forum

AIBat v3.1 - v10 Compatibility

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
akrolsmir
Ok I should really work on this shouldn't I. (I've been getting into website and Android programming since I got my first smartphone)

I'm probably going to just push out 1.1 without any earth-shattering updates in the near future, just a lot of bugfixes, then work on the more interesting stuff like difficulty settings and .osu comparator.

@BusterBlazeFox- I could but I probably won't- I distinctly recall peppy asking someone else to take down a similar app.

@Sallad4ever- I've thought about it before, and it's an interesting problem, by which I mean the solution (code implementation) isn't immediately obvious to me. I'll keep thinking. Once I get it I could apply the same thing to other inconsistencies, such as color and tags, too.
BeatofIke
This AIBat really has potental. Keep it up.
ziin
It's good to have potental.

Apparently AIBat doesn't like underscores. Fix plz.
Flanster
Points out stuff very nicely I'll use it more often :)
Topic Starter
akrolsmir
Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

ziin wrote:

Apparently AIBat doesn't like underscores. Fix plz.
Hm... I can't seem to find it. Do you happen to have a test file?

Also, thanks to Aleks719 for reporting a bug (kind of related to this). It seems to be a rather rare problem, but I'll see if I can hack out a solution.
peppy
https://github.com/peppy/osu-sdk

can we work together and make this happen? still wip, but it'd be cool if you could contact me on irc at some point so we can go through what you need.
Topic Starter
akrolsmir
This time it was mostly user interface upgrades, but it's prettier and more usable now, IMO. Also, I've implemented a kind of update checker- it should work in theory. We'll see how well when I push out the next release.

ModTrace, the system to track mods and format them for forum use, is coming along well- I've got file copying and diff'ing mostly complete, now just working on logic. Besides that, I'm running low on things to do for AIBat (which is good!) As soon as peppy opens up enough functionality in osu-sdk for me to get AIBat working, I'll (hopefully) be working to improve the native AiMod!

Feedback and suggestions are, as always, welcome!
peppy
I'd also be interested to know if you could use one of the java->.net compiler bridges to get your stuff working more natively with minimal effort. I think it'd definitely be worth looking into just to see if it is a feasible option.
theowest
This just made my day. Awesome work!
HakuNoKaemi
Skin elements can't exceed the template dimensions, hitburst too ( it says "hitburst must be exactly" )
The comboburst limit is actually width, height is fine at 800

The Spinner rule was upgraded, now the minium is 1000 on Auto, but the next note shouldn't start fading in before the spinner start

Add an option that make you choose what to make the AIBat say

Make AIBat autocorrect something at the user command

The folder browser is so... bad... the usual double click don't work usually
ziin
max height is 768. Nothing in the skin should ever be larger than 1024x768.
Miya
wow, i didn't notice the new GUI. Great job akrolsmir :D

Btw, when i first see the explore button and want press it, i'm surprise that it explore ai bat parent folder, not osu song folder. I place AIBat not in the osu folder but in the desktop. It would be nice if the explore button directly explore the osu song folder not the AIBat folder >.<

Ah yes, i found a bug too. But i don't know if it's a bug or not. But is it right?

I just continue press ctrl+f but the AIBat keeps open the new tab for search. I think it's not necesary.
Flanster
About the storyboard ones : NOT JPG.
Does it really need pointing out?
JPG is used because it makes beatmap size smaller.
Topic Starter
akrolsmir
Hm. I was under the impression that certain files were supposed to be .png for quality purposes or whatnot. Is this true, or should I just take out the "Not PNG" check altogether?
Ekaru

akrolsmir wrote:

Hm. I was under the impression that certain files were supposed to be .png for quality purposes or whatnot. Is this true, or should I just take out the "Not PNG" check altogether?
PNG is highly, highly recommended, yes. It's not a requirement, though, but it's still recommended. I would just keep the check in there as a reminder.
those
Storyboard artists should know whether to use .png or .jpg.
In addition, rephrase the spinner new combo clause.
HakuNoKaemi
make it size-dependant? usually, png are likely to be images with transparence, and jpg are larger images

like those said, the spinner max limit is 1000 now, and you should say "check if the elements after appear before the spinner start", though usually it won't happen
Tshemmp
those was actually referrering to new combos on and after spinners. They are not neccessary: t/86514.
Topic Starter
akrolsmir
Hm. For rewording, how about:
Put a new combo on this note so the previous spinner ends properly. -> Consider starting a new combo here, since this note follows a spinner.
This spinner lacks a new combo. -> Consider starting a new combo on this spinner.
ziin
WHEN TO USE PNG:
  1. If your image has transparency/alpha channel
  2. If your image is simple/has large areas of the same or similar color
  3. If your image needs to be lossless, or when a jpg is noticeably worse quality
WHEN TO USE JPG:
  1. If your image is very large (640x480 or larger)
  2. If your image is a photograph/real life image
  3. If the image is extremely complex and png generates a very large file size
Also note:
You can rename jpg files to png files so that osu will actually read them (if you're skinning out spinner background or pause overlay, both of which are perfect as jpgs but might not be recognized with the extension "jpg")

Jpg files can be optimized in the following ways:
jpegtran -optimize -grayscale (self explanatory) -progressive (only if the file is larger than 20 kB)
When saving, use floating point DCT method. This is more accurate, more intensive, and generates a better quality image.
Also when saving, you can turn on or off subsampling. with subsampling on (2x2,1x1,1x1) the image will be smaller, but look worse. It "guesses" what the colors will be to compress more. Use subsampling with photographs/complex images. with subsampling off (1x1,1x1,1x1) it will create a better looking image, but will be bigger. Don't use subsampling with simple images. This is mainly for files that are too big to be pngs.
Don't use quality 98+. Each step up past 95 really gets into the exponential size. It's never lossless, so there's no reason to be that high anyway.

png files can be optimized as well:
scriptpng, truepng, pngout, optipng, etc...
This is not all important, but it can save 20% on average on your images. If you've got an image heavy map, it's a good idea.

I don't think there's an easy way to detect these requirements digitally, so it's really up to the user. One thing you might do is detect if a .jpg file really is a jpg, or if a .png file really is a png. I wouldn't list any of these as errors, just point it out.
emergist

akrolsmir wrote:

No, this won't automatically rank your beatmaps :P . However, much like AIMod makes the life of human modders easier, hopefully AIBat will do the same for BATs, by checking things such as consistent tags/leadins/preview/timing, mp3 quality, catmull sliders, etc. This is still a work in progress. Source to be uploaded soon. This is for modders and mappers who want to save time looking at this stuff.
What is catmull slider?

I also saw this term here.
Kurokami

emergist wrote:

What is catmull slider?

The right one is a catmull slider.
emergist

Kurokami wrote:

emergist wrote:

What is catmull slider?

The right one is a catmull slider.
Sorry for my poor understanding, but...
Kurokami
Eh...okay, the pic is not the best, but...w/e, since you are unable to create catmull slider anymore, you don't need to worry about it.
Topic Starter
akrolsmir
For clarification: A catmull slider is a type of slider you used to be able to create in the editor. It draws curves in a different way than regular sliders. However, the way catmull sliders are drawn is generally considered not as pretty. Thus, the warning.

At any rate, you can't create catmull sliders in the osu! editor (you have to muck around the text file itself), so it should rarely be an issue.

@ziin- That has the makings of a useful guide; I feel bad that it's going to be hidden in this not-oft-perused thread...
emergist

akrolsmir wrote:

For clarification: A catmull slider is a type of slider you used to be able to create in the editor. It draws curves in a different way than regular sliders. However, the way catmull sliders are drawn is generally considered not as pretty. Thus, the warning.

At any rate, you can't create catmull sliders in the osu! editor (you have to muck around the text file itself), so it should rarely be an issue.
Thanks.
HakuNoKaemi
Suggesting "an epilepsy warning" becuase "a SB was detected" is stupid...

You can pretty much detect if there is a loop, for example. Or even if the loop is making a large image repeat.

( Loop are coded with "L,Number...." so it should be pretty easy to find it... too with reading the Images width and height. After all, you're arleady reading .osu files)
Topic Starter
akrolsmir
Hrm. Now i just feel like removing the epilepsy warning altogether, since it's more often a nuisance than a helpful reminder and I don't feel automated processes would be adequate.
NatsumeRin
http://puu.sh/C6uu

Freedom Dive.
Shohei Ohtani

So, after some people referring me to the wiki with the Ranking Criteria, I discovered that auto actually only needs to get 1000 bonus on a map for it to be rankable (Which came as a surprise to me o-o), but AIBat still goes off of the old ranking rules of 2000~.

:>.

Also, I've noticed that AIBat doesn't find things like notes being directly on top of each other (at the same ms), but AIMod does. Would it be possible to add that, since people seem to miss it a lot? :>.
Topic Starter
akrolsmir

NatsumeRin wrote:

http://puu.sh/C6uu

Freedom Dive.
Thanks for the heads-up, fixed here.

CDFA wrote:

So, after some people referring me to the wiki with the Ranking Criteria, I discovered that auto actually only needs to get 1000 bonus on a map for it to be rankable (Which came as a surprise to me o-o), but AIBat still goes off of the old ranking rules of 2000~.
Already changed for the upcoming release :D .

CDFA wrote:

Also, I've noticed that AIBat doesn't find things like notes being directly on top of each other (at the same ms), but AIMod does. Would it be possible to add that, since people seem to miss it a lot? :>.
Way back when I first started AIBat, the idea was that it'd do mostly things that AIMod couldn't- though since AIBat already mostly has everything I envisioned it to have, I'll think about adding this.
Derekku

akrolsmir wrote:

I really need to think about making exceptions/different checks for taiko diffs so that color/kiai stuff doesn't come up.
Yes please.
peppy
Why no integrate into osu! -.-
This seems like such a wrong direction to me, but maybe this project is too mature to consider doing that now.
HakuNoKaemi
why not combine your efforts to make AIMod better using AIBat improvements? and improve the overall ?
Topic Starter
akrolsmir

peppy wrote:

Why no integrate into osu! -.-
This seems like such a wrong direction to me, but maybe this project is too mature to consider doing that now.

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

why not combine your efforts to make AIMod better using AIBat improvements? and improve the overall ?
orz I feel super-guilty about not doing much down that avenue, but as it is right now, I could only implement maybe 1/10th of the functionality with the sdk. (Yes, I probably should have bugged you more, but then I'd feel like I was being an annoyance.) How does one get to work within the codebase like woc2006 =3?

The project'll never be too mature for me to want to move it into osu!, fwiw.
peppy
Giving raw file access via the SDK would be the quickest path for porting, but we can discuss integrating even further if you'd like (beyond using the SDK). Shoot me a PM on irc :).
Topic Starter
akrolsmir
A slew of improvements, foremost among them ModTrace!

This is my attempt to create the most fluid modding experience possible, by allowing you to simply edit the map in-editor and display the changes.
Instructions (which are also shown on ModTrace's startup):

Use extensively and provide feedback, please!
Aurele
A-w-e-s-o-m-e !
This is just... WOW!♥
You've made a great job.
Miya
What is that new feature? I don't understand >.<
Sure
It's a tracer.
If you changed something in the map and saved, modtrace will point something changed out.
show more