forum

[Experimental] Death Note: The Forum Game (GAME OVER)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
vytalibus
Hello, osu! community. I return to test out a forum game I have been working on for exactly one night. As the title implies, this is heavily-based on the franchise "Death Note"; cue fangirls squeals. I figured, why the hell not make a variation of the ever-popular Mafia game and put it under the Death Note universe; cue fanboys squeals.

So here I am.

As of now, I am posting this thread to see if anyone is interested in trying out my variation, and would like to register for the first test game. Depending on the number of registrants, we will play using either of these types: The Killer Is Among Us for a small group, and Cleanse the World for a large group. I will explain the mechanics of both types in the next post.

For now, feel free to register and/or comment about the mechanics I have laid (if they have been posted as of yet).

List of Registrants (confirmed registrants for this round in bold):
  1. Ph0x
  2. animask
  3. LadySuburu
  4. Azure_Kyte
  5. DeathxShinigami
  6. Lilac
  7. Kokizi (CtW Only?)
  8. Ahegaokin Haseo
Players for this round, and their status:
  1. Ph0x (investigated)
  2. animask
  3. LadySuburu (DEAD)
  4. Azure_Kyte (WINNER)
  5. DeathxShinigami (DEAD)
  6. Lilac
  7. Haseo
Topic Starter
vytalibus
The Killer Is Among Us:

Group is split into two teams: Killer and Detectives (with a Chief Detective)
The Killer wins if they kill the Chief Detective.
The Detectives win if they successfully investigate the Killer. They lose if their Chief Detective gets killed.

Killer's inclusive ability: kill one player off during the day
Chief Detective's inclusive ability: decide whether to go on with the investigation or not.

"The Killer Is Among Us" is a type more suited for a small group due to the direct control of one player over a possible game-ender, which is too complicated for a large group to utilize to its potential. To my knowledge, both teams have a fair chance of winning: the Killer can influence the investigation suggestions to his advantage by knowing the Chief Detective's identity early on, and the Detectives can take out the Killer among them if they work together and cooperate (especially since the Chief Detective has the ability to continue with an investigation, which can be used to save himself or isolate a Killer out).

PROCEDURES
Each day, all the players can decide to suggest a player up for investigation. To have a successful investigation suggestion, the votes against the player must total to half the remaining players (rounded down) plus one. The Chief Detective then will advise the GM if they want to go with the investigation or not. If the Chief Detective agrees, the player is put up for investigation. If the player being investigated is not a Killer, the Detectives lose the ability to investigate for the next day.
At any time during the day, the Killer chooses one player to be killed off.
The next day, the GM announces if whether the Killer has been successfully investigated (Detectives win) or if the Chief Detective has been killed (Killer's win).

---------------------------------------------

Cleanse the World:

Group is split into two teams: Killers and Others
A Killer wins by killing the other killers and being the only killer alive at a given day.
An Other wins by staying alive and either being affiliated to the winning Killer or being neutral at the end of the game..

Killer's inclusive ability: kill off one player per night

This is more akin to a Mafia game, only it is more focused on one individual trying to outsmart another individual with the same ability. This is more suited for large groups because the Others, who simply need to stay alive to win, can try to side with a suspected Killer with the hopes of practically gaining an immunity to death. At first, people might see this as more of a battle between Killers, but with majority rules influencing the daytime deaths and the possibility of Others defecting, this can turn into a psychological battle for survival.

PROCEDURES
Each day, all the players can decide to kill a player off. To have a successful daytime kill, the votes against the person must total to be the highest by the end of the day.
At night, the Killers can each choose one player to be killed off. However, if more than one Killers choose one player, that player is saved by the Death Note rules, and lives.
At any time of that particular day (including night), players can message the GM on their affiliation with another player. The GM takes note of this, and considers it for endgame purposes.
For every death, the GM mentions the role of the victim and the number of remaining Killers.

OPTIONAL ROLES (only for the Others; also subject to edits, cut-offs and additions):
Everyone's Friend - secretly reminded of which killer killed the guy (limited to number calls i.e. Killer #1, Killer #2).
Scout - knows which roles there are in the game, and how many players there are in each role.
Backface - secretly retrieves the Death Note of a previously-killed Killer. They are basically a Killer in the middle of the game, and must follow the Killer's conditions to win. ONLY APPLICABLE IF THE GAME WOULD END TOO EARLY.
Detective - can set up a surveillance of a player each night. If their target is a Killer, and that Killer attempts to kill a player off that night, then they are exposed to the Detective.

NOTES OF EXTREME IMPORTANCE:
  1. If you are a dead player or a spectator, you are refrained from influencing the game's pace in any way. Otherwise, comments are acceptable.
  2. As this game is at the experimental stage, any questions and/or comments about the mechanics of the game are very much appreciated.
Ph0X
... Only if I get to be Kira.
Sleep Powder
Detectives with guns, please~
LadySuburu
If the chief says no, what exactally happens? Does the mod inform the town and they decide on another player instead?

That's all the questions I can come up with for now.

Also Hai Vyt.
Azure_Kite
HI VYT

Sign me up.
Topic Starter
vytalibus

LadySuburu wrote:

If the chief says no, what exactally happens? Does the mod inform the town and they decide on another player instead?

That's all the questions I can come up with for now.

Also Hai Vyt.
Exactly that. The GM informs the players that an investigation will not take place. Unfortunately, this wastes an investigation for that day.

This can work both ways that I won't tell you how.

animask wrote:

Detectives with guns, please~
Guns are for brutes, young man. We kill with words!

-------------------------------------------

Four players already registered. For the first variant to take place, we will need at least two more players to proceed. However, I shall wait for two whole days after the last necessary player has registered, and see if there are enough people for the second variant.
DeathxShinigami
Yeah, joining...

Just don't randomly fade away on us now vyt... |:
LadySuburu
I didn't technically register, but since I'm signed up now I might as well stay in. :D
Topic Starter
vytalibus
Just some minor changes:
The Killer is Among Us
  1. The Killer can choose to kill their player for the day anytime. This can be during suggestion time, while the Chief Detective is choosing or not, after investigation etc. (Also works both ways; eliminating a non-Chief Detective early on gives fewer suspects, thereby increasing the possibility of the Killer getting caught early on)
  2. If the person investigated for that day is NOT a Killer, the Detectives lose the ability to investigate for the next day. (This is to give a reason for the Chief Detective to not go on with an investigation)
Cleanse the World
  1. Affiliations with other players must be secretly messaged to the GM. This goes for all players.
  2. An Other must win by staying alive when the game ends, and not being affiliated with a losing Killer as well (this means an Other affiliated with the winning Killer and a neutral Other both wins; being affiliated with a non-Killer counts as neutral).
Sleep Powder

LadySuburu wrote:

I didn't technically register, but since I'm signed up now I might as well stay in. :D
Lilac
Sure, why not?
Topic Starter
vytalibus
We have enough players for the first variant. I will continue to advertise the registration process for two days before closing and starting our game.

All the registrants will be notified once the registration closes.
Kokizi
/join

for "cleanse the world" setup, that is.
Haseo_old
/join Cleanse the World
Topic Starter
vytalibus
Kokizi and Ahegaokin: The number of registrants is not huge enough for "Cleanse the World" to start. I concur we need at least 9 players to start.

Six of the registrants have already confirmed their registrations. However, I will give a bit of leeway for everyone else: registration will be open for 24 hours after this post; afterwards, it will be closed, and the number of registrants by that time will be taken to see which variant we will be playing.
Haseo_old
It seems that The Killer is Among Us will be the game style we'll be playing, so I got some questions:

You said that there are 2 groups: The Killer and The Detectives.
Does that mean theres only ONE killer?
How will Killers kill without the Detectives( other Killers for CTW) knowing?
You said 6 players: so that means it's a 5 against 1 match for TKIAU right?

Please correct me if I missed something. Thank you in advance.
Topic Starter
vytalibus

Ahegaokin wrote:

It seems that The Killer is Among Us will be the game style we'll be playing, so I got some questions:

You said that there are 2 groups: The Killer and The Detectives.
Does that mean theres only ONE killer?
How will Killers kill without the Detectives( other Killers for CTW) knowing?
You said 6 players: so that means it's a 5 against 1 match for TKIAU right?

Please correct me if I missed something. Thank you in advance.
Most of the time, the variant will have only one Killer, unless specifically mentioned by the GM.

Killers can only kill once per day. While the variants have different processes for the kills, there is no other way that the kill will not be announced. If you have played a mafia game before however, you will remember that the Killer's name will not be announced for every kill they commit.

Considering six players, there would be 5 Detectives versus 1 Killer.
Topic Starter
vytalibus
REGISTRATION FOR THIS ROUND'S GAME HAS BEEN CLOSED.

We have a total of 7 confirmed players for this round. Hence, we are playing "The Killer Is Among Us" variant.

All confirmed players, please remain on standby while I randomly distribute the roles.

-------------------------------------------

"... Sir, there has been a breach on our database controls. Someone's accessing all of our files!"

"They've already gone through. Cut their transmission off quickly."

"But what about the data-"

"I'd be damned if they get all of our information. We can worry about what was stolen later. We have to limit the damage."

"Locating outsider's IP address... Located!"
"IP address blocked, sir!"
"Sir, we have located the information that was accessed by the outsider. Apparently they've retreived the information of six detectives, including the one leading them, sir. Their target seems to be specific and clear."

"... Killer."
Topic Starter
vytalibus
Day 1.

An abandoned industrial building on the unknown outskirts was chosen as the venue for seven individuals, as they were blindfolded and led to the center of the machinery room. The only signs leading the blind group to the spot were the sounds of gunshots threatening them to keep walking forward and straight. As the giant steel doors were shut, the seven removed the darkness from their eyes to see the dim and ominous atmosphere around them.

Speakers were situated around the vicinity, with cameras watching everyone's movements. Other than those, the place looked like it had been untouched for decades.

A few minutes later, a voice of a young man greeted the seven through the speakers.

"Welcome. You have been invited by one fellow among you. I am pretty sure you are well-accustomed to their works. They have only killed thousands of people and managed to secure information on the identity of each and every one of you. However, they have a twisted way of playing with their prey, as they specifically left a message on our database after they hacked through our system.

"They want you to squirm defenselessly as they pick you off one by one.

"We have no choice but to give in to their demands. We have no idea how much information they have retrieved. However, even with this, you have your chance of identifying the killer before they go for our blood. Successfully investigate the Killer, and we will do our very best to bring them down quickly. Be wary however; the Killer does not like inefficient investigations, and threatens to kill everyone if investigations were done in consecutive days.

"Chief Detective, you are among the group. I am entrusting you with the final decision on each and every investigation. Use it well.

"... Good luck."

(Day 1 will end 72 hours after this post.)
Ph0X
tl;dr we don't confirm before the game starts.
Sleep Powder
@MOD

Does the Chief Detective get replaced if killed...?

Are the detectives supposed to try and save the Chief Detective and find the Killer?

----------

The Killer can kill any time during the day? That sounds scary and unexpec---- *shot*
Sleep Powder
Nvm, I found the rules...
Ph0X
Great; thanks for ruining the game, animask.
Lilac
FoS: animask.
LadySuburu
Cool, we've started and already got stuff going on. Much quicker than mafia.
DeathxShinigami
Wait a sec...animask?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH~

Not this again! :|
Ph0X
DxS and animask are mafia buddies.
Lilac
There's only one killer though...

...Oh you. :P
Sleep Powder
Roleclaim: Killer

Hammer time~
Sleep Powder
um...

Inspection time~
Lilac

Ph0X wrote:

Great; thanks for ruining the game, animask.
show more