forum

Running osu under Wine with wifi [solved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MrLinuxFish
I am trying to run osu on my Arch Linux laptop using wine (I installed everything on the laptop the same as on my desktop which is working), but I cannot get osu to communicate with bancho to login and post scores. I have even copied the working wine prefix from my desktop to my laptop, but have not had any luck getting it to connect to bancho. Is there anything else I could try to get osu to connect to the network?
SlowLogicBoy
To me it seems that Wine doesn't see the wifi connection.. So it doesn't pass through the network connection to osu!? that would be my guess.
JSE
Wine is supposed to be a "native" win32 api for *nix unlike VMs which rely on bridges and stuff so network support should just work™. So, have you...
1. Tried other wine applications, like a browser possibly in same prefix to see if it has network access? Or tried pinging something in wine cmd?
2. Does it have network access (can ping 8.8.8.8 eg?) but it's not resolving DNS queries, or is there no network access at all?
3. Are both the desktop and laptop wifi or does wired work for some unknown reason?
Topic Starter
MrLinuxFish
I finally resolved the problem by downloading lib32-gnutls. I'm not sure what this library does specifically, but it is important to getting osu to work correctly in wine.

Thanks for all the troubleshooting steps 8-)
JSE
Figured it was a missing 32bit library ;) ... I was suspecting some DNS library but all it takes is one... if you used a real stable distro that handled dependencies well *cough* Debian *cough* this wouldn't happen but that's mean to say :P ... That is a 32bit encryption library which you needed to connect to encrypted protocols (because iirc osu! runs over https except for maybe fallback?) ;)
Topic Starter
MrLinuxFish
Well, I had the same issue on Arch and Solus, so I think the issue is more on me not knowing the dependencies than the os not downloading the correct ones.
Espionage724

jsebean wrote:

...if you used a real stable distro that handled dependencies well *cough* Debian *cough* this wouldn't happen

The amount of horror stories I've heard of Debian and Ubuntu's handling of dependencies makes me think otherwise :p
ThePooN
This is probably related to SSL/TLS (libgnutls). Make sure you're using Wine and gnutls package built for your distribution.
Arch Linux's wine/wine-staging packages work well.