1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings
  4. osu!taiko
show more
posted
so i played around with hr scorev2 on a 2002 note map (all circles, has big notes) and i lost points upon getting 100s and misses

is this intended behaviour
posted
yes
posted
at least it has the merit of being a very concise answer LOL

edit:

smoogipooo wrote:

Finisher second key hits now award between 3 and 10 times (linear scale) the amount of points of a normal hit as bonus points, dependent on the number of finishers in the beatmap. In this way a beatmap with less than or equal to 30 finishers will award 10 times the amount of points, and a beatmap with 120 or more finishers will award 3 times the amount of points.
bolded the one thing that confuses me

map has 114 finishers, around 900 combo i get ~500 score for a normal note and ~860 for a big note. assuming 3x (we're close to 120 after all), we're at ~360, which is 120 per note. does that mean the note value is originally 120?

also i made a joke map with only one D to test and had 3 million score somehow, which is weird for a map with much less than 30 finishers. should it be 10 million in this case?
posted
I'm not at all a fan of the reduced scroll speed for HR. Being able to play 260+ bpm, as HR currently is, is immensely satisfying and takes a great deal of practice to master. As I've been playing with scorev2, 280bpm is a total joke to read. Most of the difficulty of the mod -- and, to my mind, all of its charm and fun -- comes from the significantly increased scroll speed. I can understand if a change were implemented that would make higher bpms more readable (say, tapering off scroll speed as bpm increased) but the scroll speed on lower bpm stuff is, to my eyes, slow enough as to be unreadable. That isn't Hard Rock. I have absolutely no interest in seeing any change in the mod, and the only concession I'd be willing to make would be the parenthetical one above. Don't turn HR into "nomod with extra OD."

Edit: Hmm, seems that this is being addressed! Thank you!
posted
Thanks all for your comments on HR. This was a bug and has now been fixed on Beta/Cutting Edge.
posted
The cap should be 1 million in any case. I think something in the calculation is not working as intended, especially since the finisher changes.
posted
Fixed!
posted
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but there is an issue with HDHR on widescreen.
I love the fact that HDHR is playable now, but right now it's way harder on widescreen because it still uses the accelerated/widescreen-adjusted HR scroll speed while also cutting off part of the track for HD. This makes the effective scroll speed way higher than the same mod combination on 4:3
If HDHR cuts the track to 4:3, it also needs to adjust the scroll speed back down to 4:3 HR levels.
posted
Seconding the above post.
posted
I also agree with Luna. I noticed this right away put couldn't put it into words lol. For example: trying to read, not even play, but read Renatus HDHRDT on 16:9 is absolutely impossible :cry:
posted
Fixed.
posted
Definitely YES For me :)

But anyways, there's no Score V2 .png skinning. Where is it imo?
posted
Should be there. Have you tried selection-mod-scorev2.png?
posted

SteveOsu420 wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is meant by this?
posted

CaptainAhab wrote:

SteveOsu420 wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is meant by this?
the mod icon, like selection-mod-nofail.png for nofail
posted
I still have some problems with the current system, as they do not reflect how taiko is supposed to play. I'll list them below.

1. GOOD notes counting for 1/3 instead of 1/2 - it's far less punishing and a good middle ground to have it at 1/2, it's one of the reasons I prefer Taiko over STD, it puts way less pressure on perfection
  2. Some drum roll ticks being required and drum rolls counting towards combo - what, why? They were optional in the original game, and gimmick maps will suffer. This is just nonsensical no matter how I try to look at it
  3. Same as above but with spinners - this is also dumb. Why count extra points to the overall accuracy and combo? It takes away from the original game

All in all it feels like you are trying to make taiko play like the other modes, and it honestly isn't supposed to play like them.

Here is what I do like about the system though.

1. Accuracy based score - OG Taiko scoring is nice, acc scoring sounds better. I'd like to see my score reflect how well I hit the notes rather than seeing a score tank because I break combo 3 times instead of too.
  2. New HDHR - Wow, it's actually readable, thank you

In all honesty if this is never going to be used outside of tournaments and anyone who wants to toggle it on then I'd say this state is passable as a final release. If this is never going to affect casual play then basically disregard this post.

EDIT:
I discussed this with some people in #taiko and an idea that came up was to have both systems have their own kind of separate ranking system. Kind of like competitive and casual you see in most games today. That might actually be something cool to see come to osu, not just for this mode, but all modes.
posted

Syphist wrote:

I still have some problems with the current system, as they do not reflect how taiko is supposed to play. I'll list them below.

1. GOOD notes counting for 1/3 instead of 1/2 - it's far less punishing and a good middle ground to have it at 1/2, it's one of the reasons I prefer Taiko over STD, it puts way less pressure on perfection
  2. Some drum roll ticks being required and drum rolls counting towards combo - what, why? They were optional in the original game, and gimmick maps will suffer. This is just nonsensical no matter how I try to look at it
  3. Same as above but with spinners - this is also dumb. Why count extra points to the overall accuracy and combo? It takes away from the original game

All in all it feels like you are trying to make taiko play like the other modes, and it honestly isn't supposed to play like them.

Here is what I do like about the system though.

1. Accuracy based score - OG Taiko scoring is nice, acc scoring sounds better. I'd like to see my score reflect how well I hit the notes rather than seeing a score tank because I break combo 3 times instead of too.
  2. New HDHR - Wow, it's actually readable, thank you

In all honesty if this is never going to be used outside of tournaments and anyone who wants to toggle it on then I'd say this state is passable as a final release. If this is never going to affect casual play then basically disregard this post.
Firstly, this is _not_ Taiko no Tatsujin. If you want to play TnT go play it, but our goal is not to remain loyal to the original game and copy it mechanic for mechanic.

Two of the three problems you've listed are non-issues - both changes to drum rolls and spinners add a deeper rhythmic sense to their mechanics. As far as I'm concerned this is not going away, however adjustments to the amount of ticks/spins required for 100s/300s can be considered.
posted
Spinners are rhythmic?

Nah but the main problem I have with people arguing that osu!taiko isn't Taiko no Tatsujin say so for changes that makes osu!taiko less unique than other modes, generally. It seems more like trying to make osu!taiko unique by making it less unique and more similiar to other rhythm games, which is dumb and unecessary in my opinion.

My issue with ScoreV2 is that a lot of changes seem unecessary and honestly dumbed down to be more like other rhythm games.
posted

agu wrote:

Spinners are rhythmic?

Nah but the main problem I have with people arguing that osu!taiko isn't Taiko no Tatsujin say so for changes that makes osu!taiko less unique than other modes, generally. It seems more like trying to make osu!taiko unique by making it less unique and more similiar to other rhythm games, which is dumb and unecessary in my opinion.

My issue with ScoreV2 is that a lot of changes seem unecessary and honestly dumbed down to be more like other rhythm games.
Pretty much this. I could care less with the underlying score that's changed. It's when you make force it to be a game it was never meant to be. Also I agree, how are spinners even rhythmic? It's just spamming the alternating k and d as fast as possible. Another question, why is someone who has not actively played osu!taiko in 2 years spearheading the score change, shouldn't it be an active player that actually understands the game?
posted
Keep in mind we are attempting to standardise our various games modes to allow for better modularity and future extensibility. One of the things that I believe should be standardised is that every object gives at least one combo.
show more