forum

osu! (OS X) beta release

posted
Total Posts
show more
The Kindly One
Just moved too mac and installed Osu.

There is DEFINITELY a slight audio delay throughout the whole game (BOTH music and the beats, so universal offset is of no use here)

At lower difficulties, it's probably fine, but at higher difficulties, Osu is completely impossible to play like this.

You can't play to the beat of the music. You HAVE TO hit the beats slightly earlier.
PizzaLovers007
Yeah there is input lag unfortunately. I've just been dealing with it, but hopefully the new wrapper will fix it.
AGRX
Message has been deleted.
Cannu

Agrrox wrote:

The Kindly One wrote:

Just moved too mac and installed Osu.

There is DEFINITELY a slight audio delay throughout the whole game (BOTH music and the beats, so universal offset is of no use here)

At lower difficulties, it's probably fine, but at higher difficulties, Osu is completely impossible to play like this.

You can't play to the beat of the music. You HAVE TO hit the beats slightly earlier.
Did you played on windows before ? because your overal accuracy is very low (90.2%) to judge delays.
Idk i am dealing with it kinda good but its really hard to play on my old macbook. What mac you have ?
I have a late 2013 iMac, but I find that the offset settings can vary on any given day (Somewhat sporadic imo), cause sometimes it'll be like -10 and then others it's +5, and I'm using the same headphones, so I'm really not sure. Hopefully we can have this OS X Beta Release back on track :D
AGRX
AGRX
Also i have better performance when i set Mac Driver.
To do it just go to osu! > Show Package Contents > Set Screen Options > Use Mac Driver instead of X11
Let me know if that helped.
gamer33_old
my game is mot working it says move to the trash help me :? :( please help :shock:
pinkLFox
The map rythm is slightly ahead of the music. Like the stuff ur supposed to click or whatever is earlier than the rythm :(
This is on every map.
The Kindly One

Agrrox wrote:

Also i have better performance when i set Mac Driver.
To do it just go to osu! > Show Package Contents > Set Screen Options > Use Mac Driver instead of X11
Let me know if that helped.
I've played on windows before, and i'm positive that there's an audio delay on mac.

I know I'm not that good, but on a Mac, I have to "predict" when the beats hit i.e. I have to press earlier. And universal offset doesn't help at all, since ALL the audio is delayed. Even the sounds you make in the menu have a slight delay.

I've only just gotten a new mac, first time ever using one. MBP 13 inch 2015, running latest version of Yosemite.

Could you just give me the fleshed out step by step on how to get it to use Mac Driver? Your set of instructions seems to be messing a few steps and i'm lost.
PizzaLovers007
First you need to find where your osu!.app file is and go there. Next you need to right click the osu!.app and click "Show Package Contents"

Once inside, run the Wineskin.app and look at "Set Screen Options". This is where the "Use Mac Driver instead of X11" checkbox is located.

There are a lot of other settings that you could try to mess with, but I don't believe there is a way that can completely remove the (input?) delay that you have. Personally I have around a 200 ms input delay from my keyboard when trying to hit notes so I just compensate by pressing earlier.
The Kindly One
yeah, i set it to use Mac Driver, but problem's still there.

I think it's more of a sound delay vs input delay, as even menu sounds seem to have a slight delay when i click on a button (compared with windows version).
RMP
Just a quick question, and I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but I couldn't find it;
Is there ever going to be a native Osu! version for OS X (or maybe even Linux)?

Microsoft is slowly falling apart and people are starting to move on to alternatives- most of them of course to a Mac.
The only thing that keeps me from destroying my Windows partition is Osu! ; it just doesn't run that well on both OS X/Linux.
That's not the fault of Osu! or its OpenGL implementation, it's the fault of Wine (especially Wine on OS X; the performance is much worse than Wine on Linux for some reason) and the way the OS handles key and mouse input (and because Osu! is running through Wine, Osu! is unable to take these different ways of input handling into account; besides, running through a layer (in this case Wine) always gives input lag to some degree ).

It'd be absolutely amazing of course if a natively written version for OS X/Linux would eventually arive, but I would understand it if that's way too much work :P (especially Linux with its package limbo).
So, to repeat my question, because I'm just rambling on about nothing at this point: Is there ever going to be a native Osu! version for OS X (or maybe even Linux)?
AGRX
RMP

Agrrox wrote:

Where did you get information that Microsoft falls apart ?

Peppy said that native osu for osx is on the way, but its not priority because there is not enough macintosh visitors on osu download page ( and that are only visitors who open the download page, not downloading or play game or even donating). see here: t/311147
Apple is selling more and more of their products every year, and Windows isn't. Heck, even Linux has grown (not much though). Microsoft is the only company losing market share.
Sources: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operatin ... imeframe=Y (market share in 2010)
and https://www.netmarketshare.com/operatin ... pcustomd=0 (market share in 2015)

(Yes, according to these sources, you might come to the conclusion that OS X actually has lost some of its market share. It hasn't. Why? Because in 2015, only OS X 10.10 is calculated, while a big part of the users still use 10.9 or even 10.8-10.7. If you were to include these releases as well, then OS X would roughly have a market share of 7-8%, which means its market share is growing)

Windows 8/8.1 still has one of the worst market shares (same sources) and my guess (based on trying out Windows 10 TP myself and based on different very inaccurate stats) is that there will be no difference with Windows 10. Microsofts market is stagnant, its best years are over.
To elaborate on my guess: People are losing confidence in Microsoft and from my experience Windows 10 is slower than Windows 8 and relies even more heavily on Metro Apps, which are also slower (though I know it's still a Technical Preview; Microsoft says it's almost finished- so I don't think much will change). Yes, Metro Apps are now actual windows instead of fullscreen apps, but their loading times are horrendous. And Microsoft is even trying to convert the Windows Explorer to a metro app; which would mean that the power users won't upgrade to Windows 10 (because it will lose functionality).

And yes, Windows 7 is still huge in market share and everyone uses it and is happy with it, but Microsoft will eventually pull the plug on Windows 7- just like they have done with Windows XP.

Now, I'm still using Windows myself (because of Osu! mainly) and I don't hate Windows. It works most of the time and I'm fairly happy with it. Just as a side note to make clear that I'm not *completely* biased against Microsoft :')
-------------------------------------------

Also, a reason why I think not many Macintosh users visit the download page, is because they KNOW that downloading Osu! for their Mac isn't an optimal idea because of the bad performance and input lag. They know that it's better to Bootcamp their PC.
-------------------------------------------

But thank you for your answer; it's cool to see that a native client will be coming. I'm patient and I rather see something done well than done quickly, so my hats off for peppy for even going through the hassle of converting Osu! to a native mac app.
AGRX
RMP

Agrrox wrote:

They don't know.
How do you know that?
You ignore 95% of my comment and then, without any sources to back it up, bluntly state that they don't know.
Not being hostile- I'm just really curious to know how you know that they don't know. (Knowception amirite, no? k)
AGRX
JujuDow

Agrrox wrote:

How could people who never played this game know that actual mac beta client for osu is simply just wineskin port ?
Also I red all your comments and partially agree with them.
I am a mac user. When i first found this game and if you have any experience with non native programs on mac, you know its not going to work well. So I went directly to bootcamp. I'm just saying the reason why there is a much smaller known user base of osu players with macs is because of just that, they already know.

Anyhow i tried the mac client and i had a lot of problems with input lag and extremely low average fps. I think there will be a massive increase of popularity if a native osu app for mac, but it will be extremely hard to convert the game and will require peppy to direct a lot more resources to the project.
marknii
Is there any way to transfer my boatman collection from my windows machine to my mac? I tried copying the songs folder from windows to the mac but osu didn't recognize the songs.
myoto

marknii wrote:

Is there any way to transfer my boatman collection from my windows machine to my mac? I tried copying the songs folder from windows to the mac but osu didn't recognize the songs.
i have the same problem
i am using macbook air with yosemite
PizzaLovers007
You might as well just copy over your entire osu! folder to avoid losing any data (collections, replays, etc.)
Fantasy Dreamer_old
How do you install this? I've tried it a couple of times but kept getting an error that the file is in read only. I tried changing the privilege by right click and then get info and then change it to read and write but it didn't do anything. I also tried changing it from terminal by typing: hdiutil convert (forgot the rest) but it kept on giving an error that the file doesn't exist in my directory. Any help please?
AGRX
The Kindly One
ok, it's confirmed that osu is just crap on mac.

installed windows on my mac.

osu plays perfectly on windows with no input lag or sound delay.

clearly a mac-related issue
PizzaLovers007

The Kindly One wrote:

ok, it's confirmed that osu is just crap on mac.

installed windows on my mac.

osu plays perfectly on windows with no input lag or sound delay.

clearly a mac-related issue
It's hard to expect too much with the mac version currently since it's only a port through wine. There will be a native mac version coming out relatively soon since peppy is making good progress on it. Obviously it works perfectly through windows because that's the platform osu is made for.
miggytheoo
Currently great so far. :)

edit: I noticed that you can use skins like the windows version, but the Mac version replaces the default skin.
AGRX
Razorbackmk
why can't install in MAC ,before can play it ,new update un-work in mac
[IONA I-401]
How to change speed Osu!mania On Mac?, im playing with MacBook Air,the BM is So Fast,
hersa37

[IONA I-401] wrote:

How to change speed Osu!mania On Mac?, im playing with MacBook Air,the BM is So Fast,
Just like on windows, with the [F3] or [F4], though you need to press [fn] too since the F keys are made as secondaries
AGRX
Novixion

Agrrox wrote:

Also new wineskin engine has been released (WS9Wine1.7.47)
How is the new wineskin engine? I haven't really like any of the ones after WS9Wine1.7.24D3DBoost cause they always minimize osu! when I'm alt-tabbed out. (using Full-screen)
AGRX
m3j1k7n0
i have a problem that crashes my computer when i click on download a song from a multiplayer game, plz help ?!
monkaGreg
When I tried to update osu I get a notification saying that i have to update my .NET Framework but I can't do that.
http://puu.sh/jjKZ5/1909a753ea.png
AGRX
yuzuhamu_

m3j1k7n0 wrote:

i have a problem that crashes my computer when i click on download a song from a multiplayer game, plz help ?!
same problem here...
Chizlingkz
Hi peppy. Is there a download of osu! OS X that the main menu looks like this?[img]http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/18/184163/2547532-osumainmenu.png[img]
AGRX
monkaGreg
Was anyone able to figure out the .NET Framework issue on update?
show more