forum

Question for Alternating Players

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_7198956
I've reached a bizarre trade off with alternating. I used to be able to play harder, more difficult songs in the past by mashing more, but I find it harder to do so after raising my accuracy some and focusing more on getting and maintaining combos over just hitting the circles. Previously, I used to be able to hit some larger jumps, but some jumps I was able to do previous seem harder now that I'm just focusing on accuracy and not missing over just passing the song. Do any of you alternating players have any tips on how to train for large and consecutive jumps? My only real fear is not improving at all(retrying as many times as needed is fine), so I'm just asking if this is a normal phenomenon.

TL;DR

Switched priority from passing to accuracy

Failing maps I didn't used to fail before. Normal?
Sandy Hoey
Yes, this isnt even an alternating problem. Mashing is all luck, and now that you are trying to play based off your skill you realize that you aren't as good as you think you are. That isnt a bad thing, happens to everyone. You just need to tune it back a little on the difficulties and you will eventually get to where you want to be

Its always better to focus on your actual skill level than just passing a map, which in the end really doesn't do anything for you skill wise. All it does is make you feel good, which is needed sometimes. MORAL BOOST
Nattsun
It is indeed normal. Let's say you have a "1-2"-jump pattern and hit the first note way earlier, you'll have more time to aim for the second note, but if you wait until you hit the note with a 300 you'll obviously have less time.

You should definitely focus on accuracy, in my opinion everyone who is at the edge of becoming a 5digit should have 99% accuracy on 3* maps and easy 4* maps. I mean easy maps are the fundament of what's coming next, if you don't spend time to build these skillsets you'll hit so many walls and slow down improvment and enjoyment. Retrying might help in the early stages, but you can't close huge skillgaps, which become harder to close the harder the map is.
Fxjlk
Improvement isn't a straight line, sometimes you get worse before you get better because your subconscious mind tries new things.
CaptainAhab_old

Le Poi wrote:

Switched priority from passing to accuracy

Failing maps I didn't used to fail before. Normal?
Yes, and it will pay off in the long run. There's no rush on the road to success in this game. :)
Blitzfrog
Right, big jumps. I doubt you were doing them properly. I mean you probably could not have been hitting them in high accuracy and good combo. You probably just kept playing around 5 songs with the large jumps.

Point is, the previous you is not better. Someone that can hit 5 notes out of 8 in a 6* jump isn't better than someone who can hit 18 out of 20 5* jumps. Youte getting more consistent, and you're improving. In fact, sticking to low level stuff allows you to learn faster, because you are aware of when you're missing. Whereas in higher stars, you probably miss every 3 notes which means you have no way to tell which one was right which one was wrong. When you can't tell which one is right, your muscle memory takes in whatever, resulting in bad habits that are really hard to remove
Veross
Of course actually hitting notes with great accuracy is harder, no surprise there. Mashing can only get you so far, just play more