forum

Spinner Lag

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pyrobug
Hi guys. As I'm new here and this is my first post, let me start off by saying that this is an awesome piece of software. It's a great idea and very well executed.

As for my question: For the most part, the game runs silky smooth on my comp. However, whenever I come to a spinner, the game lags. It's best described as a major hiccup in the sound, but I believe there's a slight video lag, too. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4ghz
2GB RAM
GPU: GeForce 7600 GS
Creative Audigy 2 sound card

I tried limiting the framerate, but to no avail. I also tried playing offline. This reduced the problem, but didn't solve it. I also tried turning off my antivirus (Kapersky) which didn't seem to have an effect.
peppy
I would heavily recommend you update your audio drivers, and possible have a play with your audio settings if that fails. Spinners can cause some strange problems on some systems (seen it about twice before) due to the frequency modulation in the sound as you spin higher.

Give it a try and see how you go.
awp

peppy wrote:

Spinners can cause some strange problems on some systems (seen it about twice before) due to the frequency modulation in the sound as you spin higher.
And that is why OEWY is the best skin ever

x_x

(seriously give the osu! Ends With You skin a try to see if you still have the spinner problem; it handles spinner audio slightly differently than other skins)
Topic Starter
pyrobug
Actually, spinners work correctly with pretty much ANY skin other than default. Thanks. And I like the OEWY skin a lot, but because my brain is easily confused by new and strange things, I just used the EBA skin. Plus, Shiki doesn't talk ever, so that's a plus.
awp
I don't like Shiki I usually change my partner to Beat or J-dawg when playing osu!

Also hmm, I know EBO uses its own spinner wav files but I don't know why the problem is only present in default when they all do the speedup calculations.
Yves14
How do you update em'??? :)
Anzo
Can OSU! somehow load (in memory) all the textures/images (spinner images and the like) before playing the game?
It's because... I think the lag only happens in the first spinner, and then after that, the game goes smoothly again....