forum

Osu! on Steam.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Skraps
Steam just released quite a few "free to play" games on their network and i was thinking that if Osu! were availabe through steam it would gain quite a bit of exposure. Only a suggestion and I'm not too savvy on the inner-workings of steam's criteria requirements for the games they offer. What do you guys think?
Kira_old2
I'm already fine with the way it is right now. To be perfectly honest, I just can't envision osu! and Steam coming together.

Plus, if this were to happen, peppy would have to deal with substantially many more things than he is already. In my opinion, this seems rather improbable.
dNextGen
maybe no
KRZY
Yeah, osu doesn't need any more public exposure for now
Cheer-no
osu! runs perfectly fine through Steam if you select it as a non-Steam game. I don't see anything better than that coming from making it a Steam-native game - the online features that Steam offers are already covered quite nicely.
wager67
I use steam a fair bit and i often look at their news/homepage to check for the freebies, this isnt s BAD idea but its also not entirely NECESSARY
Zetta
peppy has said before that he doesn't need the exposure that steam would bring.

Personally I'd love it because it would get a lot more people playing osu.
billy96
nice way to boost some popularity, but i don't use Steam, so i don't really know this is necessary or not...
Kuudere-Senpai
I get enough people asking me what osu is when they see it popup on their screen just from running the game through it anyway.

I don't think a lot of people that use Steam are the type to play Rhythm games too much though, to be honest.
Haseo_old
osu! really needs to get exposed publicly, but not with Steam.
jjrocks
There other ways for osu to be exposed other than steam and even though it's hard to randomly come across other osu players using steam really isn't the best way to go around things. Plus the maturity of osu would die down even more.
Corin

jjrocks wrote:

There other ways for osu to be exposed other than steam and even though it's hard to randomly come across other osu players using steam really isn't the best way to go around things. Plus the maturity of osu would die down even more.
This community has maturity? My dear lord; where???!?

Also no, Valve monopolises everything they get there hands on.
Ephemeral
osu! receives enough publicity via word of mouth. we don't particularly want any more exposure.
marshallracer
also, don't forget about the servers
If too many people start playing Osu! at once, Bancho would suffer because of the suddenly high traffic ... but then again, i don't know, of what the servers are capable of for now ...

But seriously, No.
Sakura
xfire is good enough, i dont think osu! needs to be publicly exposed more than it is, MMOHut has already covered it as well.
Avedas

Blaze-Senpai wrote:

I don't think a lot of people that use Steam are the type to play Rhythm games too much though, to be honest.
Not really a rhythm game but Beat Hazard is on there. Either way I agree osu doesn't really need to be there at all. I can't imagine the legal troubles if this game got too popular.
Zetta

Avedas wrote:

Blaze-Senpai wrote:

Not really a rhythm game but Beat Hazard is on there. Either way I agree osu doesn't really need to be there at all. I can't imagine the legal troubles if this game got too popular.

I'm fairly sure it says somewhere in the osu TOS that any and all responsibility is on the user and not peppy.
Hika
inb4 Public exposure & the leading on of trolls.
I don't think we need any of that either.
Natteke
I don't approve osu being on steam
Ijah_old

Hika wrote:

inb4 Public exposure & the leading on of trolls.
I don't think we need any of that either.

Natteke wrote:

I don't approve osu being on steam
Avedas

Zetta wrote:

I'm fairly sure it says somewhere in the osu TOS that any and all responsibility is on the user and not peppy.
If you're uploading copyrighted material, yes, the responsibility is on you but a site wouldn't be allowed to provide the material without proper licenses anyway. A site can't just make a TOS placing ownership on the users then continue to provide services that they realize may not be legal. That is the reason movieforum.com lost their ability to direct users to sites where they could stream movies even though they claimed to not actually host any copyrighted material. Of course laws may differ from region to region but it's not exactly something to ignore.
show more