forum

[Archived] How to take mapped notes and move them into a new beatmap?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
edoreen
Problem Details:
I wanted to map a song, and (like an idiot) instead of uploading an mp3, I found a random (unranked/unqualified) beatmap with that song and completely scrapped everything and started over. the only thing I kept was the bpm and the song title/artist. can someone please tell me how to make this beatmap "mine" or at least move it to another blank mp3 so all my work isn't lost??

p.s. sorry for being an idiot and thanks for anyone able to help me

osu! version: 20170103.2 (latest)
Starrodkirby86
Do you still have the original .osu file that was not on your map?

If the timing and things like that are pretty identical, you can probably just copy and paste that .osu file into your own map, then open that file in Notepad and edit the Metadata to match that of your own personal map.

Particularly of note is to the edit the Creator field so that it's your name (alongside the filename as well).

I'm not exactly sure if this answered your question though. When I'm reading your question, I feel like it sounds like you lost a file or something, "completely scrapping everything". :<
Topic Starter
edoreen

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Do you still have the original .osu file that was not on your map?

If the timing and things like that are pretty identical, you can probably just copy and paste that .osu file into your own map, then open that file in Notepad and edit the Metadata to match that of your own personal map.

Particularly of note is to the edit the Creator field so that it's your name (alongside the filename as well).

I'm not exactly sure if this answered your question though. When I'm reading your question, I feel like it sounds like you lost a file or something, "completely scrapping everything". :<
No you answered my question thank you!when I said I scrapped everything I just meant all the difficulty, design, deleted all the notes and mapped new ones and stuff like that, nothing with the files. Also can you explain the process a little more in detail, I am pretty new when it comes to navigating osu files.
Starrodkirby86
Sure, so let's open your Song Folder for your beatmap, right? You can do that by going to the Editor, then on File, select Open Beatmap Folder or whatever.

So say you have this situation now, as the original, old map:

Now you have a new edoreen map that's your own, but only has the mp3 and maybe some dummy .osu difficulty that's blank so far, say that's in a folder titled, "edoreen_new_map", whereas the old map's folder is "530173 Nekomata Master - Greening".

Copy the [My Custom Difficulty] file into the "edoreen_new_map" folder, then rename the (Lulu-) part to edoreen.

Then make the following changes:

You should note that you're free to add different tags and your own custom background image and all that, but for the sake of you trying out mapping and experimenting, have fun.
Topic Starter
edoreen

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Sure, so let's open your Song Folder for your beatmap, right? You can do that by going to the Editor, then on File, select Open Beatmap Folder or whatever.

So say you have this situation now, as the original, old map:

Now you have a new edoreen map that's your own, but only has the mp3 and maybe some dummy .osu difficulty that's blank so far, say that's in a folder titled, "edoreen_new_map", whereas the old map's folder is "530173 Nekomata Master - Greening".

Copy the [My Custom Difficulty] file into the "edoreen_new_map" folder, then rename the (Lulu-) part to edoreen.

Then make the following changes:

You should note that you're free to add different tags and your own custom background image and all that, but for the sake of you trying out mapping and experimenting, have fun.
You are amazing, thank you so much :D