forum

I can't play 5* maps. Need advice to close the gap.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nattsun
Hello fellow circle clickers,

I'm trying to play 5* maps and apparently I can't play them. The only ones I can play are maps that have skill spikes and are full with PP jumps :<

I tried to become consistent in the 4.7-5* range before moving on to 5*s, it didn't help, now I'm just finishing any 5* map I have and I always have tons of misses and bad accuracy (92-98%)... How did you close the gap? I think it's my aim that holds me back, but actually it feels like everything is too hard for me.

INB4: Thanks for the "play more" advice.
Sayorie
Read more. Stream more.
Caput Mortuum
you're welcome
KupcaH

Eraser wrote:

you're welcome
-Makishima S-
tbh same but i cannot stand garbage pp jumps and i am way better at stream parts... but I just say to myself that it will come one day
N0thingSpecial
I personally think spamming through a shit ton of 5* TV size maps helped me closed the gap.

Like I never thought I could FC any anything from 5* until I actually spammed pp maps like tatoe blade dance miraizu Stella rium Redo fantastic dreamer no title. I also once told myself I will never be able to FC 6* maps and boom FCed a couple in the past month after spamming cross screen jump maps
Topic Starter
Nattsun

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I personally think spamming through a shit ton of 5* TV size maps helped me closed the gap.

Like I never thought I could FC any anything from 5* until I actually spammed pp maps like tatoe blade dance miraizu Stella rium Redo fantastic dreamer no title. I also once told myself I will never be able to FC 6* maps and boom FCed a couple in the past month after spamming cross screen jump maps
Would you say it's a good idea if I play every TV size from 4.9-5.5*?
Sayorie
Basically play more. If acc is a problem, then just play more to improve reading. Reading directly affects accuracy at this level IMO. This time you'll see harder patterns, 1/4 even stacks , kick sliders, bursts, and other patterns you'll have a hard time executing. Basically play more.
N0thingSpecial
Get decent score on them, just don't get addicted to FCing them like I did. Slowed down my progression quite a bit cause it developed bad muscle memory which made me pretty inconsistent in other maps that I didn't develop muscle memory for.
- Mha -
what are pp jumps
-Makishima S-

MHA wrote:

what are pp jumps
Every single garbage what fycho lately makes, including haitai
Completely not fitting into song unjustified jumps which are not rankable issue but aesthetic one and can be pushed into ranked by "friendly BN" without listening to community. So basically what Fycho and Tayenyang are doing.
DeathHydra
Your top plays are full of 5* maps. I don't get it.
Topic Starter
Nattsun

[Taiga] wrote:

MHA wrote:

what are pp jumps
Every single garbage what fycho lately makes, including haitai
Completely not fitting into song unjustified jumps which are not rankable issue but aesthetic one and can be pushed into ranked by "friendly BN" without listening to community. So basically what Fycho and Tayenyang are doing.
Basically, or spaced jumps that are still somewhat easy. Monstrata maps would be a good example, I don't know why, but they feel fairly easy for that spacing. (no disrespect Monstrata guy)

Sayorie wrote:

Basically play more. If acc is a problem, then just play more to improve reading. Reading directly affects accuracy at this level IMO. This time you'll see harder patterns, 1/4 even stacks , kick sliders, bursts, and other patterns you'll have a hard time executing. Basically play more.
That's what I do in the 4* range, but my accuracy is pretty much solid, this and I can stream decent enough for 4* maps. Thing is, I expected to have an easier time with my current skillset, I was so wrong, but I guess there is no way around except playing 5* maps and trying to get solid scores and hopefully FCs soon. Moving on from 3* to 4* maps was like a piece of a cake if I recall correctly.

DeathAdderz wrote:

Your top plays are full of 5* maps. I don't get it.
They are easier than you think. The mapping style is basically your generic 4* map, just with higher spacing and some skill spikes (that are still fairly easy) which leads to the amount of PP and starrating. And just by the way, only because I have some 5* scores as top plays (one of em is even a 5.9* map) doesn't mean I can play 5* maps. That counts for everyone, I have plenty of 4* maps that 4 digits couldn't/can't even pass and I'm not refering to pre2k11 maps.

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Get decent score on them, just don't get addicted to FCing them like I did. Slowed down my progression quite a bit cause it developed bad muscle memory which made me pretty inconsistent in other maps that I didn't develop muscle memory for.
That's probably my problem. I have that "Rohulk playstyle" (F2ing after missing on a map), that's why almost all of my FCs are first try plays, I guess I expected the same with 5* maps.

Thank you for all your advice!

PS: I know that "play more" is the only legitimiate advice you can give, but "play more" can literally mean everything. I should've ask for maps/mapping styles I should play lmao.
Pachiru
Play Taiko to improve your reading ability :arrow: :idea:

No really, I think you should try to play training beatmaps, do not play especially for earning rank or else, play for improving your skill and for fun ! :)
Zangston
I mean, what I did for harder maps was play with easy mode and no-fail mods on until I got SS, then take off no-fail until SS, and then just play normally.

After about a couple maps like this, I get the hang of it and start my path to slowly adapting to a new difficulty level.
DeathHydra
What is your definition of "can play 5* maps"?
Kyrari
I don't get how you can still say you can't play 5* lmao, sure dan dan is pretty simplistic in patterns but being able to hit the jumps themselves means you have the aim needed for playing 5* anyway.

And ofcourse maps that are way harder than their star rating exists, like HW maps or other non-ordinary maps ot even ar 8 maps because people just go vrooom vrooom all day these days. But I don't think not being able to do these maps necessarily mean you can't play 5*.
Topic Starter
Nattsun

VanillaSandvich wrote:

I don't get how you can still say you can't play 5* lmao, sure dan dan is pretty simplistic in patterns but being able to hit the jumps themselves means you have the aim needed for playing 5* anyway.

And ofcourse maps that are way harder than their star rating exists, like HW maps or other non-ordinary maps ot even ar 8 maps because people just go vrooom vrooom all day these days. But I don't think not being able to do these maps necessarily mean you can't play 5*.
Sometimes I drink 2 espressos (or to be more accurate 1.5l Red Bull) and get over it lmfao...

I can read AR8, I "wasted" my time on these old nightcore packs (most of 'em are AR8 OD8) until I 99d almost all of them. Thing is, it's exactly how you said, people go vroom vroom and I did the opposite. I am the type of guy who is playing 130BPM HW streammaps, who spams Basara and other "cancerous" stuff. Meta wants me to do the opposite.

DeathAdderz wrote:

What is your definition of "can play 5* maps"?
The same as playing 4* maps, being able to (almost) play all of them, not only meta. With 5* maps tons of 0108 maps come, high BPM maps that have way more circles per minute but ain't streamy at all. At some point I thought I can play 4* maps because I FCd so many high 4* maps, guess what, I couldn't play sliderheavy maps, nor low BPM maps and there are still maps that are out of my skilllevel.

And just by the way, Dan Dan is not my definition of a 5* map, because of the named reasons, it requires nothing but aim on some parts. IIRC it had 3 jumps that were hard, luck through them and you get so much PP, the map being slower than average makes it even easier imo.
DeathHydra
So, going by your definition of "can play 5* maps", most people can't play 5* maps because Notch Hell is 5*.

I mean, star rating is just way too bad to judge maps difficulties and you shouldn't worry too much about not being able to play some 5*.
Topic Starter
Nattsun

DeathAdderz wrote:

So, going by your definition of "can play 5* maps", most people can't play 5* maps because Notch Hell is 5*.

I mean, star rating is just way too bad to judge maps difficulties and you shouldn't worry too much about not being able to play some 5*.
Are you implying that I should chose the maps I play instead of picking them randomly?
N0thingSpecial
I think it means you pick the type of maps you want to be able to play and choose those types of maps randomly