adam2046
It actually seems better than I was expecting.
Although I wasn't expecting much...
[Au]-[Revoir]

Quaraezha wrote:

A Final Fantasy Rhythm Game? That's cute. lol
Absolutely.
Vext_old
The character design makes me sad face, is it supposed to be chibi? Just looks derp.
Drakari_old
That... Didn't look good to me. Seriously, they made a minigame for walking?
awp

Ivalset wrote:

Man, this game looks terrible.
you couldn't possibly be more correct

I was expecting something closer to Mother 3 but with a bigger emphasis on timing and rhythm, and instead it's a touch-based rhythm game similar to osu! with final fantasy themed storyboards/videos

I can accept the art style for what it is (when there IS an art style and it's not just some FMV from the 90s) but that really looks dull as a game
Meikyuuiri Tsumi
Big FF nerd here so this is wonderful news :) :)
Gabi
Well, i hope that is the easy levels shown in the video, else there isn't that much fun about it ;(.
show more