forum

Is restarting a map bad?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chp1n
I just recently started playing this game, and I love it. I have gotten myself a tablet because I know hat I will enjoy getting better at this game and just enjoy sinking a ton of time into it. But I've noticed that I have a rather high play count and I assume that it's because I restart my maps often, is that bad?
Jukkii
it really depends, as a new player it can help you learn patterns, but can also lead to developing bad muscle memory, just to be safe try a lot of different maps. play maps you can FC
-Yuni
I would retry a map two times if you can't fc it then switch map.
tkdLolly

-Yuni wrote:

That's similar to ragequitting :)

If your goal is to FC then restarting when you miss is a common practice (right? :roll:

If not, it's often good to complete the song, recognise difficult bits, to play better the next time round. :idea:
Licanmaster
Other day, Angelsim was restarting a map for like 45 mins (the map was only 1:30min duration).
When cookiezi did freedom dive 800pp he restarted that map a lot.
And there's more examples of this.
Just try to don't tilt when you are restarting and you'll be fine.
Pokki
Eh, if you're trying to learn to play osu! I say playing a wide variety and range of different maps helps a lot more than retrying the same thing over and over.
Getting pp though is a different story
I Give Up
It is not good or bad. If you restart map then you are improving your skills on that particular map. If you don't restart and move onto a different map then you are taking whatever tiny portion of skill you got from that map and applying it to the next one.

Long story short: restarting boosts your rank, not restarting keeps your rank at your real level of consistency. Either way you're improving.
Nattsun

tkdLolly wrote:

-Yuni wrote:

If your goal is to FC then restarting when you miss is a common practice (right? :roll:

If not, it's often good to complete the song, recognise difficult bits, to play better the next time round. :idea:
No it is not similar to ragequitting. Learn the game not the map!

I only finish maps with mapping styles that can't play, like 0108 maps or sliderheavy maps in general. Retrying doesn't have to be bad, but in most cases you shouldn't.
Hibiya-chan
You can retry maps but avoid retrying without finishing it else you'll be just memorizing the map. Don't be like me that has 80% of my playcount be pure retry.
Sayorie
It's neither bad nor good, so it doesn't really matter. Sometimes I spam retry for pp, most of the time I don't retry. Depends on how you work yourself with the game.
lolol234
Generally, it is more beneficial for you to not restart a map and rather finish the entire map with that error in order to practice consistency. Most people restart because they want to try to FC a map, for ranking. If this is not your main objective I suggest you not
-Makishima S-
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7439919 - 14 retry

Why?

Because i know i can FC this but i lose focus constantly. SLLS before 14th retry and it was easy.

When to retry?

At your stage, just play map after map, get familiar with this game.
When you will know you can make SOLID FC on a map and YOU KNOW your mistakes why you miss / sliderbreak - you can retry without worring about bad habits. Else... you will only develop them and screw yourself.

All depends on your ability to know your mistakes and know your ability to fix it. If you know you are too slow and that is why you miss - get other maps, work on speed, if you know you lose focus and missread something - get yourself together and try again.
kai99
C'mon, I restart all the time. I have bad habits but I believe it'll fix itself when I actually get disadvantages from them on higher star maps. Hopefully.
-Makishima S-

kai99 wrote:

C'mon, I restart all the time. I have bad habits but I believe it'll fix itself when I actually get disadvantages from them on higher star maps. Hopefully.
Delusional bullshit.

Bad habits doesn't fix "itself".

Do you ever know what is muscle memory?
kai99

[Taiga] wrote:

kai99 wrote:

Delusional bullshit.

Bad habits doesn't fix "itself".

Do you ever know what is muscle memory?
I'm low level, so I barely have experienced what it is, nor do I use it. Most maps I play with reaction and memory, not muscle memory. (I'm in the 1k pp/3* range, as you can see) That's why I said higher star maps- the harder this game gets, I know I'll need muscle memory, but I don't need it yet lol. My grip changes every day. The way I press my keys change every day. Bad habits stay, and I do have some at the moment, but I'll have to get used to them/ find a way to get rid of them eventually.

I don't mean someone should try one map for 20+ times. (Even though I do sometimes) I mean that retrying is also important.

Well, there was some explanation for my "delusional bullshit". Hope you enjoyed. :D
-Makishima S-
I know I'll need muscle memory, but I don't need it yet lol.
You are so terribly wrong that i cannot imagine.

What is easier - gaining muscle memory about movement and tapping from start (which you use all the time no matter on what type of maps) or trying to gain it later and strugle for half years unable to make any progress?

Logic for fuck sake.
-Yuni

tkdLolly wrote:

-Yuni wrote:

welp, i guess i didn't word it quite good, i meant you retry 2 times, if you cannot fc it just finish the map and then switch to another one.
kai99

[Taiga] wrote:

I know I'll need muscle memory, but I don't need it yet lol.
You are so terribly wrong that i cannot imagine.

What is easier - gaining muscle memory about movement and tapping from start (which you use all the time no matter on what type of maps) or trying to gain it later and strugle for half years unable to make any progress?

Logic for fuck sake.
Ugh sorry for my fucking logic, I feel like I can gain muscle memory along the way I play maps and make progress. Sir, you know you're trying to fight against a 1k pp player right? I'm a total noob at this game and I'll learn however I want to. If I get stuck, I'll be stuck for a while and I'll make progress from there.

KukiMonster wrote:

It is not good or bad. If you restart map then you are improving your skills on that particular map. If you don't restart and move onto a different map then you are taking whatever tiny portion of skill you got from that map and applying it to the next one.
Otherwise, OP, I believe this is the advice I agree with. I usually stop retrying when I start tilting (because I've retried too much) and make a category for maps separately that I've retried a lot of times but couldn't fc so I can try it out at a later date.
Anemic Witch
Restarting isn't good or bad it heavily depends on what are you trying to achieve. For new players I would recommend to play as many new maps as possible instead of trying to FC one specific.
-Makishima S-
Sir, you know you're trying to fight against a 1k pp player right?
Just trying to save another 1k pp player from spamming forum with "i can't get pp help".
Sayorie
I actually want to avoid spoonfeeding these people the same solutions for mundane problems like these. Jeezus.
kai99

[Taiga] wrote:

Sir, you know you're trying to fight against a 1k pp player right?
Just trying to save another 1k pp player from spamming forum with "i can't get pp help".
Oh, don't worry. I know those are annoying af, I've seen too many in this forum already xDDDD
N0thingSpecial
I don't retry if I know it's mind block on a map I know I can FC, retry if I know I can FC it in 5 tries, never retry when playing for improvement.
Sayorie
There's actually this thing I call 'map exhaustion' which makes me lose my reading after retrying too much (like after 10 retries). It's very similar to 'jamais vu', which is about losing meaning to a word after cognitive repetition. This actually means that first try sight-reading works best for me (which worked on almost all of my recent top scores). Quoting NothingSpecial, it's also kind of a mind block thingy.

This is my first time discussing this phenomenon, and I'm quite curious if others experience this too.
thr1ve
Retrying - pp gains
Not retrying - improvement

Personally, when I get fc on a map it's usually between first 3 retries, if I can't do it I just play once or twice until the end and try to fc it another day.
What I always recommend is NEVER RETRY. Some people just don't know how helpful it is to play every time until the end and have each play in your playcount have weight behind it. It helps your tapping stamina, aiming stamina, your consistency.

"Oh yeah? There is this one moment in a map where I always miss, isn't it better to just play until I FC that moment?"
Well, no...

There are easier ways to fix your bad habits or just learn to play this unfortunate moment that makes it unable to fc your beloved map. Edit it out.
Go into map editor, edit out the moment that you're having troubles with. Save as new difficulty. Practice it.
It will save you a lot of time and nerves ;). Seriously go do it. Good luck!
Jukkii
ive said this before, but never retrying is bad. playing a map until the end and then playing it again is retrying too, not just retrying from the pause menu. retrying is one of the main keys when it comes to stamina training for example. retrying a stream or singletap stamina map is the way to train those traits
kai99
Usually I set my max retries to 20 and if I retry more than that in one go, I either finish the map or try another song. Retrying a song 15+ times imo is really useless but otherwise it helps
-Golden-
Retrying is definitely not bad, just make sure if you feel tilted to move on. It will only get worse if you continue.