forum

So why no mod is best practise??

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Blitzfrog

N0thingSpecial wrote:

DT and HR makes things seem vroom vroom think no need rhythm sense so mashinged and mashing makes improvement sad :(
But at higher star rating it's vroom vroom anyway
Sayorie
HD is fun with free pp.
Sandy Hoey
Hd is different though. It is the only mod that is more of a style change than a difficulty increase
Sayorie
Have you tried playing HD with cross screen jumps, technical maps, or aim-intensive streams?
Topic Starter
Blitzfrog
I actually think HD is one of the worst...

Just because of the sheer fact that it changes playstyle
Sandy Hoey
I only play HD... So... yes

Blitzfrog wrote:

I actually think HD is one of the worst...

Just because of the sheer fact that it changes playstyle
Yeah, I dont think it should have the same multiplier as HR
Sayorie
As HD fades out the hit objects before they're supposed to be hit, it makes precision aiming more difficult than nomod. Also zero stack leniency is a **** in HD.

Well, whatever.
Sandy Hoey

Sayorie wrote:

As HD fades out the hit objects before they're supposed to be hit, it makes precision aiming more difficult than nomod. Also zero stack leniency is a **** in HD.

Well, whatever.
Well, maybe it's different for me than it is for you. I can't read at all with nomod on. I basically become retarded
N0thingSpecial

Blitzfrog wrote:

But at higher star rating it's vroom vroom anyway
Thwy vroom vroom noe but vroom vroom moar wif DT or HR, cause AR xd.
Buster
nice misspelling of practice
Sayorie

Lolinator2000 wrote:

A 13-year old like you can easily google the word for verification if it is thought of as invalid.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/practice-or-practise/
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/practise
http://www.future-perfect.co.uk/grammar ... -practice/
I Give Up
There is really no difference between nomod, DT, and HR anymore (besides AR10+ and CS9000). There are nomod maps that have the same settings as DT/HR maps nowdays that it does not really matter.

The best way to practise consistency is to simply stop hitting the retry button, and play a variety of maps and mods.

Lolinator2000 wrote:

Practice is a noun. Practise is the verb.
Buster

Sayorie wrote:

Lolinator2000 wrote:

A 13-year old like you can easily google the word for verification if it is thought of as invalid.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/practice-or-practise/
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/practise
http://www.future-perfect.co.uk/grammar ... -practice/
k i understand
markii

Blitzfrog wrote:

Just wondering why you folks say that using mod doesn't build base skills.
I mean in one sense they're still just playing the game in the exact same way, HR could very well be a no mod, DT too except with higher ar.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to argue against this but just wondering where this was coming from
because if you DT a 3.5* map to make it 5* or whatever it ends up being, you aren't learning more complex patterns you are just faster at REALLY easy stuff, HR has a similar issue, with pattern complexity, but not as extreme, also HR has a high skill floor to even hit the circle accurately, if you are a low rated player there's a VERY good chance you simply don't have the control, and accuracy for OD 10 and cs 5.2~, not to mention you probably can't read AR10, so by the time you spend 6 months brute forcing your way to learning HR you're right where you were with nomod in PP value, but now you can play HR, if you got good enough for it to come naturally, you can spend those 6 months focusing on getting good.
-Yuni
no-mod master race
Caput Mortuum
Yeah, what markii said. HT of a 6* could give more benefit because you're exposed to a more complex pattern, but at a much lower speed.

btw don't bother to talk seriously with Lolinator :)
Topic Starter
Blitzfrog

markii wrote:

Blitzfrog wrote:

because if you DT a 3.5* map to make it 5* or whatever it ends up being, you aren't learning more complex patterns you are just faster at REALLY easy stuff, HR has a similar issue, with pattern complexity, but not as extreme, also HR has a high skill floor to even hit the circle accurately, if you are a low rated player there's a VERY good chance you simply don't have the control, and accuracy for OD 10 and cs 5.2~, not to mention you probably can't read AR10, so by the time you spend 6 months brute forcing your way to learning HR you're right where you were with nomod in PP value, but now you can play HR, if you got good enough for it to come naturally, you can spend those 6 months focusing on getting good.
Sure enough about the patterns, but by that criteria shouldn't people just look for complex pattern makers like Hollow Wings and Skystar?
That literately helps them more in terms of pattern than playing 500 different no mod TV sized jump maps
Caput Mortuum

Blitzfrog wrote:

Sure enough about the patterns, but by that criteria shouldn't people just look for complex pattern makers like Hollow Wings and Skystar?
That literately helps them more in terms of pattern than playing 500 different no mod TV sized jump maps
Yes, people should.
But you know, pp and stuff
chainpullz

Eraser wrote:

Blitzfrog wrote:

Yes, people should.
But you know, pp and stuff
^^^
Except lul skystar. Everything went downhill for him with ame to asphalt. Most of his maps these days focus on *rating rather than complexity.
B1rd
ame to asphalt is a good map.
Sayorie

B1rd wrote:

ame to asphalt is a good map.
Except for that section where I choked on in a multi match. RIP 300pp.

Nevertheless,

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Well, maybe it's different for me than it is for you. I can't read at all with nomod on. I basically become retarded
You know, you can make a skin for nomod similar to HD with invisible approach circles. It's basically HD but without the hit object fading out. You probably just can't read default nomod because of the approach circle clutter.
Sandy Hoey

Sayorie wrote:

Sandy Hoey wrote:

You know, you can make a skin for nomod similar to HD with invisible approach circles. It's basically HD but without the hit object fading out. You probably just can't read default nomod because of the approach circle clutter.
Thanks for the advice, but I've tried that already. It is still too cluttered for me. And since the disappearing doesn't seem to hinder me, I might as well
N0thingSpecial

Blitzfrog wrote:

Every pattern has its merit, but that being said , from a mapping perspective, mapping low star rating discourage complex patterns, DT is therefore just more physically demanding in terms of spacing, no real challenge in the reading department.
HR I don't have much comment since I don't play with HR that often, but I think what happens is that your aim is gonna be reaction base and not muscle memory based, tapping when aim is muscle memory based is much more consistent that's how you overcome OD10, you develop muscle memory better on slow shit where you can actually read the fukin pattern

Also skystar patterns are not that complex lol
Topic Starter
Blitzfrog

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Blitzfrog wrote:

Every pattern has its merit, but that being said , from a mapping perspective, mapping low star rating discourage complex patterns, DT is therefore just more physically demanding in terms of spacing, no real challenge in the reading department.
HR I don't have much comment since I don't play with HR that often, but I think what happens is that your aim is gonna be reaction base and not muscle memory based, tapping when aim is muscle memory based is much more consistent that's how you overcome OD10, you develop muscle memory better on slow shit where you can actually read the fukin pattern

Also skystar patterns are not that complex lol

I would say majority of 6* are more complex in pattern than 7* doe....

Skystar, Chrono Divers thingy has awesome patterns
N0thingSpecial
Would you DT 6* doe? No
Would you HR something if you can't even confidently hit complex patterns in AR9? No for reasons I mentioned, rohulk is good at HR cause he seen shit ton of patterns and he can confidently hit them no matter wat AR.

Chromo divers is just tip of the iceberg, it's a nice map but it's not challenging in the reading department
[Haku]

markii wrote:

Really just that, this is a pattern problem. HD is an exception for the same reason, it doesn't change patterns so it's a good way to improve as well.
Topic Starter
Blitzfrog

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Would you DT 6* doe? No

No, just DT 7* like Rafis

Would you HR something if you can't even confidently hit complex patterns in AR9? No for reasons I mentioned, rohulk is good at HR cause he seen shit ton of patterns and he can confidently hit them no matter wat AR.

By that criteria, should EZ not be the best mod then? HR doesn't really change the pattern except isolating notes, which means the problem here is the high AR. So by that criteria shouldn't EZ be better than no mod? From my experience with EZ, a different type of reading though

Chromo divers is just tip of the iceberg, it's a nice map but it's not challenging in the reading department

Well to be honest most that have good patterns are in the graveyard...
Endaris
Because nomod is the center. You can go in each direction from nomod. If osu! was a tree it would be the roots and the trunk.
chainpullz
I prefer ar8.5-9.0 tbh

All this 9.1+ stuff in modern mapping is a drag. If HR didn't increase AR I would leave it on permenantly.
N0thingSpecial

Blitzfrog wrote:

By that criteria, should EZ not be the best mod then? HR doesn't really change the pattern except isolating notes, which means the problem here is the high AR. So by that criteria shouldn't EZ be better than no mod? From my experience with EZ, a different type of reading though

N0thingSpecial wrote:

confidently hit them no matter wat AR
OK let me rephrase this, mappers are encouraged to use AR that doesn't crowd your screen with circles, or an AR that it physically stains you. So no mod is the most comfortable way of developing muscle memory for patterns, then you can proceed to HR/EZ where there an added difficulty of reading, but since your muscle memory is already good from no mod, you can focus on reading instead.

Considering the memey little fuck you r, u might say "but N0thingSpecial some people are comfortable with AR10 and they practice with HR". Yes these people exist, there are people from stepmania who play with high scrow speed, when they start to play osu!std, and move on to HR, they can develop muscle memory with HR on their reaction is already good. There are exceptions to the case.
Topic Starter
Blitzfrog

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Considering the memey little fuck you r
But I don't even meme much :( :( :(

N0thingSpecial wrote:

OK let me rephrase this, mappers are encouraged to use AR that doesn't crowd your screen with circles, or an AR that it physically stains you. So no mod is the most comfortable way of developing muscle memory for patterns, then you can proceed to HR/EZ where there an added difficulty of reading, but since your muscle memory is already good from no mod, you can focus on reading instead.

Considering the memey little fuck you r, u might say "but N0thingSpecial some people are comfortable with AR10 and they practice with HR". Yes these people exist, there are people from stepmania who play with high scrow speed, when they start to play osu!std, and move on to HR, they can develop muscle memory with HR on their reaction is already good. There are exceptions to the case.
So basically this is saying learn muscle memory then move on to other ARs where there may be difficulty increase. So basically playing at an AR you are comfortable at till you get good muscle memory then expand out? Which means editing map's AR to your ideal AR, and once you have gotten the muscle memory to snap notes and stuff, you go onto other AR is the best option?
N0thingSpecial
You can say that if no mod AR isn't comfortable for you

Same could be said if you want to push for a more challenging AR
E m i

Endaris wrote:

Because nomod is the center. You can go in each direction from nomod. If osu! was a tree it would be the roots and the trunk.
best explanation, playing all maps/mods/whatever is best but gotta start somewhere
kai99
I personally don't agree with the statement that nomod is the best practice and the argument of "DT/HD/HR doesn't help you increase skills".

For me, in order to improve, I usually do whatever highest nomod fc I can do until I can't squeeze any more pp out of my hands --> play DT on lower, much lower maps that still give pp --> play HDHR on higher maps I've already fc'ed --> nomod.... over and over again.
Except I can't HDHR/DT maps I do nowadays so I've been sticking to nomod.

Nomod helps map reading and helps hone basic skills, while other mods help different advanced skills such as reaction time, memorization, etc...
Topic Starter
Blitzfrog
I just want to point out, I think AR 10 and above has little to do with reaction speed but more about how fast your can perceive then aim at the object
B1rd

kai99 wrote:

I personally don't agree with the statement that nomod is the best practice and the argument of "DT/HD/HR doesn't help you increase skills".

For me, in order to improve, I usually do whatever highest nomod fc I can do until I can't squeeze any more pp out of my hands --> play DT on lower, much lower maps that still give pp --> play HDHR on higher maps I've already fc'ed --> nomod.... over and over again.
Except I can't HDHR/DT maps I do nowadays so I've been sticking to nomod.

Nomod helps map reading and helps hone basic skills, while other mods help different advanced skills such as reaction time, memorization, etc...
Your statement would carry more weight if you weren't the rank you were. It can be argued it's no use touching mods until 4000pp, but most definitely not under 1000.
kai99

B1rd wrote:

Your statement would carry more weight if you weren't the rank you were. It can be argued it's no use touching mods until 4000pp, but most definitely not under 1000.
Tru. xD Can't say no to that.
Banbeucmas
Put aside EZ/HT
NM seem to be help you with reading practice tbh
HD would help you with rhythm sense and reaction time
I mainly play HD as the main playstyle but also play Nomod for warm up/reading patterns, about 2 or 3 months ago AR8 No mod was my limit, Even with NM AR 8 I can't even handle some complex pattern which would mess up my sightread badly
So I changed to HD, After a week of playing HD I was able to get a good acc on map I played month ago with NM(Mainly 98 - 99%) and pass the map that I suck so bad at acc back then. Only 1 thing changed is that my reading skill with nomod was worse + I cannot read too complex pattern with HD on, so I play NM again then now I play it just for warm up and playing song that I have FCed
Tbh, right now playing NM AR9 is like Playing HD 8.5