Not getting better at streams for months

posted
Total Posts
13
Topic Starter
Jcal
Sry there's probably been a thousand and a half threads about this

But basically for the past 3 months or so I have just not been improving at all despite playing ~1-2 hours a day and playing lots of stream/burst maps and harder maps I can't clear. My ranking graph on my profile shows this pretty clearly. Almost all the pp I have got over the last 3 months is just me improving acc on maps I can already FC, I have not FC'd anything new for ages. And also my streaming is still very inconsistent and I max out at like 170bpm even though I have been trying to play ~200bpm maps for months now
It's just getting really frustrating and idk what I am doing wrong (if anything) because I'm just not getting anywhere.
3bdallah
hey thats me :(
Sandy Hoey
If you are playing songs that are way above your skill level, of course you aren't improving. You dont gain anything when you have no idea what is happening. The best place to improve, in my opinion, is where you can succeed with a challenge. In terms of score, I would say that is equivalent to an A or a B. This pushes you out of your comfort zone, but is still at a level where it is comprehensible.
Agrrox
this game is about pushing your confort zone by small steps over long time. its like exercise in gym where you cant simply start do hard stuff first. small steps at a time... guess what progress takes time and this depends on motivation talent and commitment,

maybe your hand need to adjust over months to be able do that streams, or itsm your mental stamina or bad technique that holds you back.

or take a break from a game, your head is doing same mistake over again probably... i cant even say how much random breaks from this crazy game made me progress. let your hand, eyes and mind recover.

last thing is fun factor... like if i am having fun while practicing i am doing much better than playing stuff that i dont like just for sake only improving...
so make sure you are also having some fun
I Give Up
1~2 hrs a day that's my average too.

Playing more is good for progress and you seem to have that down already. What you need to do now is really think carefully about your play style and figure out why you do so well on certain maps yet find other similar maps extremely difficult. As a stream player I can help you out with a few tips but you have to make the effort.

- Single tap accuracy. This determines your max accuracy for streams. Really streaming is very hard on accuracy so if you single tap 80 UR then you're stream acc will be around 120 UR that is normal for beginner.

- Single tap speed. This should also be your bpm ceiling for how fast you stream. Note if you wrist tap, then you will never hit that ceiling unless you can wrist stream like WWW.

- Tapping force. Buttons require very little force to actuate, about ~60 grams average. Yet most players slam their buttons probably twenty times higher than that. If you can tap softly then it will save you so much stamina and you will never get RSI.
*tip: Open a text document then "stream" tap zx (or in my case xc) as softly as you can start slow then get faster and you will see if you're not pressing hard enough when you see which letter is missing. Repeat this 2 minute exercise for the next couple week after you've warmed up to let your muscle memory set in permanently, this will save you so much time rather than just grind more. This also gives you visual progress of how further you can stream each time without breaking.

- Warm up. Warming up doesn't take 2 years like some players recommend. It should take 5 or so minutes and that will stretch your tapping hand for the rest of the day. The trick is to play a regular map, but tap hard. Gradually start tapping soft, and you'll know you've warmed up when your buttons feel really light.

Honestly there's a gazillion tips and tricks to improve streaming but I'm gonna stop the post here, just reply if you need more help.
-Makishima S-
Not playing much but from my experience - warm up your fingers first before you start to play maps with streams. We are not pro players who have this in blood already and can affort to play deathstream compilation for warmup.

And play maps on your level, from 4* up there are maps with streams and it is for a solid reason why maps start to show bursts first and end up on high star as deathstreams.

Just don't give up and for sure - don't force your hands over pain, you may end up like "we" - with hand problem and partially unable to play.
NixXSkate
1- Do not practice by starting all streams that are too fast early, start all streams on time and try to end them on time.

2- Use your wrist. Not everyone can do well streaming from individual fingers, me included. Some people actually learn this naturally or some kind of hybrid, but it doesn't always happen. If you can't force your fingers to move faster, you have to use the wrist. Some
Examples of wrist streaming:
WubWoofWolf:
https://youtu.be/YLZcCFg0yks?t=1m3s
This is a very tight way of streaming with wrist, notice the whole hand rocking back and forth like a seesaw. Learning it like this is a good way to adapt to the method.

sayonara-bye:
https://youtu.be/mG_L7jyuiX0?t=34s
It's a bit hard to see from this angle, but you can tell by the way his thumb is moving with his index finger that he's using his wrist while streaming, which allows him to transfer his really good singletap speed into his streaming.

3- Work on improving your singletap speed as well.
chainpullz
2 hours a day for 3 months is 180 hours. Your profile says you've played 220 hours of ranked maps over 9 months. :?:?:?
E m i
1. unlock stamina limit
https://puu.sh/tcGiW/7cfb7383ef.osz

205 ht for 3000 notes, 210 ht for 3000 notes, 215 ht for 3000 notes, 220 ht for 3000 notes, 220 ht for (3000+ and this varies) notes'
adjust bpm+length accordingly depending on when you start locking up (above 170 i will eventually lock up every few hundred notes so i don't bother with that)

the logic behind this is to just get a burn, physical exhaustion resulting with dull pain in the forearm resulting with increased blood flow to the extensor digitorum muscle and whatever else matters

then you temporarily become stronker

then you can use that raw strength to play actual maps, ascension to heaven or whatever
MEK

Momiji wrote:

1. unlock stamina limit
https://puu.sh/tcGiW/7cfb7383ef.osz

205 ht for 3000 notes, 210 ht for 3000 notes, 215 ht for 3000 notes, 220 ht for 3000 notes, 220 ht for (3000+ and this varies) notes'
adjust bpm+length accordingly depending on when you start locking up (above 170 i will eventually lock up every few hundred notes so i don't bother with that)

the logic behind this is to just get a burn, physical exhaustion resulting with dull pain in the forearm resulting with increased blood flow to the extensor digitorum muscle and whatever else matters

then you temporarily become stronker

then you can use that raw strength to play actual maps, ascension to heaven or whatever
cool thx for tip
Topic Starter
Jcal

chainpullz wrote:

2 hours a day for 3 months is 180 hours. Your profile says you've played 220 hours of ranked maps over 9 months. :?:?:?
I said 1-2 hours, and by every day I meant most days since I can't actually play every single day. And also I've been on break for uni for a while so I have had more time to play recently than the rest of the year so it's probably more like 90-100 hours :P

KukiMonster wrote:

- Single tap speed. This should also be your bpm ceiling for how fast you stream. Note if you wrist tap, then you will never hit that ceiling unless you can wrist stream like WWW.
I can single tap up to around 220-230bpm consistently, and up to about 250bpm for a short time before I slow down again.. so yeah that's not an issue I think.

But yeah anyways ok thanks everyone for the advice I guess. I have been playing ~4.7* for a while now with little to no difficulty, just finding it really hard to get past it. I can also play some of the more jump intensive 5* maps pretty well, just can't FC cos cbf sitting there restarting every time I miss a full screen jump because there are way too many in a map to bother and restarting a map every 30 seconds is not super fun (I try sometimes).
E m i

MEK wrote:

Momiji wrote:

1. unlock stamina limit
https://puu.sh/tcGiW/7cfb7383ef.osz

205 ht for 3000 notes, 210 ht for 3000 notes, 215 ht for 3000 notes, 220 ht for 3000 notes, 220 ht for (3000+ and this varies) notes'
adjust bpm+length accordingly depending on when you start locking up (above 170 i will eventually lock up every few hundred notes so i don't bother with that)

the logic behind this is to just get a burn, physical exhaustion resulting with dull pain in the forearm resulting with increased blood flow to the extensor digitorum muscle and whatever else matters

then you temporarily become stronker

then you can use that raw strength to play actual maps, ascension to heaven or whatever
cool thx for tip
XD
Nattsun
You shouldn't play 200BPM burststreammaps if you can't stream 170BPM properly.

If you comfort zone is let's say 170BPM, learn to stream long 170BPM streams, like ~30 notes (should be long for you) without 100s or 50s. If you can do it play 180BPM streammaps until you can do the same. Always add 10BPM.

Improving streamspeed takes forever. This is just my expierience, but you won't see improvement over night, especially when it comes to streaming. I practice streaming every second day, always with a routine and some maps that are slightly above my skill level, like 5 BPM faster than my comfort zone. Guess what, I barely see improvement, but it is there, it just takes really long.
Please sign in to reply.

New reply