forum

Let's talk Easy mod

posted
Total Posts
159
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +925
show more
Stitchie
WHEN is this finally going to get changed?
Kushy
Make "EZ Mod" give a score bonus.

And make a totally seperate mod like "BEGINNER Mod" which makes circle size that little bit bigger and allows the player to pick their ar.
(Begginer mod should have like a score deduction like the EZ Mod has currently)
Jesper
I would say make EZ mod actually easy and make another mod doing what EZ does now, for people like -GN that can pass blue zenith +EZ
LastExceed

Lybydose wrote:

This is perhaps the most misleading mod in this game. It claims to make maps easier and lumps a huge score penalty on the player for using it, and yet it does precisely the opposite: makes a great number of maps absolutely Insane.

There are a number of reasons for this:

1) The approach rate. This is the biggest reason. Most players, even new players, find faster approach rate easier than slower approach rate (to a certain point around 6-7 or so). Cutting the approach rate in half on harder maps is a HUGE change. Most Hard/Insane maps become completely unreadable because there are SO MANY circles on the screen at once.
I actually prefer it this way. It does indeed take a while to get used to it, but I now reached a point where the slow AR improves my reading. I can't even read TBB without EZ so no way I could play it NM

2) Increased circle size. This usually makes it easier, but in a lot of situations it causes really confusing overlapping. Coupled with (1), the map is even more difficult to read.
Again, just something you need to get used to. It's also dependent on the skin you're using. With the default skin this isn't that much of an issue. Further more, if it bothers you that much, you can just skin the circles smaller to prevent them from overlapping, it won't affect their actual hitbox

3) Decreased overall difficulty. Yes, really. In osu!, you can't hit a note until the previous note either been hit or missed. By "missed", I mean that too much time has passed that you are no longer in the hit window to get a 50 on the note. A massive decrease in overall difficulty on harder maps makes the hit window for a note overlap with the "exact timing" of the next note in many cases. What this means is that if you misclick a note, yet hit the next one perfectly, you often miss it too because the previous note is still "active" and the note you clicked just "shakes", even though you hit it perfectly. You end up missing an entire chain of notes because of one misclick.
This is actually the main reason why I am playing with EZ. you're reight, but this problem only occurs in streams and during streams you will also experience it without EZ so don't blame it on the mod

4) 3 life system. This doesn't actually make it harder, but it isn't implemented very well. It's incredibly difficult to resume playing after starting on the next life. Why? There's a completely unrhythmic amount of time spent waiting for the life bar to fill up again; it's impossible to tell exactly when you're supposed to start playing again. I think there's a button to skip this, but I have no idea what it is. The only reason I think this is because sometimes it immediately starts playing again without a wait. I've tried just about every logical button to intentionally skip it, and I've never managed to trigger it. Usually if I "fail" a map with Easy the first time (which is common thanks to (1) (2) and (3), I just immediately fail another 2 times.
Again, you just need to get used to it. They might add a countdown or remove the randomizer from the revive time but thats it. Though you could indeed use the already halved HP rate as an argument to remove the extra lives.
5) Changes Insane maps far more than Easy maps. The Easy mod divides all the difficulty statistics by 2. This means that on an Insane (with AR/Drain/OD 8+), it makes a huge change. On easier maps (which it's probably intended for), it barely changes it at all. OD 1 ==> OD Half? Might as well not do anything at all.
the difference between OD1 and OD0 is bigger than between OD10 and OD9 so halving the values instead of subtracting them by an absolute value makes perfectly sense in my eyes


So why am I bothering to post this? The "Easy" mod is misleading to new players! It makes things more difficult!
I agree with this

Basically, my feature request is to do one or more of the following:

1) Remove Easy mod completely. HELL NO!
2) Rework Easy mod to actually make things easier. How about letting the player choose their approach rate when Easy is enabled? How about dividing all the difficulty settings by 1.4 instead of 2.0 so it isn't such a massive change, or maybe just subtracting a static number? Reworking the "3 life system" so that the song backs up a couple sections so the player can get back "into the beat" when they resume? hmm maybe
3) Make the current Easy mode a difficulty increasing mod with a score multiplier (lol). It would certainly be harder than Hard Rock, Hidden, and even Flashlight on a lot of maps. yeah, "lol".
4) Something else?! Maybe create a new EZ mod and use the current one as a second option just like fade-in in mania?

Ok sure, it would break existing replays on Easy mod. Thing is, there aren't many to begin with because it just isn't worth using to make a map harder, only to give less points. Most of the time people just use it to pass TAG4 maps with the extra life system.
Breaking the scores would be avoidable if the current mod stays in the game
WavePoint

Lybydose wrote:

So why am I bothering to post this? The "Easy" mod is misleading to new players! It makes things more difficult!

Basically, my feature request is to do one or more of the following:

1) Remove Easy mod completely.
2) Rework Easy mod to actually make things easier. How about letting the player choose their approach rate when Easy is enabled? How about dividing all the difficulty settings by 1.4 instead of 2.0 so it isn't such a massive change, or maybe just subtracting a static number? Reworking the "3 life system" so that the song backs up a couple sections so the player can get back "into the beat" when they resume?
3) Make the current Easy mode a difficulty increasing mod with a score multiplier (lol). It would certainly be harder than Hard Rock, Hidden, and even Flashlight on a lot of maps.
4) Something else?!
I think that 2 AND 3 are a great solution together. #2 should be reworked as explained. #3 should be renamed called "Annoy" or "Annoyance" or "ANNOYING(jk)", and should fall on the HR mod category. #3 will still be the same as today's easy, but the HP drain should be the same as "No Mod"(depending on the creator) or more unforgiving along with no extra life.
Swerro
Does osu! actually need a mod that makes the map actually easier? I believe it's quite impractical as opinions about what is easy and what is hard are extremely broad. (especially when talking about AR and CS)
There are multiple ideas in this thread about how EZ mod could be reworked, but they seem quite complex and have many diversed opinions on it.

I think osu! doesn't need a mod that makes it practically easier, as it's quite hard to make such a mod.
Also, when you'd change/rework the mod, what about all the plays that already exist?

should be renamed called "Annoy" or "Annoyance" or "ANNOYING(jk), and should fall on the HR mod category."
The one thing I would consider changing maybe is the name of the mod, as EZ is obviously very misleading. Annoyance is maybe somewhat unsuitable ;p.
I looked up synonyms for "hard to read" and found a few better suggestions.
"Enigmatic", "Perplex", "Abstract", "Cryptic", "Scrawled", other similar names.
WavePoint

Swerro wrote:

should be renamed called "Annoy" or "Annoyance" or "ANNOYING(jk), and should fall on the HR mod category."
The one thing I would consider changing maybe is the name of the mod, as EZ is obviously very misleading. Annoyance is maybe somewhat unsuitable ;p.
I looked up synonyms for "hard to read" and found a few better suggestions.
"Enigmatic", "Perplex", "Abstract", "Cryptic", "Scrawled", other similar names.
I have to agree with you...
Winter3244

Swerro wrote:

The one thing I would consider changing maybe is the name of the mod, as EZ is obviously very misleading. Annoyance is maybe somewhat unsuitable ;p.
I looked up synonyms for "hard to read" and found a few better suggestions.
"Enigmatic", "Perplex", "Abstract", "Cryptic", "Scrawled", other similar names.
Why? Easy in theory makes the game easier. It lowers the AR and CS and the HP drain, just because some users find it harder to read at higher levels doesn't mean it should be called something else.
7ambda
All you have to do is have it decrease the AR by 1 instead of halving it. It's literally that EZ to fix.
Swerro

Cawub wrote:

Why? Easy in theory makes the game easier. It lowers the AR and CS and the HP drain, just because some users find it harder to read at higher levels doesn't mean it should be called something else.
I agree. But we aren't talking about some users, we're talking about a huge amount of players. I can confidently say that 50%+ users in osu! find that EZ mod makes the beatmap harder. Maybe we should do a poll?
Anyhow, I myself don't mind the misleading naming, EZ has a funny ironic name. yes i change my view/opinions in things frequently

All you have to do is have it decrease the AR by 1 instead of halving it. It's literally that EZ to fix.
An AR drop from 9 to 8 would still make the map harder for many people.
I'm still convinced that there is no fix for EZ mod as opinions on AR diverse so much. And that osu! doesn't need a mod that makes it practically easier, as it would involve changable AR which is a somewhat weird thing for a mod.
Edgar_Figaro
I think EZ mod should allow the user to change CS, AR, & OD to whatever settings they want (still keep HP fixed so people don't just put everything to HP: 0) Also by doing it this way people could also use EZ as a practice mod to try and work on things they struggle at. Have a problem reading small CS but don't want maps being low difficulty or AR10 when Hr is added? Just put on a map with ez and practice your CS: 5 reading skills
iYiyo
EZ is not EZ and should definitely reward more on harder diffs.
mulraf
deleting ez or completely changing it to something it wasn't before: that's bad. there actually are +ez players out there. they've set amazing scores and made names for themselves. they partly belong to the most loyal osu playerbase and i think completely removing ez or the possibility to play ez as it was before it not a good idea.

making the difficulty selection optional: actually not that bad of a idea. maybe it should have some kind of borders. like you can only change a cs5 into cs3 or od9 into od6-7 at the most. i think it would be a bit to much otherwise. but generally i support this since the people who are known for their +ez skills can still have it adjusted like it used to be and scores won't have to be deleted.

changing the multiplier: i agree. i disagree to make it positive though. even though they might not benefit you, there are people getting benefits out of ez. especially the 3 lives, od and cs. but i would give it a multiplier of say 0.9x or something along those lines.
100BUNDA
Or maybe just add AR/CS/OD/HP sliders, then people could choose what they prefer playing, either low or high AR/CS/OD/HP, so they don't need to edit the map or play in a custom client... And obviously, make it unranked if anything is changed from the original beatmap. I think the best way to do this is creating an entire new mod and calling it "Custom", when selected, sliders would appear to allow changing the AR, CS, OD and HP of the beatmap.

About the Easy mod, the name "Easy" is very unappropriated, i think it only needs to be renamed to something else.
Tanomoshii Nekojou

Lybydose wrote:

1) Remove Easy mod completely.
Oooohh... I don't think so.. What should we do with the existing gameplays with EZ mod? This might lead to a complete format of every maps/diff that was played by a single player with EZ mod... Or a removal of a gameplay by every player who used EZ mod...

Any of the both possibilities I think will make a complete change with the global and country rankings...
Am I correct?

:3
FiddleBlue
Personally, I love ez mod lol, since it lowers od.
Learn how to read, nub. :^)
The only thing I hate is that you have to wait for the health bar to go up after you fail.

But yeah I agree with you ez mod isn't as what its name should be. When playing around 5* to 7* it can be quite messy with all the circles overlapping and simply look messy.

So here's a better (in my opinion) solution, that is probably already been said. Current ez mod is kept, as there are tons of scores already being made with the mod. Make a new mod with the things you said, like customized ar, and cs. That way, everyone will be happy.

If we're this, the ez mod should be totally renamed as it's really inappropriate.
Caput Mortuum
choose option 1 and do this instead t/141204
Kyrari
Really disagree with removing EZ as someone who has been playing that mod lately, there's a really niche thing about being able to play maps easier but making it a lot harder to read that I find really fun to play.

Would much rather rename EZ into something else and make t/141204 into EZ mod instead
Swerro

VanillaSandvich wrote:

Would much rather rename EZ into something else and make t/141204 into EZ mod instead
Yesss u know it <3

Allthough t/141204 should rather be called something as 'Custom' or alike
[ Scarlet Red ]
Personally I feel this is a great idea, but PLEASE do not remove EZ Mod completely (I love EZ mod). Typically it's hard to decide where EZ Mod is truly easy or hard just with algorithms. Simply adding a score MULTIPLIER is not the way to go. I had thought about this and I think if you create a small team of like 3 - 4 players to review certain maps and add them to an "EZ Mod" list of maps, those maps on that list would be the only maps that would give you a bonus. I know some people could potentially put very simple maps there... however it's just a thought. This is simply one of the best ways to go about it.

Or however make EZ mod actually a challenging mod on ALL maps. Then give it a multiplier. Altho idk how that would work either. But EZ mod for life!
Please sign in to reply.

New reply