forum

[Archived] Resolution does not revert after exiting game

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Wylo
Problem Details
When using Compatibility mode in fullscreen, in-game resolution carries over to the desktop even after quitting the game. I have my desktop set to 1920x1080 and 1366x768 in-game. However, allt-tabbing has the expected behaviour (res changes to 1920x1080 when alt-tabbing out and vice versa).

The problem applies to both GPUs and only in Compatibility mode.

Steps to reproduce
  1. Set desktop resolution to 1920x1080.
  2. Launch osu!
  3. Enable compatibility mode.
  4. Set in-game resolution to something different than desktop (eg. 640x480).
  5. Exit the game.
  6. Behold, your desktop is now 640x480.
Specs
Windows 10 64-bit build 14986
Intel HD Graphics 4400 (driver 20.19.15.4568)
NVIDIA GeForce 840M (driver 376.33)

osu! version
20170103.2 (latest)

-- Edited for clarification --
Kao
I think there's no problem here, why should it change when you quit?
It is normal behavior for the in-game resolution to not change even if you quit the game.
Topic Starter
Wylo
I think I should've phrased it better.

The in-game resolution is carried over to the desktop.

For example:
My desktop resolution is 1920x1080 and then I launch osu! and set the in-game resolution to 640x480. After finished playing, I close the game but the resolution stays at 640x480! Everything became huge and I had to open the control panel to change it back to 1920x1080.
Deivedux
Lemme try to understand your problem. Whenever you change resolution in-game, the same resolution applies to your system resolution itself too?

And one more thing I understood from your words, is that by huge, you meant that you can't see the borders of the game?
Topic Starter
Wylo

Deivedux wrote:

Lemme try to understand your problem. Whenever you change resolution in-game, the same resolution applies to your system resolution itself too?

And one more thing I understood from your words, is that by huge, you meant that you can't see the borders of the game?
Yes and no.

As far as I know, there's only one resolution setting for a display and any game that changes the display resolution is responsible for changing it back to the previous resolution upon quitting. This does not apply when playing in windowed because the game window is able to scale freely.

The game plays fine. It's just annoying that I have to manually set my desktop resolution to what it was every time I finish playing because the game doesn't change it back for me (like every other game does).
Deivedux
Your system resolution does never change, unless you do it manually via system settings.

The way how games are shown fullscreen with their custom resolutions, is that they are scaled to perfectly fit the monitor size. Even if you choose a lot smaller resolution, it will still be fullscreen, but since your system resolution is different, the game resolution still doesn't change (nor the system as well), instead you will have a game with lower quality graphics due to scaling from a smaller window to a bigger.
JSE

Deivedux wrote:

Your system resolution does never change, unless you do it manually via system settings.

The way how games are shown fullscreen with their custom resolutions, is that they are scaled to perfectly fit the monitor size. Even if you choose a lot smaller resolution, it will still be fullscreen, but since your system resolution is different, the game resolution still doesn't change (nor the system as well), instead you will have a game with lower quality graphics due to scaling from a smaller window to a bigger.
That's not true. If you don't have letterboxing it changes the "system resolution" as that's the only "resolution" strictly speaking. Alt+tabbing switches back which is why you see the flicker in contrast to just playing at native resolution.

The point is op is changing resolution with in-game settings but it's not reverting on exit like every other game usually does. It's just a bug, but I'm not sure if it'll be addressed since it's probably not top priority with lazer in the works, but who knows?
Topic Starter
Wylo

Deivedux wrote:

What you said is incorrect. Games with exclusive fullscreen have direct access to the GPU(?) and changing the in-game resolution means changing the display/output resolution.
Deivedux
Oh, I haven't mentioned letterboxing. Sorry for missunderstanding :o
Berbanu
Same problem lol
Lychwee
Any solution for this issue? It's still the same on the latest build as of 7/May/2020
Kufd00m

Kao wrote:

I think there's no problem here, why should it change when you quit?
It is normal behavior for the in-game resolution to not change even if you quit the game.
The thing is that when you alt tab or press insert the resolution changes back to normal.