Disgaea Discussion

posted
Total Posts
show more
LadySuburu

Zerostarry wrote:

I want to try this series

Which game should I start with?
It's very difficult (For me) to go back and play 1 after playing 2, and 2 after playing 3. There are certain features that make gameplay much quicker in each sequel. If you want to try the whole series, start with 1.

If you want to know how it plays as a whole, try 3 or grab 4.

Oh, and I know it's not a "loss" technically, but then I'll start over from scratch again in the future and use up another 200+ hours. (I did that twice in D3)
awp

Zerostarry wrote:

I want to try this series

Which game should I start with?
Disgaea 1 PSP if possible
LadySuburu

awp wrote:

Disgaea 1 PSP if possible
Forgot about the remakes. Yeah, any of the remakes/rereleases should be fine for the earlier games.
Ivalset
If you're going to play the earlier games, just play them for the story mostly then move on to the next one, assuming that's cost-effective for you.

If not, just start with 4, since it's guaranteed to have the best gameplay by far.
awp
I am happy to see they've apparently chosen to expand on the pirating stuff. Though Disgaea 3 allowed you to pirate pirate pirating pirate pirates so I don't know where you go from there.
foulcoon
I just ordered the super cool premium edition + figurine set because i wanted to waste that much money.

Pumped.
Azure_Kite
I am also pumped. This'll be great, and I'm already wasting another few hundred hours with Hyperdimension Neptunia (what. It's a Nippon Ichi title?)
adam2046

Azure_Kyte wrote:

I am also pumped. This'll be great, and I'm already wasting another few hundred hours with Hyperdimension Neptunia (what. It's a Nippon Ichi title?)
But it's an Idea Fuck Factory title.
Azure_Kite

adam2046 wrote:

Azure_Kyte wrote:

But it's an Idea Fuck Factory title.

I have an NIS America Logo on tthe cover, I dun care Stop making me look stupider than I am
LadySuburu
SPOILER
Fuka's Second unlockable Evility: "Prinny Annihilation" - Increases Fuka's stats by 20% for every prinny defeated on the map.

Combined with these strategies I already use:

Use level 1's as sacrifices normally.
Use prinny charaters as level 1 sacrifices normally.

The Evility works on all prinnies killed in any way on map. Including allies.

I've finally found a main character I'm going to level up past 100 for non-ending purposes. That evility is just amazing.
awp
that's pretty significant, especially for Prinny Sports levels
LadySuburu
Custom Level creation is a bit limited even though I enjoy it. Hopefully they'll patch it back up to JP standards in the future. I've also only tried the base allowances they give you without any online play. (Planning to do online stuff only after I've beaten the game.)
LadySuburu
Prinny explosions don't seem to qualify for the evility. Only when one is killed by either an ally or an enemy. I guess "Defeated" is more specific than I thought. (Still an amazing evility.)
Topic Starter
ampzz
That's a bit of a shame, I quite like tossing prinnies around just for the heck of it, especially after you've got a mildly leveled prinny as well into a nice cluster of enemies.

Ah well, Fuka's turning out to be an awesome character I'll be looking forward to using as a main-party character.
LadySuburu

ampzz wrote:

That's a bit of a shame, I quite like tossing prinnies around just for the heck of it, especially after you've got a mildly leveled prinny as well into a nice cluster of enemies.

Ah well, Fuka's turning out to be an awesome character I'll be looking forward to using as a main-party character.
The only thing I'm sad about is her low SPD stat. It means that if I want her dual-weilding mega-nekomatas, I'll have to do a lot of aptitude grinding.

Oh, and monsters have TWO passive evility slots, for a total of four when fused together. (I fully expect the damage to break a quadrillion this time around, with that "Forever Counter" geoblock and other things I've seen.)
Topic Starter
ampzz

LadySuburu wrote:

Oh, and monsters have TWO passive evility slots, for a total of four when fused together. (I fully expect the damage to break a quadrillion this time around, with that "Forever Counter" geoblock and other things I've seen.)
Oh my, I wonder if you could actually break the game if two of those were next to each other with an immortality geoblock as well...
UsagiBunny
uuh dammit i want ps3 to play disgaea 3 :twisted:
i already play all disgaea series in my psp

~demon lord cousin etna :twisted:
LadySuburu

ampzz wrote:

Oh my, I wonder if you could actually break the game if two of those were next to each other with an immortality geoblock as well...
Technically, it goes to 20 counters max. They specifically limited it to that to avoid breaking.

They just named it forever counter because most units will die by the end of that exchange.
LadySuburu
To anyone playing the game who wants free CP (For map editing) - Pirate Duel with LadySuburu at around rank 12 (at time of posting.)

I've got my units set to sit still, you should get a decent amount of CP (Up to 999) once per day.
awp

ampzz wrote:

LadySuburu wrote:

Oh my, I wonder if you could actually break the game
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness would crash to the OS if you built a counter chain to 10
lukewarmholiday
Since when did team and tower attacks not suck(visaually), and defending.

I should have played 3. SO SORRY DISGAEA 2 I DO NOT WANT TO ITEM WORLD AND STACK 15 TIMES TO RAISE FELONIES TO 300
Pokebis
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-disgaea-4/720409

HURR DURR WHY ARE THERE MENUS READING IS TOO HARD AND THE GRAPHICS SUCK. THE STORY ALSO HAS CLICHES EVEN THOUGH IT'S SATIRICAL BUT THAT WORD IS TOO BIG FOR ME TO UNDERSTAND.
LadySuburu

Pokebis wrote:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-disgaea-4/720409

HURR DURR WHY ARE THERE MENUS READING IS TOO HARD AND THE GRAPHICS SUCK. THE STORY ALSO HAS CLICHES EVEN THOUGH IT'S SATIRICAL BUT THAT WORD IS TOO BIG FOR ME TO UNDERSTAND.
lol, yeah. I saw that review. That was bad.
awp
News flash: Disgaea games are for Disgaea fans

more succinctly, Nippon Ichi games are for Nippon Ichi fans.
lukewarmholiday
The reviewer basically said, this is an SRPG, with an SRPG camera, and with a lot of depth to its SRPG elements so if you dont like SRPG's you wont like this game.

1-10 rating scales are stupid because the only things that qualify as 9-10 are 5 hour long ultra hyper streamlined games because they supposedly cater to everyone.

A large portion of great games this gen are mostly 8's and low 9's.
Pokebis
I don't understand why they attacked the difficulty and threw out the word complex all the time. I always thought Disgaea was one of the easiest, simpler SRPGs I've played.
foulcoon
Shipping Confirmation

Dear ,

Thank you for your order, your order has been shipped. If you have any questions, please call us at (714) 540-1185 or email us at storesupport@nisamerica.com.

Your package will be delivered by USPS. To track your order, please click on your USPS tracking number:

September 8, 2011

NIS America
1221 E. Dyer Rd. Suite 100
Santa Ana, CA 92705

Bill To: Ship To:
OMITTED BRUH

Item No. Item Qty
1 Disgaea 4 Online Store Set (Premium + Exclusive Figures) 1
- Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten Premium Edition 1
- Disgaea 4 Figure Set (Set of 9 figures) 1
- Disgaea 4 Original Soundtrack 1
lukewarmholiday

Pokebis wrote:

I don't understand why they attacked the difficulty and threw out the word complex all the time. I always thought Disgaea was one of the easiest, simpler SRPGs I've played.

Some people don't know how easy it is to grind in this game, really I want to be an asshole to the reviewer but seriously what is the average gamer let alone SRPG player gonna think about disgaea if he doesn't know all the ass random mechanics and just how stupid damage gets in the game. He's gonna try to play it normally and tactically and suddenly a boss 20 levels up appears and beats his ass.
Pokebis
I never had this problem and I always did my first runs guideless. I always felt like the game held my hand, but maybe that's different elements than what other people perceive.
awp
Item World can be a bit vicious early-on, but overall the game is quite easy (until the Land of Carnage in Disgaea 3, anyway). Oh, some of the Dark World puzzles in D2 were really tough, too. Just a massive time-sink of pure joy.

I never use a guide when playing Disgaea games. I sometimes look at the Steal formula, but that's about it. I don't know whether to call it overwhelming or unnecessary, but I've never seen any value in it. I don't want maximized stats because they cap at 20 million, and I can figure out on my own how to break the 11th digit when doing damage.
foulcoon
shitty pic is shitty

LadySuburu

foulcoon wrote:

shitty pic is shitty
Nice.

I'm currently trying to continue holding #1 on the Map Editor rankings.
awp
I'm nearing the end of the main storyline, so I'm about halfway to a third through the game now.

It's really going up and down atm - the main plot is just dragging and dragging, but the infighting is occasionally quite enjoyable. D4's cast is rather decent. I mean, the gossip circle trio are kind of lame, but they bring out the best in Fenrich, so I wouldn't complain.
Haseo_old
Playing Disgaea 2 right now. Currently trying to gain Majin :D
awp
Majin were only really worthwhile in Disgaea 1, so don't bust your balls for them
adam2046
Restarted Afternoon of Darkness since I'm finally finished grieving my lost save file.
awp
I think Tera Star is my favourite spell so far

Saturn!?
Topic Starter
ampzz
Highly devastated.
My copy of Disgaea 4 has yet to arrive..
awp
yeesh and I've clocked like 45 hours on mine :<

Some pirates tried to gank me earlier today but they were level 45-ish and Desco was about 200 so she wasted them all
Topic Starter
ampzz
Any highly valuable initial characters that carry on through to main party use?
show more