forum

Difference between sensitivity and area mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
zeno61
I'm using an Intuos small and have been mostly at around 2.6 sensitivity when I play and able to at least play on 5* maps at most. So recently, since I use the same computer with my sibling that uses a mouse at 1 sensitivity, I experimented on dropping my sensitivity to 1 and lowered the tablet area mapping randomly. Movement was smoother but my coordination with my tapping hand dropped a bit. I just need a bit more time to adjust.

But while we're at it, I'm looking for tips on a good tablet area or just a good ratio on size as reference while everything is still at experimental phase.

btw the resolution I'm using while playing is 1024x768 fullscreen

Edit: Also, what is the real difference between sensitivity and tablet area? They both make the play area smaller from what I can notice. (Got side tracked up there)
rekhichem
you should let the sensitivity at x1 and change the tablet area instead , and about the tablet zone , use what your feel comfortable with, but I do not recommend you to use a small area, you should use a middle/large or even full zone so that you can have a better control over your cursor mouvements , smaller zone means shaky cursor :s
Topic Starter
zeno61
I understand the control aspects of a larger tablet area but I prefer using a small area since I can have better reach and my movement is faster with it. The problem is though, I'm just making guesses for tablet area right now and would really appreciate some references. Thanks for the input.
Royce551
Experiment with different areas (But dont change it too often, it screws you up!). Generally you want one where you are accurate (you dont overshoot) but you can still move your cursor across the screen without too much effort (for the jumps).
TakuMii

zeno61 wrote:

I understand the control aspects of a larger tablet area but I prefer using a small area since I can have better reach and my movement is faster with it. The problem is though, I'm just making guesses for tablet area right now and would really appreciate some references. Thanks for the input.

If your reach is restricting you from moving to a larger area, I think that says more about your pen grip than it does about your ability to move fast. Although I wouldn't really recommend going full area, you should definitely aim to have an area bigger than what you already have. (just make sure to keep "Force Proportions" turned on so that your area matches your screen)

To answer your sensitivity vs tablet area question though: "Tablet area" changes your tablet area in your drivers, while "sensitivity" makes the game shrink your driver's tablet area depending on what you have it set to in-game. Honestly, I'd avoid changing your sensitivity from 1.00x since it adds an extra layer of processing (aka it can potentially add a bit of input lag), and there's no point in using it since you can achieve the same settings using the drivers alone anyways.