forum

Share your coding horror

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-

Horror named: "How the fuck i made 2 code lines a fuckload of lines what waste memory".
Kanna
Lol is this scary enough?
Blitzfrog
When I type colour instead of color and search for 2 hours in line 265 for the bug
abraker
I spent a week trying to trace all memory leaks in the osu! replay analyzer several months back. Took me a week because I couldn't figure out why std::vector still had memory reserved. At the end I just cleared the vector and swapped it with a newly created blank vector.

I was careless and cut-pasted files under a different name and committed rather than cut-pasting, committing, and then renaming. Spent an entire day cherrypicking commits to a temporary branch in an attempt to restore file change history. Diff3 still managed to fuck up at places, but at that point I'd rather use GitExtention's file history feature. This was for osu!skills.

Not coding related, but yesterday I fucked up my linux install by accidentally using chmod on a wrong directory. This made sudo non root and fucked up gdm and unity. Spent an entire day restoring file permissions and even now the logon screen doesn't automatically start so I need to open a tty console and use startx. To fix sudo I need to go to GRUB and load the recovery and drop as root. To fix gdm and unity I fucked the system even more because I am linux illiterate. Started installing lightdm over gdm, fucking up my configs. I got it working eventually, but if that doesn't sound like a nightmare, this was at work and I lost an entire day to this.
Fl4ndre Scarlet
Php is my nightmare
T3ars_old
People usually complain on my brace style..

Baka94
I haven't worked on this in a long time, but I had a problem where sprites would display correctly on screen; but once scrolled off screen, unused sprites would appear all over the screen. I believe the cause is somewhere in the code below, but I can't find it ._.

Also, I don't know how many people here can read this kind of code, so I don't expect anyone to be able to help :p

abraker

Baka94 wrote:

coding nightmare...
What runs this?
Baka94

abraker wrote:

Baka94 wrote:

coding nightmare...
What runs this?
NES :p
With some modifying you can probably run this on any 6502 processor assuming you have the right compiler for it :D
abraker
Today I frantically spent 6 hours complaining to the electrical engineer guy and blamed the hardware when in fact the fault was, no, not in my code, but the I2C library for the raspberry pi. I want to bash my head against a wall.
kai99

Baka94 wrote:

I haven't worked on this in a long time, but I had a problem where sprites would display correctly on screen; but once scrolled off screen, unused sprites would appear all over the screen. I believe the cause is somewhere in the code below, but I can't find it ._.

Also, I don't know how many people here can read this kind of code, so I don't expect anyone to be able to help :p
I've seen my friend do this and dam it's inhumane

My best coding horror is as usual: add a feature, somehow break the whole code and so start reading from line 1.
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-
My best coding horror is as usual: add a feature, somehow break the whole code and so start reading from line 1.
That's standard programmer life when it comes to project with more than one functionality 8-)

I was patching old database software wrote for small company yesterday. I found 4 methods in 4 different class files which had same functionality but was wrote differently. How i even done that?

NotLikeThis