forum

Let's talk Easy mod

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +946
show more
Shiirn

Gomo Psivarh wrote:

Lybydose wrote:

hardrock is *1.4
caps at 10
Is OD*1.4 too with hardrock?
Everything except circle size *1.4, i believe.
A_Good_Man
yap
totally agreed
Makar

OzzyOzrock wrote:

EasyMod should let you choose the diff settings. That's it.
Thisthisthisthis!
Suimya
and i support this but not to make us lose acc that will be suck D:
Ekoro
Well support , Easy mode is hard to read yeah (even if i can read sometimes xD) , and sometimes it's impossible on overlaps for examples.

Makar8000 wrote:

OzzyOzrock wrote:

EasyMod should let you choose the diff settings. That's it.
Thisthisthisthis!
bomber34
Yeah in Osu Standards it is harder than all diff mods together sometimes
BUT
It really helps in CtB :D
(I play all three Play mods)

So I would disagree with removing it ...
but in Osu! Standards :?
Idk maybe making it a Double mod so it is still in the easy category and in the hard category but without 3 Life Bars and Increasing Points ...
We can call it Giant mod :P (nah just kidding)

Yeah and I bump this thread :P
Espionage724
I find Easy mode to be a challenge as well. Half-time is better imo.

I think Easy mode should just lower HP drain. That alone might be pretty helpful :p
Winshley

Lybydose wrote:

4) Something else?!
Rename "EasyMode" to "EasierMode". The new name shouldn't be misleading since it's just certain part that is made easy, right? :P

I still agree that the approach rate is the main complaint here though.
palion
agreed, "easy" is not easy at all
My1_old
@ the 3 live system I think that we rewind maybe 10 seconds and tart playing from there (unrated until the next life actually starts) so you have a "flowing" start if you know what I mean...
theowest
Necropost.

osz2 is around the corner and a fix for this Easy Mod would be good.

this is what I think

I really want people to consider the current Easy mod not perfect and that it could be so much better.
My1_old
what do you mean osz2 is around the corner?
did I miss anything???
theowest

My1 wrote:

did I miss anything???
I'm guessing it won't take too long before it's here. Can't be more than a year.
HakuNoKaemi
strange thing is that "Easy" make things harder.
Especially AR IS selected to make the map playable .... so yeah changing the divisor (option 2) seems a good idea
Mitsuneko
The Easy mod is annoying >_> Why does the circle size have to be so large? It makes it harder for me to see what the hell I'm doing.
So, I'll support this.
Aoko
Ok ok, support this ;)
XK2238

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

strange thing is that "Easy" make things harder.
Especially AR IS selected to make the map playable .... so yeah changing the divisor (option 2) seems a good idea
How about reducing the AR by only 1 or 2 points? (i.e. AR 10 -> 9 or 8)
theowest
I still think ARs is something people should be able to pick by their own.

OD, HP drain rate and Circle size, they makes stuff easier/harder.
benguin
I agree with having the easy mod being changed as well, considering it makes most maps unplayable.

What I'd like to see for the easy mod:
1) The user is able to select their own AR, rather it be lower or higher. Each person has an approach rate that they perform best on so it would be wise to let the easy mod allow the user to choose their own.
2) Allow the user to choose the circle size. The range of values would range from the default circle size to the circle size seen in the flawed default easy mod for the same map. The reason being is sometimes the size of the hitcircles just become way too obnoxious because of overlap. Setting the max selectable circle size to whatever is used by the current easy mod is for the purposes of previous scores obtained on the easy mod.
3) OD and HP drain rate should be multiplied by some constant
4) The 3 lives thing should be instantaneous as opposed to a sudden stop and restart.
D33d

theowest wrote:

My1 wrote:

did I miss anything???
I'm guessing it won't take too long before it's here. Can't be more than a year.
ETA is as vague as it ever was. It'll still take a long time, so don't hold your breath.

I already told you what I thought about this and LuigiHann conveyed my thoughts pretty effectively. The mod should be aimed at new players of easy maps and that should be it. All of this discussion of customisable parameters suggests that they should be separate options.

Harder maps are designed with a specific approach rate and circle size in mind, so any changes to these would probably break the maps, be it visually or in playability. Besides, how do you think a new player would react if choosing the Easy mod spat a load of options at them? They would shit themselves. It would be much more productive for them to look in the editor or use Half Time. There is no need to overcomplicate this.

In short, Easy wouldn't benefit from any serious overhauls. At most, a slight reduction of all parameters automatically would be the best choice, but that should be it. Keep the knob twiddling away from something that's supposed to make things simple for newbies.
bwross

D33d wrote:

They would shit themselves.
That's a pretty apt description of my response to trying Easy on my first day. I would have loved to see controls... that would have (a) helped and (b) not required trying to figure out the editor on my first day in order to tweak things (I had a good idea what I wanted... Easy just gave way too much of everything). I pretty much warn newbies to avoid Easy, as it's pretty much worthless for newbies... every reasonable use of it I've seen has been by experienced players.
My1_old
but as we all know everyone complains about easy in osu!standard but in CtB(Iant control dashing) or taiko(where I really suck) it makes some Hard to play maps really playable sometimes I even get A or S in an insane Map...
Makar
Support~ Would be nice if things were user-definable
Devochka_old

Lybydose wrote:

2) Rework Easy mod to actually make things easier. How about letting the player choose their approach rate when Easy is enabled? How about dividing all the difficulty settings by 1.4 instead of 2.0 so it isn't such a massive change, or maybe just subtracting a static number? Reworking the "3 life system" so that the song backs up a couple sections so the player can get back "into the beat" when they resume?
3) Make the current Easy mode a difficulty increasing mod with a score multiplier (lol). It would certainly be harder than Hard Rock, Hidden, and even Flashlight on a lot of maps.
I like these ideas so much! User definable AR with easy mod would make sense, though maybe it should be added as "New Easy mod" to maintain the old scores, and maybe increase the bonus depending on how hard the map is. (like when there are a lot of patterns increase bonus, when there are a few, decrease(not sure if possible))
Suimya

Makar wrote:

Support~ Would be nice if things were user-definable
My1_old
oh yes
theowest
I'd rather see the Easy mod get user definable AR than if nothing would happen.
MillhioreF
The huge hitcircles and the incredibly low OD already make easy mod worth playing... take away the AR that makes it hard to read and it's totally imbalanced...
Aqo

MillhioreF wrote:

The huge hitcircles and the incredibly low OD already make easy mod worth playing... take away the AR that makes it hard to read and it's totally imbalanced...
The reason you say it's "imbalanced" is because of osu's quadratic score system which allows you to beat Cookiezi's nomod score with EasyMod on maps like Shotgun Symphony+. The real flaw here isn't in EasyMod, it's in the score system. If the standard score system was more similar to taiko you wouldn't be able to beat nomod scores on long maps with difficulty-reducted-by-mods FC plays (this would also solve stuff like HTs on Freedom Dive, etc).

I'd love to suggest to already fix the score system in osu but this will most likely never happen. :\
Makar

Devochka wrote:

Lybydose wrote:

2) Rework Easy mod to actually make things easier. How about letting the player choose their approach rate when Easy is enabled? How about dividing all the difficulty settings by 1.4 instead of 2.0 so it isn't such a massive change, or maybe just subtracting a static number? Reworking the "3 life system" so that the song backs up a couple sections so the player can get back "into the beat" when they resume?
3) Make the current Easy mode a difficulty increasing mod with a score multiplier (lol). It would certainly be harder than Hard Rock, Hidden, and even Flashlight on a lot of maps.
I like these ideas so much! User definable AR with easy mod would make sense, though maybe it should be added as "New Easy mod" to maintain the old scores, and maybe increase the bonus depending on how hard the map is. (like when there are a lot of patterns increase bonus, when there are a few, decrease(not sure if possible))
I actually really love this
BeatofIke
To be honest, I was thinking something like "soft rock" mod or something XD.
theowest

BeatofIke wrote:

To be honest, I was thinking something like "soft rock" mod or something XD.
that was what I once thought. A mirrored hard rock. It was like hard rock but it made things easier instead of harder. However, nobody liked the idea.
Saten
User definable and 50% score reduction sounds good to me.
MillhioreF
I once supported this, but... I think this just opens up a whole new venue of beating scores (everyone's gonna make huge circles, OD0 and unchanged AR) and get FC on crazy maps like airman and big black without too much problem D:
Ginky
I suggest to disable easy mod on only maps with already large hit circles. It does make the map easier by enlarging the circles, when the map originally have tiny circles.
Saten

MillhioreF wrote:

I once supported this, but... I think this just opens up a whole new venue of beating scores (everyone's gonna make huge circles, OD0 and unchanged AR) and get FC on crazy maps like airman and big black without too much problem D:
Maybe a penalty of 90% would be better?
MillhioreF

Saten wrote:

Maybe a penalty of 90% would be better?
Nah, it's not THAT bad... either make it scale to how much you change the settings or give it a static 0.40x rate or something.

Actually, I'm in favor of making this a new mod, the "main" Easy mod, while the old one gets renamed but stays the same (as an alt mod to Easy, like Perfect/Nightcore)
Soner Wolf
You need to consider other play modes using the easy mod. I completely agree that it makes most songs harder for osu!standard, but for CTB, Taiko, and osu!mania, It really does make most of the maps easier. therefore I don't agree with getting rid of the easy mod completely, or giving it a multiplyer. The only solution is some sort of your 2nd feature request in my opinion.

Semi-support?

All my love ~<3
ann_old
Removing the current easy mod would just be crazy, a second modifiable one sounds good to me.
DaddyCoolVipper

MillhioreF wrote:

Nah, it's not THAT bad... either make it scale to how much you change the settings or give it a static 0.40x rate or something.

Actually, I'm in favor of making this a new mod, the "main" Easy mod, while the old one gets renamed but stays the same (as an alt mod to Easy, like Perfect/Nightcore)
This'd be fantastic.
show more