1. osu!community
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings
posted
Yes in theory all the input delay that your hardware introduce, everyone should be hitting slightly late. But hey we're not machines nor perfect and we can't all be put in the same boat. I've known a lot of people who still hit early and it's not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't relearn the game completely if I consistently hit everything 20ms early with double digit UR just to fit in those theoretical lines. If you ask me the best thing to do is to fix your global offset so it fits your own natural sense of rhythm. It's easier and probably more effective than ask someone to hear things differently.
posted
I think you're taking for granted already given advice, all of the above are very helpful alone, and when put together-- have a high chance of fixing your problem. There isn't' an easy quick fix for most things which is sounds like that's what you're looking for.
posted
bollocks, you shouldn't be clicking slightly late due to any amount of input lag if you listen to the hitsounds to any degree, literally any degree at all.

don't listen to me, listen to them
easy method

kriers wrote:

What I heard to be correct and definitely works for me is to download peppy - Offset Wizard.

While having this playing in the background, open the Offset Wizard in your settings. This will make both sounds overlap each other.
Add +20 to universal offset and force it off-sync. Decrease the offset by 1 at a time until the very first tick they sound like they're simultaneous. This should be your universal offset.

advanced method

important

Full Tablet wrote:

If your hits sound accurate according to the song (but the game gives you low accuracy), and your unstable rate is low enough, then adjusting based in your input is appropriate. If you feel the hit-sounds sound off-timed, then you need to work on making them sound on time.

Since songs usually are only accurate in timing up to about 5ms in average if you base the offset on the hit-sounds timing (since the sound timing is only accurate in 10ms intervals for most people, because DirectSound support in Windows Vista or later has limited hardware support), it is not possible to have a perfect offset except in rare cases. This map https://osu.ppy.sh/s/4659 is usually used as a base to set the Universal Offset.
my method of finding local offset
1. try a map and play it trying to sync the hitsounds to the music as well as you can
2. get a play that is ridded of extreme and obvious fuckups caused by lack of stamina, misreading, etc. preferably confirm if your hit error is more or less the same on a few plays in a row.
3. look at the hit error and add the two values together - for example, if you get -14 negative hit error and +6 positive hit error, the result is -8.
You can safely set your offset to half of that (-4), for me that has been the minimum that was required. This is rather accurate but the further away you are from your perfect offset the less that value will be reflected in the hit error
posted

Momiji wrote:

bollocks, you shouldn't be clicking slightly late due to any amount of input lag if you listen to the hitsounds to any degree, literally any degree at all.

don't listen to me, listen to them
easy method

kriers wrote:

What I heard to be correct and definitely works for me is to download peppy - Offset Wizard.

While having this playing in the background, open the Offset Wizard in your settings. This will make both sounds overlap each other.
Add +20 to universal offset and force it off-sync. Decrease the offset by 1 at a time until the very first tick they sound like they're simultaneous. This should be your universal offset.

advanced method

important

Full Tablet wrote:

If your hits sound accurate according to the song (but the game gives you low accuracy), and your unstable rate is low enough, then adjusting based in your input is appropriate. If you feel the hit-sounds sound off-timed, then you need to work on making them sound on time.

Since songs usually are only accurate in timing up to about 5ms in average if you base the offset on the hit-sounds timing (since the sound timing is only accurate in 10ms intervals for most people, because DirectSound support in Windows Vista or later has limited hardware support), it is not possible to have a perfect offset except in rare cases. This map https://osu.ppy.sh/s/4659 is usually used as a base to set the Universal Offset.
my method of finding local offset
1. try a map and play it trying to sync the hitsounds to the music as well as you can
2. get a play that is ridded of extreme and obvious fuckups caused by lack of stamina, misreading, etc. preferably confirm if your hit error is more or less the same on a few plays in a row.
3. look at the hit error and add the two values together - for example, if you get -14 negative hit error and +6 positive hit error, the result is -8.
You can safely set your offset to half of that (-4), for me that has been the minimum that was required. This is rather accurate but the further away you are from your perfect offset the less that value will be reflected in the hit error

When I said hitting late as opposed to hitting early I meant your hit judgments should be late as opposed to early. As in you tap on time and your inputs are judged as late. Inputs being judged as early just means you are whacking moles.
posted
Can't acc? Play low AR

I don't think you'll ever need offset for OD 8 maps, wear headphones and focus on the music. You're leaving notes too early mainly because you're mostly relying on reaction to time circles rather than timing it base on the music, you have speed but you don't have control
posted
You play maps that are too hard for you yet. I'm playing 4* maps most of the time and getting PP and I'm 25k ranks higher than you. Get some accuracy and consistency first.

I learned accuracy through old nightcore maps (AR=8; OD=8). Those nightcore packs were my first beatmaps and I played the sh*t out of them. I think that's the reason why accuracy is not an issue for me, do the same. Listening to the beat helps a lot too, whenever I play one of the named nightcore maps my UR becomes way lower than it usually is. Most likely, because there are multiple circles in a row and you just have to follow the beat, it helps a lot, at least in my opinion.

Consistency is something you get if you start playing a huge variety of maps and start sightread FCing them. You probably have to start in the 4-4.5* range and play them until you FCed a decent amount of maps. Downloading more maps and increasing the diversity of maps is the key of getting consistent.
posted

uziii wrote:

I think you're taking for granted already given advice, all of the above are very helpful alone, and when put together-- have a high chance of fixing your problem. There isn't' an easy quick fix for most things which is sounds like that's what you're looking for.

I am aware that it will take alot of time to get me to level of consistency I want, though it will be quite hard to hold myself from trying PP maps, cause for past... well, past 5 month (another 1 month is first month when I didn't even knew what is PP even) I was getting ranks really fast and I was relying on short PP maps which require mostly reaction. It's kinda painful to realise that my level is actually significantly lower than I thought.

I will also toss in this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/commen ... ief_guide/, pretty useful for players like me (reaction is descent, reading is bad).
posted
Oh, I am also interested, if I disable sound completely and try to rely on vision, will it help my reading ability? I played without sound recently and noticed that I am clicking VERY early, around 40-80ms earlier, just when they appear. So if I will try to press it in time without music, would it help my reading ability?
posted
In case someone is interested:
I chose not to play with HD and concentrate purely on 4* maps and improving my accuracy.
About a month passed, here are results:

4*:
I went from 88-92% on AR lower than 9 to 98% on average
From 93-95ish% on AR9 OD7 to 99.5-100%
From 90-93% on AR9 OD7+ to 98-99%

5*:
From 89-91% AR9 OD8 (which is usual for maps that I tried to farm) to 96-98%

Also I started playing much longer maps, which, of cource, positively affected my acc so I FC much more now.

Overall I am on 4.5*-5.5* maps right now and I enjoy game much more now, also ranking up by little day by day. :D
posted
Gratz
posted

Kostyan1996 wrote:

In case someone is interested:
I chose not to play with HD and concentrate purely on 4* maps and improving my accuracy.
About a month passed, here are results:

4*:
I went from 88-92% on AR lower than 9 to 98% on average
From 93-95ish% on AR9 OD7 to 99.5-100%
From 90-93% on AR9 OD7+ to 98-99%

5*:
From 89-91% AR9 OD8 (which is usual for maps that I tried to farm) to 96-98%

Also I started playing much longer maps, which, of cource, positively affected my acc so I FC much more now.

Overall I am on 4.5*-5.5* maps right now and I enjoy game much more now, also ranking up by little day by day. :D

that's some awesome progress. :0 :D