forum

Another consistency thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kostyan1996
I've read bunch of topics on forum about players inconsistency after I noticed that I have certain problems with FCing maps.
I've been playing with mouse around 5 months and switched to tablet (took me 1.5 months to get used to it and get to mouse level btw, which is exceptionally long judging by huge amount of "I got used to tablet in 2 hours" comments). I did not notice problems on mouse, because I was improving really fast, but on tablet I got stuck on 50k (and still there).

So, problem is consistency, obviously. What I mean by it is that I can't get high acc even on moderate OD and also can't FC almost everything.
About acc: I've been plaiyng first 3 month on 0 offset, then noticed that I was clicking earlier most of the time so I set offset to +40ms, which was most comfortable for me and my acc went up to 97-98%. Around 5th month of playing I got to 5* maps where big jumps is usual thing and around this time read some posts about "NEVER CHANGE OFFSET UNTIL YOU ARE UNDER 5K BECAUSE IT"S YOU SUCK, NOT GAME" and set it back to 0 offset. That was painful, but I actually almost got used to it, but still clicking 5-10 ms earlier which hurts acc on 8.5+ OD. Problem is, I did "pick offset setting map, close your eyes, turn off hitsounds and click when tick sound played" and got 35-40ms difference (and also did same thing on Crypt of the Necrodancer settings and it consistently showed 36ms error).
About FCing stuff: My aim is kinda good (can do full screen average bpm jumps most of the time) - so I can pass (B or A, up to 97% acc) some jumpy 6* maps, but can't FC 4* half of the time, missing 1 or 2 notes. Watching replays showed that my cursor 90% of time arrives at circle in time, but I didn't clicked in time, which led to miss. So, I guess, main problem here is coordination of my left and right hand.

My questions are:
1) Is it my PC problem, my ear/sence problem or just reaction problem? So in 1st and 2nd cases I probably should set offset to comfortable, but in 3rd case I should get used to 0 offset.
2) What is the solution to choke problem?

What I gathered on forums:
*Play more (obviously)
*Pick higher OD
*Play longer maps
*Do not repeat maps, fail/choke = go to another map and repeat this map only after some period of time
Last 2 points successfully used by me, bit first 2 have problems:
*Play more - I saw post, where was stated that you should pick difficulty which you can do 98-99% and grind these, playing harder maps giving skill but not consistency, and also it was recommended to play with HD to improve not reaction, but ability to listen music. Is that true? For me it will be either 4-4.99* maps with HD (which I still can rarely 98%, more 95-97%) or 5*+ nomod (for me it's usually 90-95% acc) depending on veracity of statement above.
*Pick higher OD - that comes to problem with offset.

Thanks in advance.
Blitzfrog
Well it could be your PC delay but the most likely reason is that you're rushing. If you watch your replays, do you feel like you were timing them right, does it sound right? If yes, then I think changing the offset doesn't really matter.

There is a way to get more consistent, and that is stop playing TV size songs. And random songs. What I mean is, f2 play f2 play. And make sure you get some of those 8 min dragonforce songs in. So long as you concentrate as hard as you can EVERY SINGLE song, you will see improvement in no time
Topic Starter
Kostyan1996
I checked some of my recent plays, sound right for me, so it's me rushing I guess. Wonder if HD could help me listen to music more and react less.

TV size is actually big problem for me, when I was playing mouse I grinded them, it was like 99% of my played beatmaps was TV size. Because of that (I think) I have low stamina. When I start song, first minute or so is like 99.8% acc, but then it goes down fast. After I switched to tablet I started playing for fun more, than for PP (though it still feels good to see your improvement on graphs), so TV size is around 50% now (I downloaded big packs, they have many TV size songs anyway). I don't have improvement on PP side, but actually feel more confident (then I played Haitai once for lulz and now it's my top score >_>).
Mikutsune
Your PC is probably not an issue. I did the turn off the hitsounds on that one timing map thing and I got some weird results. I personally just set it as I play normally. I'm using +20ms since I also always hit early and it seems to be a common thing for a lot of people. The only reason why I'd advise not playing with the offset is if your accuracy is all over the place (really high unstable rate).

Also I think your biggest issue is reading. You probably can't read properly if you can't FC 4 stars. Work on your fundamentals, play maps that you can FC and focus on acc. Playing maps way over your level won't get you anywhere if you don't work on reinforcing those fundamentals.

Omgforz answered that type of question a lot on his askfm. Try browsing it for a little bit I'm sure you'll find better answers that I can give http://ask.fm/Omgfzor He also has a video about reading https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QjNsd1uuS0

I hope that helps.
Topic Starter
Kostyan1996
I thought my reading ability was quite good for my level, but, actually, I watched couple of videos including one which is post above and came to conclusion that it's not my reading is good, but reaction. It can be also a reason for me clicking very early. I react to next circles, but I don't read whole picture, thus resulting in alot of misses and/or acc chokes.
I'll try to stick to 4* maps with high density, sometimes mixing it with 4* HD and low 5* maps.
I aim for consistent 4* 98% FC for now.
Thanks for responses, I think I now understand better basis of good perfomance and understand my mistakes.
chainpullz
I use -30ms global offset with 0% effects to sync my keyboard clicks to the beat because the delay on your keyboard by the time it gets registered by osu! is going to force a negative global offset if you really want to sync it. If you are playing with hitsounds and decent noise isolation you probably won't even notice the need to hit early to keep the hitsounds in sync with the music. But yeah if, with 0ms global offset, you are hitting early this actually means you are hitting way early. Input delays are exactly that - delays. If anything you should be hitting late not early.
Mikutsune
Yes in theory all the input delay that your hardware introduce, everyone should be hitting slightly late. But hey we're not machines nor perfect and we can't all be put in the same boat. I've known a lot of people who still hit early and it's not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't relearn the game completely if I consistently hit everything 20ms early with double digit UR just to fit in those theoretical lines. If you ask me the best thing to do is to fix your global offset so it fits your own natural sense of rhythm. It's easier and probably more effective than ask someone to hear things differently.
uziii
E m i
bollocks, you shouldn't be clicking slightly late due to any amount of input lag if you listen to the hitsounds to any degree, literally any degree at all.

don't listen to me, listen to them
easy method

kriers wrote:

What I heard to be correct and definitely works for me is to download peppy - Offset Wizard.

While having this playing in the background, open the Offset Wizard in your settings. This will make both sounds overlap each other.
Add +20 to universal offset and force it off-sync. Decrease the offset by 1 at a time until the very first tick they sound like they're simultaneous. This should be your universal offset.

advanced method

important

Full Tablet wrote:

If your hits sound accurate according to the song (but the game gives you low accuracy), and your unstable rate is low enough, then adjusting based in your input is appropriate. If you feel the hit-sounds sound off-timed, then you need to work on making them sound on time.

Since songs usually are only accurate in timing up to about 5ms in average if you base the offset on the hit-sounds timing (since the sound timing is only accurate in 10ms intervals for most people, because DirectSound support in Windows Vista or later has limited hardware support), it is not possible to have a perfect offset except in rare cases. This map https://osu.ppy.sh/s/4659 is usually used as a base to set the Universal Offset.

my method of finding local offset
1. try a map and play it trying to sync the hitsounds to the music as well as you can
2. get a play that is ridded of extreme and obvious fuckups caused by lack of stamina, misreading, etc. preferably confirm if your hit error is more or less the same on a few plays in a row.
3. look at the hit error and add the two values together - for example, if you get -14 negative hit error and +6 positive hit error, the result is -8.
You can safely set your offset to half of that (-4), for me that has been the minimum that was required. This is rather accurate but the further away you are from your perfect offset the less that value will be reflected in the hit error
chainpullz

Momiji wrote:

bollocks, you shouldn't be clicking slightly late due to any amount of input lag if you listen to the hitsounds to any degree, literally any degree at all.

don't listen to me, listen to them
easy method

kriers wrote:

What I heard to be correct and definitely works for me is to download peppy - Offset Wizard.

While having this playing in the background, open the Offset Wizard in your settings. This will make both sounds overlap each other.
Add +20 to universal offset and force it off-sync. Decrease the offset by 1 at a time until the very first tick they sound like they're simultaneous. This should be your universal offset.

advanced method

important

Full Tablet wrote:

If your hits sound accurate according to the song (but the game gives you low accuracy), and your unstable rate is low enough, then adjusting based in your input is appropriate. If you feel the hit-sounds sound off-timed, then you need to work on making them sound on time.

Since songs usually are only accurate in timing up to about 5ms in average if you base the offset on the hit-sounds timing (since the sound timing is only accurate in 10ms intervals for most people, because DirectSound support in Windows Vista or later has limited hardware support), it is not possible to have a perfect offset except in rare cases. This map https://osu.ppy.sh/s/4659 is usually used as a base to set the Universal Offset.

my method of finding local offset
1. try a map and play it trying to sync the hitsounds to the music as well as you can
2. get a play that is ridded of extreme and obvious fuckups caused by lack of stamina, misreading, etc. preferably confirm if your hit error is more or less the same on a few plays in a row.
3. look at the hit error and add the two values together - for example, if you get -14 negative hit error and +6 positive hit error, the result is -8.
You can safely set your offset to half of that (-4), for me that has been the minimum that was required. This is rather accurate but the further away you are from your perfect offset the less that value will be reflected in the hit error
When I said hitting late as opposed to hitting early I meant your hit judgments should be late as opposed to early. As in you tap on time and your inputs are judged as late. Inputs being judged as early just means you are whacking moles.
N0thingSpecial
Can't acc? Play low AR

I don't think you'll ever need offset for OD 8 maps, wear headphones and focus on the music. You're leaving notes too early mainly because you're mostly relying on reaction to time circles rather than timing it base on the music, you have speed but you don't have control
Nattsun
You play maps that are too hard for you yet. I'm playing 4* maps most of the time and getting PP and I'm 25k ranks higher than you. Get some accuracy and consistency first.

I learned accuracy through old nightcore maps (AR=8; OD=8). Those nightcore packs were my first beatmaps and I played the sh*t out of them. I think that's the reason why accuracy is not an issue for me, do the same. Listening to the beat helps a lot too, whenever I play one of the named nightcore maps my UR becomes way lower than it usually is. Most likely, because there are multiple circles in a row and you just have to follow the beat, it helps a lot, at least in my opinion.

Consistency is something you get if you start playing a huge variety of maps and start sightread FCing them. You probably have to start in the 4-4.5* range and play them until you FCed a decent amount of maps. Downloading more maps and increasing the diversity of maps is the key of getting consistent.
Topic Starter
Kostyan1996

uziii wrote:

I think you're taking for granted already given advice, all of the above are very helpful alone, and when put together-- have a high chance of fixing your problem. There isn't' an easy quick fix for most things which is sounds like that's what you're looking for.
I am aware that it will take alot of time to get me to level of consistency I want, though it will be quite hard to hold myself from trying PP maps, cause for past... well, past 5 month (another 1 month is first month when I didn't even knew what is PP even) I was getting ranks really fast and I was relying on short PP maps which require mostly reaction. It's kinda painful to realise that my level is actually significantly lower than I thought.

I will also toss in this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/commen ... ief_guide/, pretty useful for players like me (reaction is descent, reading is bad).
Topic Starter
Kostyan1996
Oh, I am also interested, if I disable sound completely and try to rely on vision, will it help my reading ability? I played without sound recently and noticed that I am clicking VERY early, around 40-80ms earlier, just when they appear. So if I will try to press it in time without music, would it help my reading ability?
Topic Starter
Kostyan1996
In case someone is interested:
I chose not to play with HD and concentrate purely on 4* maps and improving my accuracy.
About a month passed, here are results:

4*:
I went from 88-92% on AR lower than 9 to 98% on average
From 93-95ish% on AR9 OD7 to 99.5-100%
From 90-93% on AR9 OD7+ to 98-99%

5*:
From 89-91% AR9 OD8 (which is usual for maps that I tried to farm) to 96-98%

Also I started playing much longer maps, which, of cource, positively affected my acc so I FC much more now.

Overall I am on 4.5*-5.5* maps right now and I enjoy game much more now, also ranking up by little day by day. :D
N0thingSpecial
Gratz
kai99

Kostyan1996 wrote:

In case someone is interested:
I chose not to play with HD and concentrate purely on 4* maps and improving my accuracy.
About a month passed, here are results:

4*:
I went from 88-92% on AR lower than 9 to 98% on average
From 93-95ish% on AR9 OD7 to 99.5-100%
From 90-93% on AR9 OD7+ to 98-99%

5*:
From 89-91% AR9 OD8 (which is usual for maps that I tried to farm) to 96-98%

Also I started playing much longer maps, which, of cource, positively affected my acc so I FC much more now.

Overall I am on 4.5*-5.5* maps right now and I enjoy game much more now, also ranking up by little day by day. :D
that's some awesome progress. :0 :D