forum

Why do higher ranked players do this?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sk8forlife51
So i've spectated a lot of gameplay on 5-6 star songs and most players will use mostly X throughout the entire beatmap and only use Z occasionally on streams. Why do you just use one key? Would it not be more taps/second if you use Z and X or is this just the rhythm you guys keep up with only tapping 1 key? I don't understand I use my Z and X equally as if i were tapping my fingers on a desk. Is this the wrong way to go about it...?
Caput Mortuum
First off, for anything gameplay related, post here --> 13

There are no wrong tapping styles in osu!standard.

There is singletapping. They always use only one key on 1/1 and 1/2 or even 1/4 beats throughout the map if it's possible. The reason for this is because they are already used so much to singletapping, doing alternating style will fuck their mind and mess up.

Then there is alternating. Just like what the name said, you keep alternating between z and x throughout the map, regardless of how fast the map is.

The last one is just somebody who changes their playstyle whenever they feel like it.
I Give Up
Do not try to copy other players. Believe in yourself.
N0thingSpecial
Try both and see what works, both are very effective tapping styles that I want to learn both cause they each have their pros and cons
-Yuni
It's just preference.
chainpullz
Because this is a rhythm game and not a button mashing game. :^)
NixXSkate
Singletapping is an advantage for accuracy, synchronizing with your aim hand, and sometimes transferring the beat into streams. Since it requires more speed, it'll benefit for speed training in the long run. Alternating is an advantage for 1/2 note speed, preserving stamina, and aim control. Since it requires more accuracy, it'll benefit for accuracy training in the long run. Generally people who choose to only alternate tap hard during jumpy sections anyway in an attempt to control the speed and synchronize with you aim hand, anyway.

Most versatile pros will singletap and only alternate when necessary, but there are some that alternate all the time. Do whatever you want.
Nattsun

NixXSkate wrote:

Singletapping is an advantage for accuracy, synchronizing with your aim hand, and sometimes transferring the beat into streams. Since it requires more speed, it'll benefit for speed training in the long run. Alternating is an advantage for 1/2 note speed, preserving stamina, and aim control. Since it requires more accuracy, it'll benefit for accuracy training in the long run. Generally people who choose to only alternate tap hard during jumpy sections anyway in an attempt to control the speed and synchronize with you aim hand, anyway.

Most versatile pros will singletap and only alternate when necessary, but there are some that alternate all the time. Do whatever you want.
I disagree with the accuracy part. It might be natural to think that alternating is worse for the accuracy, but if you can actually tap to the beat accuracy comes naturally. I'm fully alternating since #100k and I compared my accuracy in both styles on OD9 maps with lots of singletaps, guess what, alternating is way easier, at least for me.
winber1
full alternating in generally is rhythmically harder to learn, since when you do streams you can either end on your z or x even if the streams are the of the same parity (of even or odd), whereas you'll always end up on the same finger for odds and different finger for evens when you singletap. consistency goes a long way for things like this, but preference is still better, it's just a matter of how far you'll go and how far you want to go in a goddamn circle clicking game.