osu! (OS X) beta release

posted
Total Posts
show more
AGRX
Message has been deleted.
KitakuKomori
It worked for me earlier today but it just doesn't open anymore >.<
I just want to play this game normally...
mockingod
If you installed Razer Synapse within the time frame you played it earlier today and the time you posted, then delete Razer Synapse. If it's having to do with the bug that other people are experiencing right now, then I can't help you there, because I haven't played Osu on my mac in a while.
xKiYoMiNaTiONx
Hello,

I was trying to do the wineskin update thing...but now the wineskin app in the osu app is damaged =(... I've been having weird problems... my Osu! doesn't want to load correctly on my mac. Sometimes I have to click the app twice to get it to load...and then, it has to keep re-updating itself each time I load it. It's really weird. =/
edrian098765
i cant play osu in my mac when i searched it, my mac specs is good but when i play it my cursor gets crazy and i cant control it and i cant play but i looked at my fps and its over 120 fps please fix this
manjumochi

edrian098765 wrote:

i cant play osu in my mac when i searched it, my mac specs is good but when i play it my cursor gets crazy and i cant control it and i cant play but i looked at my fps and its over 120 fps please fix this
Try to use raw input on osu! options.
Also try disabling mouse acceleration:

On terminal.app write
defaults write NSGlobalDomain com.apple.mouse.scaling -1.0
Log out (or reboot).
Play.

I do not recommend using magic mouse to play osu!, btw.
AGRX
Kurogamii

Agrrox wrote:

apple wireless mouse sucks ! get real gaming wired mouse
Apple Wireless Mouse didn't mean for playing games.
garricklee

Agrrox wrote:

Advanced Wineskin Tutorial
Because the downloadble osu wrapper is outdated, and wineskin came with so many bugfixes and performance upgrades

I recommend to do these steps ...

1. Install Wineskin (Drag and Drop into your applications folder) from this webiste: http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-i ... =Downloads
2. Run Wineskin.app
3. Download Latest Engine
4. Update to latest Wrapper Version

5. Now Right click your wineskin application ( in this case osu!.app)
6. Inside osu!.app run Wineskin.app
7. Run Advanced> Tools> Change Engine Used ( use the latest Engine you actually downloaded)
8. Run Advanced> Tools> Update Wrapper and do this TWICE, i REPEAT DO IT TWICE because i have experience that some applications have issue when u do this only once
9.Run and enjoy osu!

10. aditional after long time playing you feel like your osu is freezing or approach circles are lagging you can open Terminal.app and run this command:
sudo purge

What it does it clean up your mac memory.

I think that wineskin is stalling or stealing much memory after long run.

Hope this will be helpful.

I'll plan to make wrapper running 4.0 NET (actually i have one)

This solved all the lagging problems I had!
Now osu on mac is almost as same as on Windows!
garricklee

garricklee wrote:

Agrrox wrote:

Because the downloadble osu wrapper is outdated, and wineskin came with so many bugfixes and performance upgrades

1. Install Wineskin (Drag and Drop into your applications folder) from this webiste: http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-i ... =Downloads
2. Run Wineskin.app

7. Run Advanced> Tools> Change Engine Used ( use the latest Engine you actually downloaded)
8. Run Advanced> Tools> Update Wrapper and do this TWICE, i REPEAT DO IT TWICE because i have experience that some applications have issue when u do this only once
9.Run and enjoy osu!

10. aditional after long time playing you feel like your osu is freezing or approach circles are lagging you can open Terminal.app and run this command:
sudo purge

This solved all the lagging problems I had!
Now osu on mac is almost as same as on Windows!
You might be able to stop calling this beta now. It's perfect.
You can add this to the first page. Anyone playing on mac might want this.
junj23
Hi! i downloaded osu! fro mac and if i click something in it , it triggers my mac to force restart. If forced restarted when i wanted to download a new beatmap and it force restarted when i tried to change avatar
Kipek

Agrrox wrote:

2. Run Wineskin.app

9.Run and enjoy osu!

sudo purge

I tried this out several times now but everytime my framerate drops about 50 % and I am actually getting much worse performance in terms of latency. Even when I downgrade to the original wine engine it won't go back to the F tePS I get usually. This is the part that concerns me the most. I can only get back into the original performance if I do a complete reinstall of Osu! removing it completely from my drive and redownloading it.

My current Osu! performance is OK but there is still a lot of room for improvement. I tried the D3D9 Anti Lag thing and didn't work either. I assume it's because it accesses windows driver in order to modify this option for rendering frames ahead. I already considered a boot camp installation of Windows 8 but I really would like to avoid that if possible since I don't want to spent 100$ on a license.
NubiiNeth
So I have a HUGE problem with the application.

Before I explain the problem I feel I should voice the problems leading to the 'HUGE' problem.
So I had noticed whenever you tried to go from the application to a website provided by it (IE: downloading a song or changing your profile) it would occasionally work. While this was a minor annoyance i would just try it again and would usually work. But 1 out of the maybe 10 times I had to do this, it instantly turned the screen completely black as if it shut off, but music was still playing, but now becoming completely unresponsive to any command aswell as turning it off via power button. So I removed power from it and just restarted it thinking it was just my computer freezing up. But the very next time it happened (week or two) I followed the same procedure as before and the computer would not turn on.

And now that's where I am at with this huge problem. I am unable to turn on my mac whatsoever, I hear the fans occasionally and it still gets hot, but I just won't turn on. Now my problem may not be directly related to the application, but it had never happened besides when running the application. I was hoping I could get help from someone experienced with macs or maybe the same problem. I wanna make sure I can't get help from others within this forum before I go spend 100-600$ trying to fix it.

Best Regards,
NubiiNeth
SK monkey

Agrrox wrote:

2. Run Wineskin.app

9.Run and enjoy osu!

sudo purge

i tried this and it seemed to let the application work but then when i click on it nothing happens
it doesnt even react
at all :?
AGRX
Topic Starter
peppy
Okay first, please suck on this lollipop while I answer your post. 🍭

Under my own testing on three different macs, I get equal performance to my PC, and can play osu! to the same level I can on windows (using wineskin). This does not mean I have stopped work towards a more native solution (by native I mean mono), but these things take time. Progress is being made, and in fact, the next big step is switching to .NET 4.0 targeting, which is ready at my end. I am simply waiting for enough users to upgrade their PCs to make this transition as seamless as possible.

I would love to know what kind of mac you are attempting to run osu! on, and whether you have fiddled with the settings. I can't imagine how your performance can be so shocking you would make the statements you are.

Notes:
* "sky-painting" took 30 minutes.
* i have spent many hours working towards .NET 4 targeting. no, you haven't noticed this because you don't read the changelogs, follow my dev streams, read my twitter or blog, etc.
* i haven't been able to actually make forward progress with osu1 coding because i've been too busy keeping the game running. yes, that takes time and effort and most of that is handled by me alone.

and yes, as you say, gaming on OS X will always be sub-par. the operating system itself doesn't lend to 3d gaming (it hardly handles 2d desktop rendering and multitasking, which is why i'm gradually moving away from it to run windows across all my PCs/notebooks).
manjumochi
I don't know about Agrrox, but I'm running in a old iMac late 2009 w/ Core2Duo 3.06GHz :lol:
Since I don't play (or own) on a winPC, I don't know how much performance I'm losing (also, there are issues w/ other hardware like mice/graphical tablets and keyboard). The only thing I miss is not to use advanced graphics settings because the machine is weak. :lol:
AGRX
djs
Gaming on OSX can be good. It depends on who make the games. For example, Blizzard games like Starcraft 2 run absolutely beautiful in my experience (ofcourse, they probably have entire divisions dedicated to porting games over to OSX.) I rarely drop under 60 fps in it.

With that said, I am really looking forward to the day there is a better OSX version of osu available. I pretty much only keep a bootcamp partition for osu :p
AGRX
Italo
Looking forward to .net 4.0 to improve performance

Running on macbook pro retina 2012 core i5 2.5GHz , 8gb ram, intel HD 4000, and The performance is not the best as on bootcamp. On bootcamp I can get up to 300˜350 fps, and in wine only 140 in max, hope that change to 4.0 will improve a lot my performance on mac.
AGRX
Topic Starter
peppy
140fps is already more than you can see.
Chossy
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... 69-osu.png
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... 1-osu2.png

Here's my problem, and I CAN'T solve it. :(
Wuxo
when i try to open screenshots it says "Erreur 404"
http://prntscr.com/4e5if6
Liash
It wont start :(
NotDario
It doesn't work :V
Vertify

Dario_Minecraft wrote:

It doesn't work :V
Gotta give more than just that. What have you done so far?
Smokeeyy
My osu doesn't even start up when i click on it nothing happens just the osu icon comes for 0.2 seconds and then disapear
Kurogamii

Smokeeyy wrote:

My osu doesn't even start up when i click on it nothing happens just the osu icon comes for 0.2 seconds and then disapear
try re-download app
AGRX
Novixion
Quotes

Agrrox wrote:

Agrrox wrote:

2. Run Wineskin.app

9.Run and enjoy osu!

sudo purge

this

I would recommend the above, however, I have had no problems playing osu! with the wrapper from the first post of this tread. (Haven't bother to upgrade wine engine)
Running at 300 FPS no problems can push it to 450-500 on unlimited.

System:

Late 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina Display
2.3 GHz i7
OSX 10.9.4
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Native Resolution: 2880x1800 Retina
Osu! Resolution: 1440x900 (non-HDPI) <-- I actually don't mind this very much not very noticeable while in game or playing.
Windowed Borderless

P.S. I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this before, if you have a Retina Display and are using Parallels to play osu!, you will be playing at your native Retina resolution, not HDPI mode. (Impacts game performance too)
mm201
Works for me in Parallels. (resolution warning)
Make sure you've unlocked the full resolution in the VM settings.
Novixion
Yeah, the resolution while running Parallels kills your Framerate.
AGRX
Sweet Drugs
I tried it >:( but then do I really have to drag it into my Applications? Cuz like... my mom used this admin thing to lock my account to download anything. Once I tried opening it, then they say I have cookies... T_T
Kurogamii

Sweet Drugs wrote:

I tried it >:( but then do I really have to drag it into my Applications? Cuz like... my mom used this admin thing to lock my account to download anything. Once I tried opening it, then they say I have cookies... T_T
actually any folder is fine, you doesn't need to move it into your application folder

oh some info, playing in OS X Yosemite Beta 5 isn't really bad
Froic
CRY* i can't create beat maps for osu because there isn't a files tab at the top. can't wait for osu to come out as an official app rather than a wine wrapper >.< peppy is there any other way where i can create a second difficulty for a beatmap?
Novixion

Mankachu wrote:

CRY* i can't create beat maps for osu because there isn't a files tab at the top. can't wait for osu to come out as an official app rather than a wine wrapper >.< peppy is there any other way where i can create a second difficulty for a beatmap?
The tabs at the top are actually there, you just have to tap around in the general area.

Froic
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! you have just saved my hard work of beatmapping xD.
show more