forum

What tablet should I get?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cirno-_old
I'm thinking of getting a graphics tablet for both drawing and osu. I am finally deciding to pursue my dreams and learn to draw instead of constantly looking at other peoples's art. My dream is to eventually work for valve as someone who can work with the artists and programmers but right now I want to learn to draw on the PC and never really had much experience at all even on paper.

Anyways my budget is anything around 40-70.

This is what I found after research that may be good and I'd like your thoughts on it :)

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-Pen- ... 273&sr=1-1

Thanks in advance :3
dkun
Bamboo, yes.

Best choice there is, imho. I own one myself, and it's just superb. :)
KRZY

cirno- wrote:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_ ... Categories

Wacom Graphire 4

affordable, high-quality (fast cursor reaction time), okay size

+ it's what i use
Vext_old

KRZY wrote:

it's what i use
/thread
Corin
I somewhat want a Intuos4 Medium now...
IppE

Corin wrote:

I wouldn't suggest getting an Intuos just for osu!

If you draw stuff etc. and really need a more accurate tablet, then maybe.
Corin

IppE602 wrote:

Corin wrote:

I wouldn't suggest getting an Intuos just for osu!

If you draw stuff etc. and really need a more accurate tablet, then maybe.
Nononon, I want to start drawing.
Jozie_old
I definitely recommend getting Wacom Intuos 4 M. It may be expensive but it is totally 100% worth every penny.
If you want a tablet for drawing of course. Buying it just For Osu! may be an overkill. :)

It is very very high quality and professional tablet. My 1st tablet was aiptek's A4 sized tablet and that was just horrible. Words can't describe it. Even old mouse did better and had more accuracy than that tablet. After all it had no use and ended up being my mousepad. The Wacom is totally different from that piece of crap :P Intuos 4's pressure levels, surface and pen make the tablet feel like real paper/canvas.

However if someone can't draw with pen and paper, Wacoms will not instantly make them good artists. If you don't need professional quality, then some smaller/cheaper tablet will do. Really.

Also If you just can't afford Intuos 4, almost any Wacom product may be ok... They really know how to make tablets there :P
Corin
Plus the tips, oh my god, they are so cheap for such good things
Chaotic_old
The Bamboo is great, but the pen design makes me rage a bit. There is no grip on it at all, and the 2 buttons are where your fingers are.. pretty much.

Bamboo is probably the best choice still
Shael_old
Why do people get Pen & Touch? The Pen only version is more than enough for osu!
boat
pen and touch version has more pressure points, and is overall better and more precise

better not only for osu
Lilac
If anyone is wondering, I still haven't got my tablet from the contest yet...Otherwise I could tell you how it is.
Daru
1st Gen Bamboo - Meh.
2nd Gen Bamboo Pen or Pen/Touch- Great
2nd Gen Bamboo Fun - Greater

Intuos3 - Awesome
Intuos4 - More Awesome

Graphire4 - Good

These are my thoughts for digital art. Price tends to correlate with quality, and I wouldn't buy a non-Wacom tablet. Wacom specializes in tablets - that's all that they make. Look anywhere else, and you'll either find a re-branded generic, or a company that produces general electronic goods along with their tablets.

As for osu!, you're not going to notice a difference between any of them, other than size and some very slight latency differences.
gat1toneku

KRZY wrote:

cirno- wrote:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_ ... Categories

Wacom Graphire 4

affordable, high-quality (fast cursor reaction time), okay size

+ it's what i use
hey i use it too,

@daru intuoses come at a high price though
Daru

gatitoneku wrote:

@daru intuoses come at a high price though
You get what you pay for, though.
Obviously, it's not absolutely necessary for digital art - a graphire or Bamboo is really all you need, but if you know you're going to get lots of use out of your tablet, you might as well spring for the intuos4 now, instead of getting a Bamboo, then realizing further down the line that you want an Intuo4. I would recommend borrowing a friend's tablet for a bit to see if digital art is something that really appeals to you. If you see yourself doing this for years to come, then I would save up for the Intuos4. If you see yourself using it only intermittently, then a 2nd Gen Bamboo or a Graphire4 would be your best bet.

Of course, if you're just looking to play osu!, grab a second-hand Graphire4 off Craigslist or eBay for cheap, since things like pressure levels, tilt sensitivity, barrel rotation, etc. make no difference in osu!. Increased tracking resolution on newer tablets will make no noticeable difference in osu!.