forum

Porter Robinson - Goodbye To A World [Taiko|CatchTheBeat]

posted
Total Posts
show more
MBomb
This is it! This is really the end. Through my career as a mapper, I've met a lot of people, done a lot of things, made a lot of mistakes. But I don't think I'd take back that experience for anything in the world. As much as I say I hate this game, it's been a home for me. A shelter from a life that was hard to live. An escape from reality. I think now though, it's about time I move away from running away from everything and enter the real world like I should have done long ago.

Whether you know me as the guy that got kicked from the BNG for bullying people, the guy that speedranks his stuff with some random taiko BN, or even as a terrible 3 digit player that can't play converts and only plays nomod - I hope that I can leave you in a way that allows you to remember me as something I've tried for the past year to become. A mapper.

Thank you for all the great times <3
Topic Starter
Ascendance

- Magic Bomb - wrote:

This is it! This is really the end. Through my career as a mapper, I've met a lot of people, done a lot of things, made a lot of mistakes. But I don't think I'd take back that experience for anything in the world. As much as I say I hate this game, it's been a home for me. A shelter from a life that was hard to live. An escape from reality. I think now though, it's about time I move away from running away from everything and enter the real world like I should have done long ago.

Whether you know me as the guy that got kicked from the BNG for bullying people, the guy that speedranks his stuff with some random taiko BN, or even as a terrible 3 digit player that can't play converts and only plays nomod - I hope that I can leave you in a way that allows you to remember me as something I've tried for the past year to become. A mapper.

Thank you for all the great times <3
happy end of a world

i really want to leave this game please save me im only here for cwc god kill me also whats a comma bye
Sc4v4ng3r
M'kay looks like I misworded so many stuff on my pop post that I actually don't know what did I even mean. Oh well, sorry again, misworded a lot of stuff so might have sounded quite weird ;-;
Still, got clarification of timing from many other people and they said it was fine(no logs - sorry was sick at that time so I couldn't think straight), and since you did properly reply to those other 2 mods I think it is safe to say that the map's ready.
Let's go, and I hope that this is the last time I'm doing this ;w;

2nd Bubble~
Topic Starter
Ascendance
Thanks again <3
alacat
hi hi!
Please don't forget to fix the title "Goodbye To A World" before getting Approved.
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/5830198

Good luck :3
Topic Starter
Ascendance

alacat wrote:

hi hi!
Please don't forget to fix the title "Goodbye To A World" before getting Approved.
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/5830198

Good luck :3
Ah, thank you alacat! I'll apply this when mbomb does his qualify check!
MBomb
literally the actual porter robinson mapper of ctb is here to make sure this set never gets qualified

[cya nerd]

00:18:777 (1) - Distance to this is a little low (especially considering previous distances were a bit higher so this should be fixed for consistency as well as comfortability), try x:288 with a slightly higher tilt.
00:23:152 (2) - Reduce it to like x:240, distance can be a little surprising right now, and also for a bit more consistency with the previous part.
00:40:964 (4) - x:416 would feel better on this to make it more obvious that it's a dash.
01:45:847 - Could be nice to map this vocal, to me it seems to fit a 13/4 slider here.
01:47:800 (1) - Sounds nice to snap this on the 1/12 before the white tick, the vocal seems a bit too early for the note right now.
01:49:714 - Same here, 3/1 works fine here.
01:51:560 (1) - Sounds like it starts a 1/16 tick earlier to me.
01:53:308 - If you do the others, sounds like a 11/6 slider here.
01:55:339 (1) - Sounds like it starts 1/12 earlier.
01:59:362 (2) - Whole slider sounds a 1/12 tick late, try moving it back 1/12.
02:05:964 (3) - If mapped to the vocal, it sounds a lot better as a 7/12 repeat slider, but this misses the synth beat, so you might just want to make it a 4/3 slider with no repeat.
02:06:862 (4) - Sounds like it should be a 1/12 tick earlier to me for the whole slider.
02:10:652 (3) - This one seems like it starts a 1/12 tick earlier but ends at the right place.
02:17:839 (3) - This doesn't really work as a repeat slider because the end sounds like it's 1/12 early but the rest sounds fine, try just doing the slider without the repeat and add the note in after.
02:25:300 (4) - Whole slider sounds like it should be 1/12 earlier.
02:41:277 (1) - Vocal ends a 1/2 earlier than the current slider does.
02:43:152 (1) - Try 15/12 slider to match the pitch change with the slider end.
02:57:995 - What's this green line even doing?
02:59:870 - ^
04:47:810 (1) - Sounds like it starts a 1/16 tick too late, try moving it back 1/16. Should also end on the next 1/3 tick, rather than the downbeat, bpm is a bit messed here.
04:48:933 - Green line in the middle of nowhere.
04:51:589 (1) - End it 1/3 later.
04:52:683 - This greenline represents my life. Meaningless.
05:00:183 (1) - End that on the 1/1 tick, it sounds so awkward having the slider held past any sound.
05:01:160 (1) - Should end a 1/2 beat earlier at the 1/6 tick to make it a 19/6 slider.
05:03:708 (2) - Sounds a lot better ending on the 1/2 tick because of the stronger sound in the vocal there to imply it finishing.
05:04:667 (1) - Sounds much better ending with the vocal at the 1/12 tick, so having this as a 35/12 slider makes a lot more sense.
05:06:528 (1) - 3/4 repeat slider is a lot better here to match vocals. (Although honestly, I think it might be better to make it 3/4 slider and then a circle because of the sound cutting out between the vocal).
05:07:534 (2) - Sounds better ending a 1/12 tick earlier as a 7/12 slider.
05:08:159 (3) - This sounds far too late. Try it on the 1/3 tick at 05:08:080 - .
05:08:471 (4) - This slider just kinda sounds like it comes from nowhere. Remove it?
05:11:276 (1) - 35/12 slider here would sound good to make it fit the vocal better.
05:15:049 (1) - 13/12 slider would be nice here to fit vocal (this is also like the only place you use a circle instead of slider for these vocals). 1/1 could also work, it's personal preference.
05:15:837 (2) - Could sound better ending 1/12 later.
05:17:780 (3) - Would recommend getting rid of the repeat and just putting a circle on the 1/2 afterwards, it fits the vocals better in terms of timing and also makes it so that the hold in the vocals doesn't go through the silence.
05:18:717 (1) - Could work better as two sliders honestly, one from the start to 05:19:889 - , and then from 05:20:592 - to 05:26:373 - . A 1/4 slider could also be used at 05:27:037 - here to make it fit the drum sound thing here, and a circle at 05:27:233 - .

Alright done, sorry for not going through distancing much but listening to everything here to make sure it's snapped correctly actually tired me out. I'll check them after you've fixed all this. This song just really doesn't work for CtB, but I tried my best to make it work.
Topic Starter
Ascendance
oh baby this was an interesting one.

Basically, I went through and adjusted a LOT OF stuff. There were timings that weren't pointed out here that I adjusted as well, but there were also ones that I kept because they snap to instruments (which are correctly snapped) rather than vocals which I think you were trying to enforce. In the event that vocals and instruments were in similar places, I prioritized synth snapping for simplicity.

I fixed the distance things, but as we talked about in my discord, I think I'll keep that section a bit emptier since I like the buildup created after that segment.
MBomb
She out!

Approved <3
Topic Starter
Ascendance

- Magic Bomb - wrote:

She out!

Approved <3
she out lmao!

edit: for zirox - there was no timing changes therefore it didn't need a rebubble :d
defiance
gratz
Surono

- Magic Bomb - wrote:

[cya nerd]
gratz
Kimitakari
I like it!
xEchoAlertx
Apostraphes still come after x's, btw. Should be "Chromoxx's Divergence," not "Chromoxx' Divergence."

Further reading: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/621/01/

There are other qualified maps currently making the same mistake.
Topic Starter
Ascendance

xEchoAlertx wrote:

Apostraphes still come after x's, btw. Should be "Chromoxx's Divergence," not "Chromoxx' Divergence."

Further reading: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/621/01/

There are other qualified maps currently making the same mistake.
it's my style
Chromoxx
Words that end with a sound like "s" or "z" can be 's or just '.... since the x is pronounced like "ks" this is perfectly fine...
OzzyOzrock

xEchoAlertx wrote:

Apostraphes still come after x's, btw. Should be "Chromoxx's Divergence," not "Chromoxx' Divergence." done to keep consistency with past diff names
Thanks for the mod!
xEchoAlertx

Chromoxx wrote:

Words that end with a sound like "s" or "z" can be 's or just '.... since the x is pronounced like "ks" this is perfectly fine...

Well, I did just post from a reputable source on the matter. (American High school students will nod in agreement and discomfort, regarding the Purdue OWL.) You need not put an additional "s" when you're dealing with plural possessives that end with "s" already; otherwise, you put the "s." I certainly never heard anything about words ending with x's not needing the "s" when making a possessive, during any of my schooling: it was the fox's kill, it was the box's mold, etc. (And I would pronounce them like "foxes" and "boxes," there.)

Obviously this isn't a big deal at all, but I don't see a problem with nitpicking over things that could be easily changed, especially if they cause some amount of cringe in some proportion of readers. If you can find me a source that backs up your own assertion about forming possessives with words ending with x's, then I'd be quite curious to read it. Maybe the issue is just one of American spelling/pronunciation conventions versus general English conventions (in the vein of "color" versus "colour"), and I'd be interested to learn more about such things.
Chromoxx
Well, i guess it's a thing i picked up from german grammar after all, either way it's better to keep it consistent with my already existing diffnames, if you still frel triggered just think of it this way: the diff name is in german ;)

http://german.stackexchange.com/questio ... iv-s-bei-längeren-namen
xEchoAlertx

Chromoxx wrote:

just think of it this way: the diff name is in german ;)

http://german.stackexchange.com/questio ... iv-s-bei-längeren-namen
YES this is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to read :)