forum

Ayane - Azurite no Hitsugi

posted
Total Posts
show more
Myxo
The longstream section on the highest difficulty doesn't feel properly introduced, and it's overwhelming to play because its difficulty isn't matching the intensity of the section compared to how other sections of the song are mapped.
First of all, about the introduction of the stream. You're using lower spacing here 00:22:026 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - as a transition between almost nothing and a streamy section which is a good idea, however the stream continues with high spacing directly afterwards instead of there being a break (in form of sliders or something) between both segments, so the introduction actually makes getting into the stream part harder than it would be without it (because it just makes the already lengthy stream even longer). In my opinion you should either use a couple reversed sliders from here 00:22:720 - or change the introduction stream 00:22:026 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - to be sliders to make this a better transition.
Then secondly, the section itself feels too intense to play. This part is arguably not the most intense part of the song, since the drum roll in the background is rather calm. What I'd have expected is either a lot of short sliders instead of streams so the tapping follows mostly the other layers of the song besides the drum roll (similar to how you did it in Insane), or streams with significantly smaller spacing.
Another bummer are the huge jumps between sliders and the transitions to the streams that follow. 00:27:402 (1,2,3) - 00:30:870 (1,2,3) - 00:32:258 (1,2,3) - etc, the distances of these are comparable to 1/2-jumps in the chorus for example, but these slider jumps have even less leniency so they feel more difficult. Transitions from slider jumps to streams are very difficult to land well with large distance because it requires very precise landing and adjustment of movement speed within a short timeframe. The worst offenders here would be 00:27:576 (2,3) - 00:31:044 (2,3) - 00:31:737 (2,3) - and 00:33:125 (2,3) -.

I really hope this issue can be resolved before this goes to ranked, as I think the map is really nice otherwise. I really like the usage of circles placed in a line. Here are some additional (minor) thoughts in case this gets disqualified, that you could look into:

00:09:540 (2,1) - I'd like to see a larger spacing between these two as (1) is the start of a new vocal phrase here, which you also marked with the NC usage. You usually seperated these phrases (not just vocals) with larger spacing like 00:01:217 (3,1) - 00:08:500 (6,1) - 00:10:928 (3,1) - so it would feel appropriate to do the same here.
00:16:997 - Feels odd to ignore this beat, as you didn't miss out on the strong vocal beats before. It's essentially the same emphasis as 00:15:610 - just with a slightly different pitch, so it would help to add a circle here. I think 00:17:171 (1,2) - being empty works well as an anticlimax though.
01:40:408 (1,2,3) - I would have loved to see these having the same slidershape (you could make a nice rotated pattern out of that) because the emphasis and pitch on the vocals are the same for each. The singer puts a huge emphasis on those being the exact same sounds so it would be great if the map could reflect that. https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/8205292
Pentori
few things worth mentioning about the kiai in the highest diff, on top of desp's concerns

01:25:668 (3,4,5) - the spacing variation is too drastic for what the music provides, u should be looking to space 01:25:841 (4) - more
01:33:471 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - stream seems totally uncalled for, you drown out the effect of specific triplets such as 01:33:645 (3,4,5) - as well as overmap most of the blue ticks. i feel this could be done a lot better with 1/2s
01:35:379 (2) - doesn't seem to get clicked to anything, and has a strong snare on the end
01:38:674 (5,6,7) - i dont think the white tick triplet is necessary. u have a strong beat on 01:38:674 (5) - and nothing supporting the blue tick 01:38:760 (6)

01:39:714 (4,5,6,7,8) - this is 1/3
01:42:836 (5) - and this is 1/2
both 01:39:714 - and 01:42:489 - follow the same beat structure in the music

additionally, with the section at 00:22:026 - u normally represented the piano with a respective kick slider 00:26:015 (1,2) - 00:27:402 (1,2) - yet u seem to stop doing this in certain places 00:28:789 (1,2,3) - 00:29:483 (1,2,3) - 00:30:177 (1,2,3) - only to return to the same concept later on 00:30:870 (1,2) . perhaps look to employ this concept more consistently
[]
some of the statements also are applicable for the insane, such as the snapping and stream choice.

hope u consider some of this
Little

KaedekaShizuru wrote:

OK, wait me
我不会放过你,更不会原谅你,记住
Sorry, Little
I don't mind :>
As long as my map gets ranked eventually -_
KaedekaShizuru
:thinking:
Topic Starter
I Must Decrease

Desperate-kun wrote:

The longstream section on the highest difficulty doesn't feel properly introduced, and it's overwhelming to play because its difficulty isn't matching the intensity of the section compared to how other sections of the song are mapped.
First of all, about the introduction of the stream. You're using lower spacing here 00:22:026 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - as a transition between almost nothing and a streamy section which is a good idea, however the stream continues with high spacing directly afterwards instead of there being a break (in form of sliders or something) between both segments, so the introduction actually makes getting into the stream part harder than it would be without it (because it just makes the already lengthy stream even longer). In my opinion you should either use a couple reversed sliders from here 00:22:720 - or change the introduction stream 00:22:026 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - to be sliders to make this a better transition.
Then secondly, the section itself feels too intense to play. This part is arguably not the most intense part of the song, since the drum roll in the background is rather calm. What I'd have expected is either a lot of short sliders instead of streams so the tapping follows mostly the other layers of the song besides the drum roll (similar to how you did it in Insane), or streams with significantly smaller spacing.
Another bummer are the huge jumps between sliders and the transitions to the streams that follow. 00:27:402 (1,2,3) - 00:30:870 (1,2,3) - 00:32:258 (1,2,3) - etc, the distances of these are comparable to 1/2-jumps in the chorus for example, but these slider jumps have even less leniency so they feel more difficult. Transitions from slider jumps to streams are very difficult to land well with large distance because it requires very precise landing and adjustment of movement speed within a short timeframe. The worst offenders here would be 00:27:576 (2,3) - 00:31:044 (2,3) - 00:31:737 (2,3) - and 00:33:125 (2,3) -.

I want the usage of sliders to be consistent in this part. Because I wanted to match 00:22:026 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - with 01:45:263 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - i used the same idea of having a stream with a similar angle. During the initial death stream, it only really seems appropriate with either all circles or all sliders to me. Hence for why I decided to use all circles since this is the top difficulty and I believe this rhythmically fits. As for the spacing being too much, I find that to be silly because i wanted to highlight a build up onto 00:27:576 (2,3) - . 00:26:882 (2,3) - grows from 00:26:188 (2,3) - etc.

As for the second section, I felt that 00:31:044 (2,3) - was the most intense and began lowering spacing afterwards. The only thing that could be changed is nerfing 00:33:125 (2,3) - further, but this is pretty arbitrary.

Also you said that you felt this section as a whole was too intense, I would just read shiirns reply I guess since he already said the main points.

00:09:540 (2,1) - I'd like to see a larger spacing between these two as (1) is the start of a new vocal phrase here, which you also marked with the NC usage. You usually seperated these phrases (not just vocals) with larger spacing like 00:01:217 (3,1) - 00:08:500 (6,1) - 00:10:928 (3,1) - so it would feel appropriate to do the same here. this is something I would change. Typically I like my slower parts to enforce more difficult reading since otherwise they're very easy for the difficulty, but I suppose this is out of place somewhat considering the other instances of this type of spacing were removed by mods.

00:16:997 - Feels odd to ignore this beat, as you didn't miss out on the strong vocal beats before. It's essentially the same emphasis as 00:15:610 - just with a slightly different pitch, so it would help to add a circle here. I think 00:17:171 (1,2) - being empty works well as an anticlimax though. i think this is fine. this is rly minor and it would be awkward if i ignored the other notes since the vocalist isnt perfectly on time.

01:40:408 (1,2,3) - I would have loved to see these having the same slidershape (you could make a nice rotated pattern out of that) because the emphasis and pitch on the vocals are the same for each. The singer puts a huge emphasis on those being the exact same sounds so it would be great if the map could reflect that. https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/8205292 that doesnt fit my aesthetic style.

Pentori wrote:

few things worth mentioning about the kiai in the highest diff, on top of desp's concerns

01:25:668 (3,4,5) - the spacing variation is too drastic for what the music provides, u should be looking to space 01:25:841 (4) - more this has been discussed many times already by modders. It's something I want to keep because I want the emphasis to be the double drum on the note after. I think this is fine and my creative decision.
01:33:471 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - stream seems totally uncalled for, you drown out the effect of specific triplets such as 01:33:645 (3,4,5) - as well as overmap most of the blue ticks. i feel this could be done a lot better with 1/2s I think this is fine within the context of this difficulty. The link you provided does have rhythm support. The only thing I would do would be change it to match the stream of the insane, but as I said the context here fits the difficulty i believe.
01:35:379 (2) - doesn't seem to get clicked to anything, and has a strong snare on the end ok? I dont see why this needs to be mapped with a circle. Considering that the 1/1 slider is basically forced by the rhythm and the vocal comes 1/2 after the slider, the rhythm would then be 4 circles which would rather than highlighting vocals be a mess of random beats.

01:38:674 (5,6,7) - i dont think the white tick triplet is necessary. u have a strong beat on 01:38:674 (5) - and nothing supporting the blue tick 01:38:760 (6)i mean its an overmapped triplet at the climax of the song. I believe it fits with what I've made so far.

01:39:714 (4,5,6,7,8) - this is 1/3 ok I could change this. Personally I like it the way it is but since it does have incorrect spacing it could be changed.
01:42:836 (5) - and this is 1/2 im following the violin which gets quieter but is still there and on a 1/3 snapping.
both 01:39:714 - and 01:42:489 - follow the same beat structure in the music again, this could be changed since the rhythm isn't technically supported.

additionally, with the section at 00:22:026 - u normally represented the piano with a respective kick slider 00:26:015 (1,2) - 00:27:402 (1,2) - yet u seem to stop doing this in certain places 00:28:789 (1,2,3) - 00:29:483 (1,2,3) - 00:30:177 (1,2,3) - only to return to the same concept later on 00:30:870 (1,2) . perhaps look to employ this concept more consistently or perhaps I decided to offer a little bit of variety on the down beat change only to reexplore the concept back when I believed it to become most intense. 00:30:870 (1) -
[]
some of the statements also are applicable for the insane, such as the snapping and stream choice.

hope u consider some of this
Just if any QAT didn't already get my opinion: I don't think these issues are worthy of a DQ since they're only two minor changes that I would make. I believe the map is quality as is, and the two changes that I would change are arbitrary and will not increase the quality of my map.
Shiirn
Streams of this BPM are not as intense or emphatic as you may think they are, Desperate. There are many, many maps out there based on long, low-170bpm streams that are not considered difficult or overly crazy at all, especially with as many sliders scattered throughout as this map has.

I agree that the 8-note shorter snap stream as an introduction is a mistake, but more due to the fact that it doesn't separate the rhythm of the section from the actual cascade of chimes that the first 8 notes are theoretically following.

This song has the fairly interesting aspect of having the most musically intense portion of the track not actually in the chorus, and as such it will naturally come out differently than people might be used to.

Personally, the main issue with the stream is purely that there are multiple chimes that are not 1/4 sliders which feels inconsistent, but makes sense rhythmically so whatever, fuck it.
Kaifin
insane

01:05:725 (4) - not snapped

i mean there is also the fact that there is a 16 note stream overtop of plain 1/2 rhythm at 01:33:471 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - in the top diff which i think should be enough for dq on it's own but to each their own
Topic Starter
I Must Decrease
oo how did that get past. requesting DQ.
Cryptic
DQ'd upon request by mapset owner.
Topic Starter
I Must Decrease
I've gone over the issues that people had with the extra. If you have any more comments pentori / desperate, feel free to say them. I did end up changing the stream in the chorus to a more suitable pattern that fits the music.
Myxo

Shiirn wrote:

This song has the fairly interesting aspect of having the most musically intense portion of the track not actually in the chorus, and as such it will naturally come out differently than people might be used to.
This point is what I disagree with, hence why I pointed it out. To me, the stream section doesn't feel nearly as intense in the song than the chorus does. But I'll accept this anyway.

The one thing I still think is bad is the transition with the small spaced stream. If you want it to be consistent with 1:45 you could change both of them to be sliders, but as it is right now, the transition is already a huge increase in tapping from the previous section, which then just continues on throughout more than a measure. Just because it's a high difficulty level doesn't mean that you don't need to introduce players to concepts properly and switching from a calm section to a longstream is certainly a change that needs a proper introduction.
Topic Starter
I Must Decrease
talked to pentori as well. Should be all good for rebubble now :^)
Karen
so we are good now
rebubbled
Lasse
the legs are still tilting me
Topic Starter
I Must Decrease
dq to reset rating pls xd

edit: DQ to make change to make stream more intuitive (fucking mao)
Mao
done on request
Lasse
done on request
DeletedUser_3638005
done on request
puxtu
done on request
Djulus
done on request
Karen
done on request
pw384
done on request
Lasse
done on request
Battle
your previous heart was as broken as the girl's leg tbh
KaedekaShizuru
How did this boring map got ranked with a wrong BPM ????