forum

LiSA - Catch the Moment -Radio Edit ver.-

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and
official digital file distributor recochoku, the meta copied from the file.
refer to p/5891962
btw I bought the file before the full ver release, so it is clearly official source, kwan proved that.
Maxus
weee another one xd
Congrats for the qualify! dat bg.. wanna big fav huh? :p
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

Maxus wrote:

weee another one xd
Congrats for the qualify! dat bg.. wanna big fav huh? :p
;^) Thank you and why not.
Also thanks to everyone who helped <3
Pho
Hi there Shad0w1and o/ Before seeing this map being pushed through the ranked section, I have some quality concerns about the highest difficulty of this set:

[Ultra]
  1. The map seems like it tries to be special in certain ways, but many parts ended up being either overdone or not well-thought out for the song:
  2. 00:00:074 - to 00:08:916 - Starting right at the beginning, the 1/2 singletaps are too much compared to what is actually offered in the song at this point, about 50% of the taps land on weak, barely-emphasized snare sounds (red ticks).
    Keep in mind that the tempo of the song is already pretty high, 1/2 sliders would be more fitting to the intensity of the song for the intro. What really annoys me however are the triples (00:01:179 (8,9,1) - , 00:02:442 (8,9,1) - etc.) at the beginning that are way too overspaced. It'd be less forced to play if you just stack them instead.
  3. Extended sliders (3/4 sliders) are overused / inproperly used in this map. It is fine to a certain extent to give notion to strong or special notes in the track, using too many of them usually results in maps with wonky rhythms that are most of the time unnatural and forced to play:
    1. 00:11:126 (1) - Doesn't emphasize anything specific in the song and thus should be cropped to 1/2. Similar occasions where this happens:
      00:18:705 (1) - 00:21:547 (1) - 00:22:810 (1) - 00:23:442 (4) - 00:24:074 (1) - 00:38:600 (4) - 01:37:968 (1) - etc.
      00:26:600 (1) - The whole slider pattern here at 00:25:968 (1,2,1) - feels weird as well since you weren't focussing on vocals after 00:21:547 - . Make clear what exactly you follow with your rhythm here.
      00:46:179 (1,2,1) - It seemingly follows the vocals, but 00:44:284 (1,1,1) - previous sliders clearly follow the e-guitar, which makes rhythm pretty confusing here. Ending 00:46:179 (1) - on 00:46:652 - instead would make it clearer.
    2. 00:12:547 (1,2) - Feels too forced and would be better if you swap these with only a slider instead. Same goes to:
      00:34:179 (1,2) - 00:46:810 (1,2) -
  4. 00:31:179 (1,2,3) - This feels pretty forced if it's just for the sake of the vocals since those aren't that strong to warrant buzz sliderjumps.
  5. 00:41:600 - There's a lack of differentiation towards the previous section of the music. Song gets less intense, but you're still spacing /positioning objects high, the same way as before.
  6. 00:51:863 - Pretty sad about this since a build-up would've been nice here. Jumping right into a vertical jumps section isn't the greatest idea, ramping up spacing slowly would've been more fitting to the song. In general, try to balance out the difficulty according to different sections of a song.
  7. 00:56:916 (1,2) - Two major problems I see with the kiai time here:
    1. 1. Overdoing sliders. Now I get that sliders are funnier and entertaining to play, but if it doesn't correlate with the song there's no sense in doing so. The 1/4 sliders in particular for the kiai, with 01:15:547 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3) - being a prime example of overdoing patterns. There are others following like 01:27:547 (1,2,1,2) -
    2. 2. Repetition. There's no place for rhythm variation here since you decided to make a big slidertrain here, which doesn't reflect the song well at all. It's seven times the same rhythm in a row starting from 00:58:179 - (8 times actually, 00:56:916 (1,2) - should be a single slider only if i were to follow your current logic), which is pretty bland, don't you think?
  8. 01:51:389 (1,2,3,4,5) - Doesn't follow anything properly and the spacing on the ministream feels really huge.
Sorry if I sound blunt, but this map doesn't look well executed to me at all. Many concepts you used in this map lack proper application which I explained above, and this seems to need more work before being ranked imo. Other peoples opinion's matter ofc, so it might be good to ask around. Anyways, good luck with the set o/
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

Pho wrote:

Hi there Shad0w1and o/ Before seeing this map being pushed through the ranked section, I have some quality concerns about the highest difficulty of this set:

[Ultra]
  1. The map seems like it tries to be special in certain ways, but many parts ended up being either overdone or not well-thought out for the song: :arrow: I do not think so, and I am not trying to be special on mapping, in this map I was trying to present the strong vocal and instruments with various slider shapes. I was also using these sliders to control the flow of the diff, so most point on your mod are already invalid.
  2. 00:00:074 - to 00:08:916 - Starting right at the beginning, the 1/2 singletaps are too much compared to what is actually offered in the song at this point, about 50% of the taps land on weak, barely-emphasized snare sounds (red ticks).
    Keep in mind that the tempo of the song is already pretty high, 1/2 sliders would be more fitting to the intensity of the song for the intro. What really annoys me however are the triples (00:01:179 (8,9,1) - , 00:02:442 (8,9,1) - etc.) at the beginning that are way too overspaced. It'd be less forced to play if you just stack them instead.
    :arrow: It is not over spaced compare to the latter section. In fact, with out HT, this part is the only part I could play and FC. This diff was designed as an Ultra since beginnning, it is expected to be much harder compare to Lami's Extra
  3. Extended sliders (3/4 sliders) are overused / inproperly used in this map. It is fine to a certain extent to give notion to strong or special notes in the track, using too many of them usually results in maps with wonky rhythms that are most of the time unnatural and forced to play:
    1. 00:11:126 (1) - Doesn't emphasize anything specific in the song and thus should be cropped to 1/2. Similar occasions where this happens:
      00:18:705 (1) - 00:21:547 (1) - 00:22:810 (1) - 00:23:442 (4) - 00:24:074 (1) - 00:38:600 (4) - 01:37:968 (1) - etc.
      00:26:600 (1) - The whole slider pattern here at 00:25:968 (1,2,1) - feels weird as well since you weren't focussing on vocals after 00:21:547 - . Make clear what exactly you follow with your rhythm here.
      00:46:179 (1,2,1) - It seemingly follows the vocals, but 00:44:284 (1,1,1) - previous sliders clearly follow the e-guitar, which makes rhythm pretty confusing here. Ending 00:46:179 (1) - on 00:46:652 - instead would make it clearer.
    2. 00:12:547 (1,2) - Feels too forced and would be better if you swap these with only a slider instead. Same goes to:
    :arrow: This point is not valid as I explained at the beginning, you fail to understand my idea for this diff, it is not for people to single tap on these drum beats at the kiai, although I know that will be easier, however, when I design this diff I was trying to keep the constant flow and motion pressure on the player, because the song has a very strong background music, and vocal, by only give 1/2 single tap I think it will be way too mindless to follow the drum beats, which I did in my lower diffs. Yes, when I map a song for 3 times, I will not try to use exactly the same rhythm choice for Hyper/Another/Ultra. Also, because I added strong HS additions on the slider heads, the HS in the tail is not a problem according to the test plays and my self tests with HT
  4. 00:31:179 (1,2,3) - This feels pretty forced if it's just for the sake of the vocals since those aren't that strong to warrant buzz sliderjumps. :arrow: Either way worked, I do not think current got any problems
  5. 00:41:600 - There's a lack of differentiation towards the previous section of the music. Song gets less intense, but you're still spacing /positioning objects high, the same way as before. :arrow: uhmmmm... I can't agree to you.... as I placed the green lines before I started mapping.... Ipersonally feel these two sections got the same intensity....
  6. 00:51:863 - Pretty sad about this since a build-up would've been nice here. Jumping right into a vertical jumps section isn't the greatest idea, ramping up spacing slowly would've been more fitting to the song. In general, try to balance out the difficulty according to different sections of a song. :arrow: again I think either way worked tho xc.... the build up was like since the beginning tho... this whole diff was kinda jumpy, so I think current patterns fit the theme tho .....
    1. 1. Overdoing sliders. Now I get that sliders are funnier and entertaining to play, but if it doesn't correlate with the song there's no sense in doing so. The 1/4 sliders in particular for the kiai, with 01:15:547 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3) - being a prime example of overdoing patterns. There are others following like 01:27:547 (1,2,1,2) -
    2. 2. Repetition. There's no place for rhythm variation here since you decided to make a big slidertrain here, which doesn't reflect the song well at all. It's seven times the same rhythm in a row starting from 00:58:179 - (8 times actually, 00:56:916 (1,2) - should be a single slider only if i were to follow your current logic), which is pretty bland, don't you think?
    :arrow: to me for this song, sadly there is no clear way I could make a diverse rhythm choice. I was very sad about it when I mapped to this part, because the main rhythm itself was not the diverse, as you can see in all of my diffs the kiai was using the repetitive rhythm, I tested very hard and the slider shape thing come to my mind, I spend more than 10 hours to just shape these sliders to make them look good to my aesthetics, also I try to shaped sliders to control the flow so targeted players will be able to catch my"train" as you said.
  8. 01:51:389 (1,2,3,4,5) - Doesn't follow anything properly and the spacing on the ministream feels really huge. :arrow: this one is a commonly used technic to use the stream to overwrite the piano sweeps, because make it a hold for buzz slider will be too easy for this diff and for its strong sound, but do smt like ctb snap it to 1/12 will also be a over kill, therefore current solution is the best for me.
Sorry if I sound blunt, but this map doesn't look well executed to me at all. Many concepts you used in this map lack proper application which I explained above, and this seems to need more work before being ranked imo. Other peoples opinion's matter ofc, so it might be good to ask around. Anyways, good luck with the set o/
I know it is not a creative map to many people's standard, however, my idea was very clear, also I did many test plays and according to the test player they could catch my flow with these "werid" sliders, and that is why I believe this map should be able to get ranked. aesthetics is a very weird term, because I truly believe I made a great flow with sliders, many player agree to me. however, some mappers disagree to my because in the editor it does not look that pretty. My response is: the map is for play, for me it is pretty.
Pho

Shad0w1and wrote:

Pho wrote:

[Ultra]
  1. The map seems like it tries to be special in certain ways, but many parts ended up being either overdone or not well-thought out for the song: :arrow: I do not think so, and I am not trying to be special on mapping, in this map I was trying to present the strong vocal and instruments with various slider shapes. I was also using these sliders to control the flow of the diff, so most point on your mod are already invalid.

Just saying it now since you always raise that point again in your reply: I have no complaints about your aesthetics and slidershapes at all, this one's somewhat subjective anyway. The actual issue is in how you use extended sliders in this map in general. A map flowing and playing well doesn't mean a thing if your rhythm placement doesn't work out with the song. I explained it further below.

:arrow: It is not over spaced compare to the latter section. In fact, with out HT, this part is the only part I could play and FC. This diff was designed as an Ultra since beginnning, it is expected to be much harder compare to Lami's Extra

The issue here is that this part is too motion-intense compared to how quiet this part of the song is. While the singletaps are acceptable for an Extra since you also spaced them fairly low and with DS, the spaced triples are questionable since they add too much tempo in this section and should be stacked or at least lower-spaced to fit the quietness in the intro. Also try not to use Ultra as a high-end difficulty as an excuse to make harder patterns, it's not a valid one and I am more concerned about how your patterns reflect the song than how difficult it is actually to play.
    :arrow: This point is not valid as I explained at the beginning, you fail to understand my idea for this diff, it is not for people to single tap on these drum beats at the kiai, although I know that will be easier, however, when I design this diff I was trying to keep the constant flow and motion pressure on the player, because the song has a very strong background music, and vocal, by only give 1/2 single tap I think it will be way too mindless to follow the drum beats, which I did in my lower diffs. Yes, when I map a song for 3 times, I will not try to use exactly the same rhythm choice for Hyper/Another/Ultra. Also, because I added strong HS additions on the slider heads, the HS in the tail is not a problem according to the test plays and my self tests with HT

Constant flow and motion pressure only makes sense if the song had about the same intensity throughout it's whole length. And this song certainly is not constant, it has ups and downs. The problem lies in how you utilize extended and buzzsliders for Ultra.

Maybe I was too inprecise, so here's a concrete example:
    00:56:916 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - If I were to compare the kiais of Ultra to the ones in your Insane difficulty, the latter are actually fine because it is clear what exactly you want to focus on with the extended sliders - the vocals, since that is also what is the most noticeable layer in this section. Then in Ultra, you decided to make motion-heavy extended slider/ 1/4 sliderjumps with focus on the instruments/e-guitar in the background - which are considerably weaker than the vocal. And you did this for around 50% of the map. This is what I mean when I said some of those patterns are overdone, the background music isn't that intense to make such motion-heavy patterns.

And I already mentioned one of these above at 01:15:547 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3) - , which should be revised again, because focus lies on drums from 01:14:600 - to 01:17:126 - and should be emphasized with circleclicks, so I'm irritated why you suddenly decided to put in 1/4 sliders after 01:15:547 - (starting those at 01:15:863 - makes more sense tbh). Singletapping to drums here might sound like it's a generic thing to do here mapping-wise, and yea it actually is. But it makes more sense in relation to the music instead of putting 1/4 sliders in places where they don't fit.

4. 00:31:179 (1,2,3) - This feels pretty forced if it's just for the sake of the vocals since those aren't that strong to warrant buzz sliderjumps. :arrow: Either way worked, I do not think current got any problems
  5. 00:41:600 - There's a lack of differentiation towards the previous section of the music. Song gets less intense, but you're still spacing /positioning objects high, the same way as before. :arrow: uhmmmm... I can't agree to you.... as I placed the green lines before I started mapping.... Ipersonally feel these two sections got the same intensity....

It's pretty noticeable if you compare the note density of the background instruments of this part to the previous part.
  6. 00:51:863 - Pretty sad about this since a build-up would've been nice here. Jumping right into a vertical jumps section isn't the greatest idea, ramping up spacing slowly would've been more fitting to the song. In general, try to balance out the difficulty according to different sections of a song. :arrow: again I think either way worked tho xc.... the build up was like since the beginning tho... this whole diff was kinda jumpy, so I think current patterns fit the theme tho .....

I mean for 00:51:863 - to 00:55:652 - specifically, since vocals raise up 00:51:863 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - here so you could ramp up the spacing for this pattern.
    :arrow: to me for this song, sadly there is no clear way I could make a diverse rhythm choice. I was very sad about it when I mapped to this part, because the main rhythm itself was not the diverse, as you can see in all of my diffs the kiai was using the repetitive rhythm, I tested very hard and the slider shape thing come to my mind, I spend more than 10 hours to just shape these sliders to make them look good to my aesthetics, also I try to shaped sliders to control the flow so targeted players will be able to catch my"train" as you said.

I suppose the point about repetition isn't that much of an issue, and yes you did the same in the lower difficulties where it actually worked out fine because the rhythms were fine. In Ultra it doesn't work out well as I've already explained above. Again, playability is not the issue here, your rhythm placement is.
  8. 01:51:389 (1,2,3,4,5) - Doesn't follow anything properly and the spacing on the ministream feels really huge. :arrow: this one is a commonly used technic to use the stream to overwrite the piano sweeps, because make it a hold for buzz slider will be too easy for this diff and for its strong sound, but do smt like ctb snap it to 1/12 will also be a over kill, therefore current solution is the best for me.
It is fine if the snapping overwrite isn't too noticeable or the ideal snapping would make it hard to play, but here it certainly is not because the stream doesn't follow a thing in the song. You can go with 1/2 ticks for the drums here, or 3/4 to give notion to the piano sweeps (see Delis' set), but the current rhythm is no great solution.

I know it is not a creative map to many people's standard, however, my idea was very clear, also I did many test plays and according to the test player they could catch my flow with these "werid" sliders, and that is why I believe this map should be able to get ranked. aesthetics is a very weird term, because I truly believe I made a great flow with sliders, many player agree to me. however, some mappers disagree to my because in the editor it does not look that pretty. My response is: the map is for play, for me it is pretty.
I care for the quality of this map more than its rankability, and I still believe you should put a bit more work into this map, but well it's your set in the end. I never raised aesthetics or playability as an issue though, so not sure why you always bring these points up in your arguments. Rhythm placement is the critical issue here, which I still believe makes this set unfitting for rank as of now.
nextplay
Lol why is Kisses Diff Novice instead of Normal because Maps like this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/156235 are useing Novice>Advanced>Exhaust but here it is Novice>Advanced>Hard>Insane
_handholding

nextplay wrote:

Lol why is Kisses Diff Novice instead of Normal because Maps like this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/156235 are useing Novice>Advanced>Exhaust but here it is Novice>Advanced>Hard>Insane
it lacks 1/2 beats so I don't think it's appropriate to call it a normal and novice does fit it with the spread.. kinda
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and
Hard for you does not mean it is hard for everyone. Your most points are about my motion intense designing in general. However, a player cannot play the first part he is already out from the Ultra diff. This diff requires strong aiming and movement ability.
I could not understand your point of up and downs. this song to me only has minor intensity change and I would not agree to your point of change the spacing and sv too much for presenting the "rhythm intensity change". There are songs I would like to do that, but not for this one.
Ok, lastly, your point of my rhythm choice, I think current rhythm is correct, because the usage of the kick sliders is quite consistent throughout the whole diff, I could not see any problem with rhythm placement as you mentioned. I want to explain my idea there: represent all drum beats as a click>then I found the vocal, strings, and everything else is continuing, notes are not good compared to my previous sections. finally, use kick sliders throughout the whole section come to my mind, because I do not want to make the rhythm placement too complex since it actually was not that diverse, mixed rhythm placement is not good to me for this song. so I added additions on every slider head and make the whole section kick sliders. I asked for some player's feedback, my current kiai has a great difficulty and fit my overall motion intense theme. the other mapping like moecho's insane, starr's aguma will break the whole diff's feeling. and that is why there is only kick sliders in the kiai: because: 1, the rhythm is not diverse, 2, other parts of the map are motion intense, there is no way I should make this part too easy, 3, test plays showed its difficulty is actually very good, if a person passed the previous section, he will feel this part has a right difficulty.
Pho
I'm aware of the difficulty of the map, and my points still stand.
There are clear differences in intensity in the track which you can highlight in terms of spacing and rhythm density. And you did care of that in your Another difficulty, just look at 00:41:758 - this section compared to the previous one (you even set bookmarks that logically separates sections from each other), so why you chose to make it all constant on the ultra difficulty is a big question mark for me.
Also, the way you described your kickslider usage is questionable, it sounds like you arbitrarily used kicksliders whenever you see fit. While your rhythms are consistent, the one your measurements in the kiai are based on (00:56:916 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3) - ) doesn't work out well in the Ultra, in contrast to Another and Hyper, due to what I already wrote above. (Speaking of, you seem to dodge giving answer to the specific timestamps I pointed out, oh well)
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

Pho wrote:

I'm aware of the difficulty of the map, and my points still stand.
There are clear differences in intensity in the track which you can highlight in terms of spacing and rhythm density. And you did care of that in your Another difficulty, just look at 00:41:758 - this section compared to the previous one (you even set bookmarks that logically separates sections from each other), so why you chose to make it all constant on the ultra difficulty is a big question mark for me.
Also, the way you described your kickslider usage is questionable, it sounds like you arbitrarily used kicksliders whenever you see fit. While your rhythms are consistent, the one your measurements in the kiai are based on (00:56:916 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3) - ) doesn't work out well in the Ultra, in contrast to Another and Hyper, due to what I already wrote above. (Speaking of, you seem to dodge giving answer to the specific timestamps I pointed out, oh well)
I do not give specific timecode because all your point are arguing my mapping idea in general, how does that not fit in the rhythm, so I explain my mapping idea in general.
ok about this one 00:41:758 - , tbh in Another it's Rizia's idea. at least its his rhythm choice (I arranged the placement). I think it is a fun pattern because it switched to another track which is different from my mapping theory. I respected his rhythm choice. To me it should have the same spacing on patterning according to my theory (as you can see in hyper).
Pho
I will leave the decision to the QAT whether the map should be open for discussion or not. I'll just add one final point for now that I didn't bring up in my previous posts:
01:47:442 - 01:54:705 - The final kiai is is pure 1/2 singletapping jumps with high spacing throughout all objects, with clear lack of differentiation
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and
put all your thoughts in one sentence: overall spacing too huge, too many notes, and too hard...
uhm, I think that is all modern mapping are focusing at on their PP jumpy sections. It is just, my map does not offer pp because of the continuous pressure throughout the whole diff. It will be hard for most players to follow the intense mapping.
However, we already see many FCs and even with HR.
and is this song much less intense than those 7* or 8* jumpy maps? I don't think so.
the only parts you did not mention to my diff was the biggest cross-screen jumps. These days I only map these in ultra diff, partially because I believe if a player can fc those jumps, they must have the skill for the rest of the diff, those who play the TV size for trying their luck for the cross-screen jumps should not be allowed to take these PP.
Battle
I'll add a bit of my opinion on the ultra since Pho already added his

[Ultra]
00:10:652 (3,1) - I don't really see a reason to have this snapped 1/8 here, it heavily increases the precision it takes to hit 1 properly while also making it easier for people to get 100 on the slider because more often than not a player will expect a 1/4 slider not a really awkwardly snapped to a yellow slider
00:13:337 (4,5) - I don't exactly see why you've made this jump abnormally big, all those guitar beats are far stronger than this, this jump seems to exist just to exist
00:14:442 (3,1) - Would have been better if you had used a 1/2 slider instead, having both really isn't practical since 3 is obviously more important (and you've been following the guitar), making a 1/2 slider make much more sense imo
00:16:495 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - This feels more like it breaks up into a 123456 123456 pattern rather than a 1234 1234 1234 pattern, the pitch changes at 00:17:126 (1) - but a much larger pitch change occurs at 00:17:442 (3) - . In addition to this there's not really an increase in intensity happening here, the jumps are consistently around the same spacing while the music is increasing in intensity here
00:21:547 - For this section I feel as if the 3/4 usage is fairly poor, many of the 3/4 go over beats on the red tick, and though it is arguable that these beats are ignorable, this section is filled with consistent 1/2 beats that feel fairly calm compared to the adjacent sections. I feel it's inappropriate to have such a calm section still have a high SV of 1.4x, but I suppose that's subjective as to how fast it feels
00:31:179 (1,2,3) - While I am all for using 1/4 sliders to create fast feeling gameplay to support a "mood" of things being more fast-paced, I don't really see the point in using 1/4 sliders here, the music definitely picks up in intensity here, but not to the point where overmapping 1/4 sliders is appropriate
00:38:600 (4,5) - An extended slider doesn't really make sense here, you're skipping over a vocal beat which you've been following, you may want to stick to your theme of 3/4 sliders but you can't exactly just break away from what you're following, it feels awkwardly inconsistent both to hear and to play
00:50:600 (1,2,1,2,1,2,3,4) - This is another section where the section is definitely increasing in intensity, most notably at 00:51:231 (1,2,3,4) - yet maintains consistent spacing with the rest of this section of small spaced 1/2 stuff

Like Pho, I feel like the 1/4 sliders are overused in the kiai, the song just really doesn't call for something that creates pseudo-intensity as much as these 1/4 sliders do. The part where I felt fit the 1/4 sliders during the kiai was the calmer sections from 01:07:337 - to 01:12:074 - simply because it worked well with the drum hitsounding and keeping the relative intensity of the other parts of the kiai. Other than that there's very little drums to support the 1/4 sliders in the kiai as there's no drums to support them, only vocals, which makes it very awkward to hear and play in my opinion.

01:29:758 (1,2,3,1,2,3) - I would expect this to fit in more of the lines of something like 01:06:231 (3,1,2,3,4,1) - since the vocals are fairly calm here, if not that kind of spacing probably more along the lines of 01:26:600 (1,2,1,2) - but a bit more spaced out of course
01:47:442 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - I also agree that the spacing for here doesn't really follow what the music provides. It does not really follow the stronger beats, making weaker beats (e.g. 01:49:495 (2,3) - ) the same spacing as the stronger beats.

From what I understand, you've mapped purposely with larger spacing to make it more "difficult". While I do not really have a problem with the concept of that itself, it becomes an issue for me when it's mapped solely for the difficulty aspect of it instead of what the song offers. You clearly acknowledge pp mapping and it's existence, yet I don't really see why you purposely follow that trend when you know that it's fairly unreasonable. In an ideal world a map would have great aesthetics and flow and not be generic but it seems like great aesthetics and flow just falls under generic pp mapping majority of the time. While I do appreciate the effort on focusing on flow, I feel like you shouldn't completely ignore aesthetics by using differing slider shapes all the time to break visual consistency just cuz
pishifat
the "continuous pressure" idea isn't a problem. like, there's a lot of maps which use that idea -- some of pho's even do. what pho is concerned with here is that sliderend usage isn't at all supported by the song.

as pho said, using extended sliders is okay when done to show important parts of the music, but overdoing it leads to rhythm which doesn't suit the song to which it's mapped. unless the song calls for this type of continuous pressure concept through constant 1/4 rhythms or something, i don't imagine it'll work out :(

the low contrast spacing stuff at the end is worth talking about too, but the sliderends are a bit more concerning right now

oh and there's battle's post to check too
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and
I cannot agree with these subjective points since none of them actually make Pho's point valid. As I explained none of these points tried to understand my mapping idea. if you would say the major problem is the slider ends, I will argue why you think it is not accepted?
oh, for other people, do not copy the same thing into a mod, I do not care your mapping theory, unless you try to understand mine first and help me to find my mistakes.
Pho
The people here already tried to explain to you what the flaws of your mapping philosophy are, and also why the sliderends are a major problem here; see pishi's answer/battle's final paragraph/my posts regarding that. Mapping to a song means that you work with the song, and not utilize it as a mere tool to put your mapping ideas into a map.

I'm willing to help out with the map if you need it, so feel free to ask me when you find me online.
LMT
Since this is dq'd, consider some of these points for moecho's diff:

1. There are some overmaps that I don't quite understand:
    01:32:205 (5) -
    01:38:837 (2) -
    01:39:468 (2) -
    00:18:942 (7) - especially this one since it gives the impression that this and 00:19:258 (2) - this are the same pattern but the sounds in the song suggest otherwise.
  2. 01:37:810 (3) - not sure what you're emphasising with this 1/4. This would be a 1/4 slider too? 01:38:283 (2) -
  3. 01:38:600 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - compared to 01:41:126 (1,2) - is quite a huge disparity in intensity even tho the sounds are same-ish.
  4. 00:13:495 (4) - probably reconsider 1/4 slider concepts because this kinda undermines places where actual 1/4 exists like 00:15:863 (1,2) -
  5. 01:16:495 (4,5) - also this. Rhythm is like, 1/2 into triple but you make it sound like it's just 1/4 anyway (or 1/2)
  6. 01:18:389 (1,2,1,2,1,2) - same differentiation issue, actually this note 01:18:547 (2) - is overmapped. I can't figure out what you're trying to emphasise with this fancy pattern that happens only once in the map.
  7. 01:22:810 (3) - you overmap here but not 01:24:074 (3) - 01:21:547 (3) -
Also I agree with other ppl on the final diff on the extended sliders in general, felt like it was too overdone and the lack of sliderends to provide feedback kinda messes up with the rhythm overall.
Gl on reranking this btw.
pls no hate just passing by ; ;
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

Pho wrote:

The people here already tried to explain to you what the flaws of your mapping philosophy are, and also why the sliderends are a major problem here; see pishi's answer/battle's final paragraph/my posts regarding that. Mapping to a song means that you work with the song, and not utilize it as a mere tool to put your mapping ideas into a map.

I'm willing to help out with the map if you need it, so feel free to ask me when you find me online.
as I replied b4, I will just copy it. I believe I have explained my rhythm choice very clearly.

I think current rhythm is correct, because the usage of the kick sliders is quite consistent throughout the whole diff, I could not see any problem with rhythm placement as you mentioned. I want to explain my idea there: represent all drum beats as a click>then I found the vocal, strings, and everything else is continuing, notes are not good compared to my previous sections. finally, use kick sliders throughout the whole section come to my mind, because I do not want to make the rhythm placement too complex since it actually was not that diverse, mixed rhythm placement is not good to me for this song. so I added additions on every slider head and make the whole section kick sliders. I asked for some player's feedback, my current kiai has a great difficulty and fit my overall motion intense theme. the other mapping like moecho's insane, starr's aguma will break the whole diff's feeling. and that is why there is only kick sliders in the kiai: because: 1, the rhythm is not diverse, 2, other parts of the map are motion intense, there is no way I should make this part too easy, 3, test plays showed its difficulty is actually very good, if a person passed the previous section, he will feel this part has a right difficulty.
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

LMT wrote:

01:32:205 (5) -
    01:38:837 (2) -
    01:39:468 (2) -
    00:18:942 (7) - especially this one since it gives the impression that this and 00:19:258 (2) - this are the same pattern but the sounds in the song suggest otherwise.
  2. 01:37:810 (3) - not sure what you're emphasising with this 1/4. This would be a 1/4 slider too? 01:38:283 (2) -
  3. 01:38:600 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - compared to 01:41:126 (1,2) - is quite a huge disparity in intensity even tho the sounds are same-ish.
  4. 00:13:495 (4) - probably reconsider 1/4 slider concepts because this kinda undermines places where actual 1/4 exists like 00:15:863 (1,2) -
  5. 01:16:495 (4,5) - also this. Rhythm is like, 1/2 into triple but you make it sound like it's just 1/4 anyway (or 1/2)
  6. 01:18:389 (1,2,1,2,1,2) - same differentiation issue, actually this note 01:18:547 (2) - is overmapped. I can't figure out what you're trying to emphasise with this fancy pattern that happens only once in the map.
  7. 01:22:810 (3) - you overmap here but not 01:24:074 (3) - 01:21:547 (3) -
Gl on reranking this.
I just want to say that players have brains, they should be able to understand the map, not just use their conditional reflex, I will ask Moecho for the reply, but these overlaps were made with great design, if you could try to understand them a bit more that will be awesome.
Kamio Misuzu
good mapu why gaoshi i budong
LMT
I meant overmaps not overlaps ; ;
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

LMT wrote:

I meant overmaps not overlaps ; ;
uhm... overmapping to the background strings when the music is strong is a technic used by many mappers.
^actaully when I wrote this I feel someone will ask me for their names, and when I reply they will say they are all Asian mappers xxxxxx.
Anyways overmap is allowed, ever and forever.
LMT
yeah but my concern is it's not done consistently or it undermines the effect of actual sounds when you overmap. I'm fine with some overmap, but not when it makes the rhythm of the song misleading.
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

LMT wrote:

yeah but my concern is it's not done consistently or it undermines the effect of actual sounds when you overmap. I'm fine with some overmap, but not when it makes the rhythm of the song misleading.
I personally think current it fine, I will get to you when Moecho reply

===============

uhm...to my diff again, I still cannot find any valid reason for me to change it to not go with kick sliders:
literally most of catch the moment maps used extended sliders. what is their excuse? for emphasis the vocal? uhm, nope, to my standard, if that is the point, then I will argue why 00:59:126 - 00:59:442 - 00:59:758 - this three vocal beat should not get the same emphasis? why did other mappers use the extended sliders anyways on certain point? The best explain of my rhythm choice was, I just follow the drum, use kick sliders to highlight the background strings.
like seriously, you guys should try to map it your own and let me oppose to your rhythm choices. this song does not have a diverse kiai rhythm and if you were tring to use 3/4 to highlight certain parts of the vocal will be really hard to keep a consistent idea.
I tried to not use many kick sliders before, but I cannot develop a undefeatable mapping idea, that is why I go with my final kick slider usage.
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and
Moecho
==============

LMT wrote:

01:32:205 (5) - It is intentional to express/prepare for a more intense phase in the song
    01:38:837 (2) - If you listen closely, the "n-" sound actually starts at the blue line, also as I find it fitting more
    01:39:468 (2) - The "s-" sound starts there, and I find it fitting as well
    00:18:942 (7) - especially this one since it gives the impression that this and 00:19:258 (2) - this are the same pattern but the sounds in the song suggest otherwise. Being one of the most intense parts of the song, I find it more fitting than placing a big jump to emphasize, and also what's wrong with 00:19:258 (2) - ?
  2. 01:37:810 (3) - not sure what you're emphasising with this 1/4. This would be a 1/4 slider too? 01:38:283 (2) - They are clearly not exactly the same, as 01:37:810 (3) - being a loud snare, and 01:38:442 (3) - being basically a small guitar note sound
  3. 01:38:600 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - compared to 01:41:126 (1,2) - is quite a huge disparity in intensity even tho the sounds are same-ish. They are clearly not the "same-ish", it's a build up to 01:42:389 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - , also it's a preference of what you want to follow in the song
  4. 00:13:495 (4) - probably reconsider 1/4 slider concepts because this kinda undermines places where actual 1/4 exists like 00:15:863 (1,2) - It's all about what you want to emphasize, I would feel rather empty to have a single note there, and musically speaking it does fit for me
  5. 01:16:495 (4,5) - also this. Rhythm is like, 1/2 into triple but you make it sound like it's just 1/4 anyway (or 1/2) So I guess in this manner I should map out every single beat and sound only in this map, and no more no less? Sorry that my mapping preference isn't same as yours. Music is a feeling, mapping is expressing your feeling for the song, respect that, as well as it's not a major issue here at all, it's just a preference
  6. 01:18:389 (1,2,1,2,1,2) - same differentiation issue, actually this note 01:18:547 (2) - is overmapped. I can't figure out what you're trying to emphasise with this fancy pattern that happens only once in the map. First, according to your logic, 01:18:863 (2) - this would also be a "overmap". Second, I don't know if you enjoy listening songs at 25% and don't hear the music as a whole or not, but every 01:18:389 (1,2) - , 01:18:705 (1,2) - , 01:19:021 (1,2) - here represent a bass pick of 1/2s, and there's really nothing to complain about mapping to the music, it would feel wierd if I skipped one of the notes just to be "not overmapping because it's not quite audible". last, it's not about "figuring" out what a mapper want to do, you simply just feel it or not feel it
  7. 01:22:810 (3) - you overmap here but not 01:24:074 (3) - 01:21:547 (3) - They are in fact not the same, 01:21:705 (4,4) - do you hear any guitar sound on these? And then check the 01:22:968 (4) - , understand now? The kick slider is a way to emphasize an instrument quick switch as well as the required movement distance IS in fact increased even if you just click the heads of kick slider. Kick sliders DOES make the player feel different about how the objects are composed comparing to how it would feel with regular 1/2 circles
pls no hate just passing by ; ;
your passing-by mod here does feel a bit offending, but maybe I interpreted it incorrectly
iYiyo
Okay so I want to give some opinions about the "drama" here.

The map is overall cool to play. The playstyle it gives it's quite unique imo, really challenging tbh.

Idk why people say it "doesn't" follow the music... like... that's why all maps are very similar to each other nowadays xd Every map uses 1/2 all the time cause that's some generic/safe stuff xd Have to say that, however, the map follows good the music in some ways
Imo it could've follow the music a bit better, but still it's good right now. 1/4 sliders are following drum quite well and the 3/4 creates enough variaton + following vocals good so not big worries about that imo.

So... since it's already DQ, I also wanted to give some thoughts about the gameplay itself. Not gonna argue about the style overall cause that's just some subjective sh*t.

ultra (why no custom diffname for such unique playstile¿?)
01:42:389 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1) - Since the map focus on reading and not shitmissing with the sliders, those jumps felt waaaay too high. I'd suggest to do some jumps with similar DS as 00:54:705 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1) -.
01:47:442 - I'm very dissapointed with these jumps tbh.. Like they're pure jump ¿? I was playing the map and then these jumps appeared and I was like.. wut? xD I know you didn't want to do similar pattern like 00:11:442 - cause of the drums... but it'd be nice if you add some slider aswell, cause right now they feel like jumps with no real purpose on the map itself.

Okay so those points were my major problems while playing the map... Hope you can get a look to them!
Imo this is just a different map, but it plays nice and well so all this drama won't really help.

Anyway. GL on re-ranking this! o/
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

iYiyo wrote:

Okay so I want to give some opinions about the "drama" here.

The map is overall cool to play. The playstyle it gives it's quite unique imo, really challenging tbh.

Idk why people say it "doesn't" follow the music... like... that's why all maps are very similar to each other nowadays xd Every map uses 1/2 all the time cause that's some generic/safe stuff xd Have to say that, however, the map follows good the music in some ways
Imo it could've follow the music a bit better, but still it's good right now. 1/4 sliders are following drum quite well and the 3/4 creates enough variaton + following vocals good so not big worries about that imo.

So... since it's already DQ, I also wanted to give some thoughts about the gameplay itself. Not gonna argue about the style overall cause that's just some subjective sh*t.

ultra (why no custom diffname for such unique playstile¿?)
01:42:389 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1) - Since the map focus on reading and not shitmissing with the sliders, those jumps felt waaaay too high. I'd suggest to do some jumps with similar DS as 00:54:705 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1) -.
01:47:442 - I'm very dissapointed with these jumps tbh.. Like they're pure jump ¿? I was playing the map and then these jumps appeared and I was like.. wut? xD I know you didn't want to do similar pattern like 00:11:442 - cause of the drums... but it'd be nice if you add some slider aswell, cause right now they feel like jumps with no real purpose on the map itself.

Okay so those points were my major problems while playing the map... Hope you can get a look to them!
Imo this is just a different map, but it plays nice and well so all this drama won't really help.

Anyway. GL on re-ranking this! o/
Your last two points looks ok for me, but since I have not yet got a clear explanation of why my kick slider usage is not acceptable, I will not change my map until I find a valid DQ reasoning. I might take another look at your point and adjust them slightly if I got a good reason to update my map.

And thank you for your support.
Okoratu
Hey, I think you should take a step back and read what people are actually saying, they are understanding your concept and your ideas, they are pointing out taht in a lot of cases these things go against the song.

The explanations on this thread are pretty detailed as to why this is the case and you are refuting the arguments with something pretty vague among the lines of "you guys don't understand my idea".

I think they do understand the idea you had, but think this could be improved upon because as it stands now you are partly ignoring the song for your idea instead of following it. Something being intentional does not mean automatically it being a good idea.

I think you should take some time and read over the stuff that was said again and attempt to understand what they are actually trying to do: helping you to make your map make more sense to everybody
Monstrata
It's a common misconception that kicksliders (1/4 sliders) = circles in terms of how they play. You click on them, then move onto the next object. However, kicksliders have that extra tail at the end (that you aren't required to play to get a 300 in most cases). Because they have that tail, they create a sort of rushed feeling because of the additional movement you see after you click the head. When you utilize this additional movement on a note that doesn't require that movement, you are in fact accentuating that note already, through visual distinction. Basically you are are demonstrating that even though this particular note "could" have been mapped to a circle, you decided to use a 1/4 slider instead, which makes the note feel more special than a regular circle.

Additionally, because kicksliders operate with that additional slider-track and tail, they are prone to creating flows and movements that otherwise wouldn't be there. Take 00:56:916 (1,2,3) - for example.
However, because of how they are shaped, they create a rotational flow. It's largely visual in terms of the flow, as in you ca probably still play them similar to how they are as circles, and still get 300's, but unlike circles, you can no longer assume everyone will play these patterns exactly how you would have wanted. Flow analysis is easy on circle patterns, but when you introduce sliders, it becomes more complicated due to slider leniency, and people's ability to release early / play the slider to different lengths. Anyways the main point I'm saying is that kickslider usage can actually create a feeling that would otherwise be nonexistent if they were just circles.

Well, anyways, that was basically a summary of my reasoning when I used extended sliders / 1/4 sliders on my Aomine diff of Can Do: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/493273. Imo kicksliders can be mapped in a way to behave very differently from just normal circles, and your map ends up doing so, though I don't believe that was intentional, and even if it was, I don't believe there is good justification for it.
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and
@Pho You cannot convince me any of your points made there. and for the kick slider, I have explained why I use that: drum beats are treated all as a click, then use the slider body to present the string. However, stings are continuing which means it is a nonestop "train" as you said.
however, it is not really nonestop, since the players got brains and they could read the object as 1/2 triplet clicks (also with HS hints). And my design of my map was using the sliders to hint players for the flow change. change the kick sliders to notes will destroy my entire kiai design. from what i heard from players, they got no problems with th kiai, because a good player interprets mappers idea and flow it. once players understand the idea, they will be able to play your map. kick slider as clicks is a rather simple idea so I see no problem with that.
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

Monstrata wrote:

However, because of how they are shaped, they create a rotational flow. It's largely visual in terms of the flow, as in you ca probably still play them similar to how they are as circles, and still get 300's, but unlike circles, you can no longer assume everyone will play these patterns exactly how you would have wanted. Flow analysis is easy on circle patterns, but when you introduce sliders, it becomes more complicated due to slider leniency, and people's ability to release early / play the slider to different lengths. Anyways the main point I'm saying is that kickslider usage can actually create a feeling that would otherwise be nonexistent if they were just circles.
However, the truth is, anyone can play that diff should be able to play that kick slider. the reason I do not want to use notes is because, the notes does not give any pressure on the player, and it break the flow (in my theory, jumps always cut the flow), if I were using the note instead of the kick slider, I will design this completely different style. however, without any reading issue, playability issue, I do not see a point where a neat idea should be considered unrankable.
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and
make objective sense, and not make your sense.
If the idea the clear enough, you should not force me to change because it is more "intuitive to play".
It is making sense already, taking your sunglasses off and play it (before that you have to be able to play it, this diff targeted 6000pp above or even more advanced players). although I could not play it no mod, but test players and HT play tests tell me that it is good to go.
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

Battle wrote:

[Ultra]
00:10:652 (3,1) - I don't really see a reason to have this snapped 1/8 here, it heavily increases the precision it takes to hit 1 properly while also making it easier for people to get 100 on the slider because more often than not a player will expect a 1/4 slider not a really awkwardly snapped to a yellow slider :arrow: it is not a problem because the NC hint and the pattern
00:13:337 (4,5) - I don't exactly see why you've made this jump abnormally big, all those guitar beats are far stronger than this, this jump seems to exist just to exist :arrow: I wish people can stop talking about minor spacing issues, they does not affect the playing experience and also for my style it has nothing to do with my designing.
00:14:442 (3,1) - Would have been better if you had used a 1/2 slider instead, having both really isn't practical since 3 is obviously more important (and you've been following the guitar), making a 1/2 slider make much more sense imo :arrow: actually, to me this only have two solution for ultra: 00:14:600 (1,2,3,4) - all 1/4 kick sliders or 4 notes, and that is it. I think kick sliders will be NG so i go with current.
00:16:495 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - This feels more like it breaks up into a 123456 123456 pattern rather than a 1234 1234 1234 pattern, the pitch changes at 00:17:126 (1) - but a much larger pitch change occurs at 00:17:442 (3) - . In addition to this there's not really an increase in intensity happening here, the jumps are consistently around the same spacing while the music is increasing in intensity here :arrow: uhm... i disagree about this...
00:21:547 - For this section I feel as if the 3/4 usage is fairly poor, many of the 3/4 go over beats on the red tick, and though it is arguable that these beats are ignorable, this section is filled with consistent 1/2 beats that feel fairly calm compared to the adjacent sections. I feel it's inappropriate to have such a calm section still have a high SV of 1.4x, but I suppose that's subjective as to how fast it feels :arrow: if you were mention the beat on 00:21:705 - it is presented as an angle. spacing is fine to the theme.
00:31:179 (1,2,3) - While I am all for using 1/4 sliders to create fast feeling gameplay to support a "mood" of things being more fast-paced, I don't really see the point in using 1/4 sliders here, the music definitely picks up in intensity here, but not to the point where overmapping 1/4 sliders is appropriate :arrow: this has been discussed before and either way worked, I choose to build to the intensity
00:38:600 (4,5) - An extended slider doesn't really make sense here, you're skipping over a vocal beat which you've been following, you may want to stick to your theme of 3/4 sliders but you can't exactly just break away from what you're following, it feels awkwardly inconsistent both to hear and to play :arrow: slider angle can present vocal beat, that is my theory and it make more sense to the music
00:50:600 (1,2,1,2,1,2,3,4) - This is another section where the section is definitely increasing in intensity, most notably at 00:51:231 (1,2,3,4) - yet maintains consistent spacing with the rest of this section of small spaced 1/2 stuff :arrow: it is not like you have to place every note according to its intensity. the space does not work, but not always the best way to present the music.

Like Pho, I feel like the 1/4 sliders are overused in the kiai, the song just really doesn't call for something that creates pseudo-intensity as much as these 1/4 sliders do. The part where I felt fit the 1/4 sliders during the kiai was the calmer sections from 01:07:337 - to 01:12:074 - simply because it worked well with the drum hitsounding and keeping the relative intensity of the other parts of the kiai. Other than that there's very little drums to support the 1/4 sliders in the kiai as there's no drums to support them, only vocals, which makes it very awkward to hear and play in my opinion. :arrow: explained enough in other posts

01:29:758 (1,2,3,1,2,3) - I would expect this to fit in more of the lines of something like 01:06:231 (3,1,2,3,4,1) - since the vocals are fairly calm here, if not that kind of spacing probably more along the lines of 01:26:600 (1,2,1,2) - but a bit more spaced out of course :arrow: drums are stronger here
01:47:442 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - I also agree that the spacing for here doesn't really follow what the music provides. It does not really follow the stronger beats, making weaker beats (e.g. 01:49:495 (2,3) - ) the same spacing as the stronger beats. :arrow: again, spacing is not everything, and over all spacing fits the intensity

From what I understand, you've mapped purposely with larger spacing to make it more "difficult". While I do not really have a problem with the concept of that itself, it becomes an issue for me when it's mapped solely for the difficulty aspect of it instead of what the song offers. You clearly acknowledge pp mapping and it's existence, yet I don't really see why you purposely follow that trend when you know that it's fairly unreasonable. In an ideal world a map would have great aesthetics and flow and not be generic but it seems like great aesthetics and flow just falls under generic pp mapping majority of the time. While I do appreciate the effort on focusing on flow, I feel like you shouldn't completely ignore aesthetics by using differing slider shapes all the time to break visual consistency just cuz
anna apple
to kind of elaborate on what monstrata said about 1/4 sliders giving a rushed feeling:

in terms of how 1/4 sliders play, it does require some amount of holding which 1/2 circles very much do not require. this holding gives tails of the sliders some sense of value and within this map, you use both rhythmic representations of the 1/4 sliders and the 1/2 circles to represent roughly the same sounds in the music. the changes you have between these circles and sliders are curious, because from looking at this maps its as if you felt they have the same value. because this seems to be your approach its almost as if there is really no definition you have created, and thus a lot of people find this map inconsistent, and in terms of using object mechanics correctly, low quality.
Battle
it seems as though we probably won't be reaching an agreement

Shad0w1and wrote:

Battle wrote:

[Ultra]
00:10:652 (3,1) - I don't really see a reason to have this snapped 1/8 here, it heavily increases the precision it takes to hit 1 properly while also making it easier for people to get 100 on the slider because more often than not a player will expect a 1/4 slider not a really awkwardly snapped to a yellow slider :arrow: it is not a problem because the NC hint and the pattern It still presents a problem though, you're justifying a snapping to a non-existant beat as being okay due to there being an NC to make reading easier, the problem is not the readability, it's problem is that it is snapped to nothing right now
00:13:337 (4,5) - I don't exactly see why you've made this jump abnormally big, all those guitar beats are far stronger than this, this jump seems to exist just to exist :arrow: I wish people can stop talking about minor spacing issues, they does not affect the playing experience and also for my style it has nothing to do with my designing.However jump inconsistencies lead to other stronger beats feeling weaker and overall not as impactful due to inferior beats having similar spacing, I don't know if you can completely notice it in HT, but it's fairly noticeable playing at normal speed
00:14:442 (3,1) - Would have been better if you had used a 1/2 slider instead, having both really isn't practical since 3 is obviously more important (and you've been following the guitar), making a 1/2 slider make much more sense imo :arrow: actually, to me this only have two solution for ultra: 00:14:600 (1,2,3,4) - all 1/4 kick sliders or 4 notes, and that is it. I think kick sliders will be NG so i go with current.
00:16:495 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - This feels more like it breaks up into a 123456 123456 pattern rather than a 1234 1234 1234 pattern, the pitch changes at 00:17:126 (1) - but a much larger pitch change occurs at 00:17:442 (3) - . In addition to this there's not really an increase in intensity happening here, the jumps are consistently around the same spacing while the music is increasing in intensity here :arrow: uhm... i disagree about this...How so? The guitar is broken up into that so I don't see why it would be broken up into 1234 blocks
00:21:547 - For this section I feel as if the 3/4 usage is fairly poor, many of the 3/4 go over beats on the red tick, and though it is arguable that these beats are ignorable, this section is filled with consistent 1/2 beats that feel fairly calm compared to the adjacent sections. I feel it's inappropriate to have such a calm section still have a high SV of 1.4x, but I suppose that's subjective as to how fast it feels :arrow: if you were mention the beat on 00:21:705 - it is presented as an angle. spacing is fine to the theme.
00:31:179 (1,2,3) - While I am all for using 1/4 sliders to create fast feeling gameplay to support a "mood" of things being more fast-paced, I don't really see the point in using 1/4 sliders here, the music definitely picks up in intensity here, but not to the point where overmapping 1/4 sliders is appropriate :arrow: this has been discussed before and either way worked, I choose to build to the intensity
00:38:600 (4,5) - An extended slider doesn't really make sense here, you're skipping over a vocal beat which you've been following, you may want to stick to your theme of 3/4 sliders but you can't exactly just break away from what you're following, it feels awkwardly inconsistent both to hear and to play :arrow: slider angle can present vocal beat, that is my theory and it make more sense to the music I'm not exactly all for this but I suppose that works enough, considering how you're still skipping over beats I still don't necessarily agree with it. An angle is much more different than an actual circle or slider end or start, the latter actually produces a sound that gives proper feedback to the player while the earlier option does not
00:50:600 (1,2,1,2,1,2,3,4) - This is another section where the section is definitely increasing in intensity, most notably at 00:51:231 (1,2,3,4) - yet maintains consistent spacing with the rest of this section of small spaced 1/2 stuff :arrow: it is not like you have to place every note according to its intensity. the space does not work, but not always the best way to present the music. You do not have to make every note according to its intensity. That much is clear, however you shouldn't compromise intensity to spacing consistency too often for the sake of overriding them with patterns, as a player it makes much more sense to have appropriate jumps mapped to the stronger sounds while the weaker sounds are mapped to smaller jumps. It's the sort of small details that go into mapping that need to be accounted for

Like Pho, I feel like the 1/4 sliders are overused in the kiai, the song just really doesn't call for something that creates pseudo-intensity as much as these 1/4 sliders do. The part where I felt fit the 1/4 sliders during the kiai was the calmer sections from 01:07:337 - to 01:12:074 - simply because it worked well with the drum hitsounding and keeping the relative intensity of the other parts of the kiai. Other than that there's very little drums to support the 1/4 sliders in the kiai as there's no drums to support them, only vocals, which makes it very awkward to hear and play in my opinion. :arrow: explained enough in other posts I still disagree with these. The matter of why it was DQ'd in the first place is that vocals simply cannot support the rhythm that you're doing. Overmapping has proven to be effective in the past yes, but the types of songs that it HAS worked in is heavily differ from this song. This song is, like many anime songs, fairly simple in it's rhythm structure. While it's okay to add a few overmaps every now and then accompanied by proper hitsounds to add a bit more to the music to make sure it's fairly monotonous. However, the way this is overmapped, stressing consistency over relevance makes the overmapping oppressive and unfitting

01:29:758 (1,2,3,1,2,3) - I would expect this to fit in more of the lines of something like 01:06:231 (3,1,2,3,4,1) - since the vocals are fairly calm here, if not that kind of spacing probably more along the lines of 01:26:600 (1,2,1,2) - but a bit more spaced out of course :arrow: drums are stronger here
01:47:442 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - I also agree that the spacing for here doesn't really follow what the music provides. It does not really follow the stronger beats, making weaker beats (e.g. 01:49:495 (2,3) - ) the same spacing as the stronger beats. :arrow: again, spacing is not everything, and over all spacing fits the intensity And again, spacing should be attempting to fit the intensity of the song, the overall spacing fits the intensity because it's all strong, yet it does not take into account the gradual increase of intensity here, making all the jumps feel like you're just repeating the same motion over and over until the map eventually ends

Green meant I felt decently fine with the explanations, therefore there is no reason to continue the discussion for those points
Xinnoh

Shad0w1and wrote:

Battle wrote:

[Ultra]
00:10:652 (3,1) - I don't really see a reason to have this snapped 1/8 here, it heavily increases the precision it takes to hit 1 properly while also making it easier for people to get 100 on the slider because more often than not a player will expect a 1/4 slider not a really awkwardly snapped to a yellow slider :arrow: it is not a problem because the NC hint and the pattern
The NC thing might be a reason to justify, except you're NCing anywhere and everywhere possible to emphasise anything. There's no reason why it should be read as a 1/8 'because NC' when the whole diff NCs in uncommon parts to emphasise stuff without 1/8s.
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

bor wrote:

to kind of elaborate on what monstrata said about 1/4 sliders giving a rushed feeling:

in terms of how 1/4 sliders play, it does require some amount of holding which 1/2 circles very much do not require. this holding gives tails of the sliders some sense of value and within this map, you use both rhythmic representations of the 1/4 sliders and the 1/2 circles to represent roughly the same sounds in the music. the changes you have between these circles and sliders are curious, because from looking at this maps its as if you felt they have the same value. because this seems to be your approach its almost as if there is really no definition you have created, and thus a lot of people find this map inconsistent, and in terms of using object mechanics correctly, low quality.
the questions is, it is not that a problem for anyone who can play this diff well. and I am saying the change from the kick sliders to notes will destroy my entire kiai design. however, there are also many people see no problem with my rhythm choice. If you got your theory, I got my theory and people who support me, I hope you can at least stay away from the set instead of forcing me to change smt that is not a real problem.
it is like: oh why can this guy rank a map that sets to CS7? oh why can this guy rank a map that has only horizontal sliders? oh why can this guy rank a map that only has circles? oh why can this guy rank a 8* map that many people can't FC?
please, when the objective idea was clear, it is player's job to deal with it. if it has a neat design, clear objective, and rankable, why would you even come to bother it?
you are asking me to remap the entire kiai section which plays very well. many test players see no problems about the kiai kick sliders. I could not even imagine why would people doubt about this. the rhythm decision was so simple and clear.
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

Sinnoh wrote:

The NC thing might be a reason to justify, except you're NCing anywhere and everywhere possible to emphasize anything. There's no reason why it should be read as a 1/8 'because NC' when the whole diff NCs in uncommon parts to emphasize stuff without 1/8s.
??? why? it does not make any difference to snap it to 1/4 or 1/8. because players at this speed can only read the slider head, the spacing is also good for the pattern to be understood. always remember that other than the spacing, the clickable distance is even more important for the top players.
reply the rest later some day
and again and again, slider end does not need to be snapped to a beat every time
Battle
Well yes, objectively your map is fine because it fills out the requirement of being mapped to beats and being timed well. The other parts of it such as mapping to beats that are not present with overmapping not entirely supported by the song as well as spacing emphasis are somewhat subjective but it seems to be entering more of the realm of intersubjectivity. If it has an objective, a design and is rankable, then in some sense in a world that isn't regulated by anyone yes no one would touch it. However this game is run by a system of people who approve of beatmaps before sending them off to be ranked. Because of that fact, yes people come to bother because yes people are considered about the quality of it.

I, and as I suppose other mappers and modders, try to stay within the realm they are comfortable modding or mapping, maps such as CS7 or other unconventional concepts are more likely for extremely experience individuals to give their input on the matter. There's a difference between a player stating that it is good and a modder stating that it is good. For one, the player is much more lenient in what they consider as acceptable, being accustomed to any type of movement at any given moment in any given instance. A modder however, will look more at the micro level things such as proper rhythm accentuation and whether or not the map is relevant to the song. You should strive to achieve the approval of both modders and players ideally, however that is not always attainable 100%, thus you should strive to gain a middle ground between the two, not just dismiss modders of because a player states that it players fine because anything can play fine to an experienced player
show more