forum

The best way to play the game

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bweh

All you have to do is PM me your credit card information.
Catch the Beat, Taiko, and mania user need not apply.
Blitzfrog
How come when I post stuff like this, I get silenced
Topic Starter
Bweh
It's cool when I do it
Blitzfrog
4376 8263 1849 8277

08/03/2019

Nicholas Stanley

Ok give me one thanks
abraker

Brian OA wrote:

mania user here. What do I get?
Topic Starter
Bweh

Blitzfrog wrote:

4376 8263 1849 8277

08/03/2019

Nicholas Stanley

Ok give me one thanks
Follow instructions you dip

abraker wrote:

Brian OA wrote:

Nothing
Stefan
wow, tablet-chan is cute

Blitzfrog wrote:

How come when I post stuff like this, I get silenced
this is a pure lie and you know that. (´・ω ・`)
Blitzfrog

Stefan wrote:

this is a pure lie and you know that. (´・ω ・`)
You got me
abraker

Brian OA wrote:

abraker wrote:

Nothing
Thank you. I will cherish your gift of nothing until I die
Rwyta
Why Tablet-chan is so far away?

and why is she not naked?
GSG95

Allmynamestaken wrote:

and why is she not naked?
perhaps the most important question of all
winber1
its part of the dlc package
Erlkonig
tablet-chan looks terrified
WavePoint
No words. No regrets.
thelewa
"“Play More” or "Keep Playing" is an extremely vague quote that doesn't help any player specifically."

Verily so, the only advice that's actually helpful is "try thinking for yourself". If you are incapable of doing that much, you are incapable of improving.

osu! is a great test of intelligence. Anyone incapable of getting good at it is an idiot. I'm not saying that the ones that are good at clicking circles or playing other games are especially smart or anything, but at least they're capable of figuring things out for themselves. They're not idiots.
picky picky_old

thelewa wrote:

"“Play More” or "Keep Playing" is an extremely vague quote that doesn't help any player specifically."

Verily so, the only advice that's actually helpful is "try thinking for yourself". If you are incapable of doing that much, you are incapable of improving.

osu! is a great test of intelligence. Anyone incapable of getting good at it is an idiot. I'm not saying that the ones that are good at clicking circles or playing other games are especially smart or anything, but at least they're capable of figuring things out for themselves.
stop
thelewa
what part did you disagree with?
Blitzfrog

thelewa wrote:

what part did you disagree with?
Fastest way to learn is by getting taught
thelewa
Not in osu!. How is someone going to teach you how to properly move the pen or the mouse in a way optimal to the way your hand is? How is someone going to teach you to make new nerve connections allowing for faster movement of fingers? How is someone going to teach you to process the visual information received? These are all things that you cannot receive help with. They're things you have to figure out for yourself.
Blitzfrog

thelewa wrote:

Not in osu!. How is someone going to teach you how to properly move the pen or the mouse in a way optimal to the way your hand is? How is someone going to teach you to make new nerve connections allowing for faster movement of fingers? How is someone going to teach you to process the visual information received? These are all things that you cannot receive help with. They're things you have to figure out for yourself.

ye olde OT
Foxtrot

thelewa wrote:

It takes repitition to acquire those motor skills, because that's what they are at the end of the day. I don't think it requires logic. So no, the "play more" advice is not too vague in my opinion. For example, you could know anything about the piano, right? But if you never sit down and nurture your motor skills, you'd be a horrible player. An idiot could sit down and do the same thing every day, but that doesn't mean they'll actually learn the technical side of clicking circles (if there even is one. I am not an expert on this and I haven't even played the game in a while.)
Blitzfrog

Foxtrot wrote:

It takes repitition to acquire those motor skills, because that's what they are at the end of the day. I don't think it requires logic. So no, the "play more" advice is not too vague in my opinion. For example, you could know anything about the piano, right? But if you never sit down and nurture your motor skills, you'd be a horrible player. An idiot could sit down and do the same thing every day, but that doesn't mean they'll actually learn the technical side of clicking circles (if there even is one. I am not an expert on this and I haven't even played the game in a while.)
Because piano teachers are useless people
Foxtrot
Do piano teachers literally grab your hands and make you play the piano? No, they teach you about the technicality of the instrument so you can read the notes and know which key to press. But if you gain all that knowledge and don't practice it, it's pretty much useless

Didn't you claim to be logical, Blitz? I'm surprised to see such a reaction out of you
thelewa
You still have to be present and guide your developing motor skills. You can get better at doing the wrong thing just as easily as you can get better at doing the right thing.
Foxtrot
But since we're specifically talking about osu!, how stupid do you have to be to not comprehend that you're supposed to click the circles at the rhythm of the song? You're just a vegetable at that point. Bad osu! players do realize what they must do, but they fail because their motor skills are not as refined as someone who has been playing for months. I've never seen anybody play osu! in the "wrong way" and that's because it'd completely impossible for you to play the game in a different way than it was originally meant.
Blitzfrog

Foxtrot wrote:

Didn't you claim to be logical, Blitz? I'm surprised to see such a reaction out of you
Who said I'm logical, I'm Blitzfrog
thelewa

Foxtrot wrote:

But since we're specifically talking about osu!, how stupid do you have to be to not comprehend that you're supposed to click the circles at the rhythm of the song? You're just a vegetable at that point. Bad osu! players do realize what they must do, but they fail because their motor skills are not as refined as someone who has been playing for months. I've never seen anybody play osu! in the "wrong way" and that's because it'd completely impossible for you to play the game in a different way than it was originally meant.
You'd have to be an idiot

The repetition you do in playing osu! will also have varying degrees of effectiveness when it comes to improvement and it all comes down to what you, as the player, are doing while playing the game. If you're playing the game absent mindedly just thinking that the more playcount you accumulate the better you will become, you're in for a disappointment. While the gameplay itself is very simple, getting better at it is something that requires effort other than just playing the game. You have to be constantly paying attention to how you play the game, while constantly figuring out new ways to do the simple movements required better, more efficiently.

It doesn't necessarily require logic, but it does require a kind of self-discipline. The capacity to pay attention and the will to put in some effort without just pretending and crying to the good players about you not getting any better despite how much you've been pretending. Intelligence isn't just logic. It's the ability to properly utilize every faculty you have at hand. What good is sharp wit if you lack self-discipline and the ability to focus? Nowadays it seems to be a common belief that if you can't pay attention, there's nothing to be done about it other than taking some ADHD medication.

Edit: Oh, and to not cause any confusion: I strongly believe that anyone can easily get to my level at this game in way less time than what it took me. Talent doesn't exist in this game. The people who are good at this game are good at this because they're good at getting good at things. Which is something anyone can learn.
Blitzfrog
This drama for me has thelewa as the main character and Foxtrot as the bad dragon
thelewa
Foxtrot raises valid points and his insight is highly appreciated.

What drama?
Blitzfrog

thelewa wrote:

What drama?
The crimson knight and the flying dragon
Topic Starter
Bweh
The best advice I would offer would be to have fun
show more