forum

I Can't Understand Technical Maps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Manfred
Hello everyone, looking for some advice on how to deal with a problem. Looking through maps I've completed with an A ranking I see very little difference in map types, they all follow similar patterns for mapping and aren't out of the ordinary. When I come across maps that are splattered with sliders that do all sorts of crazy things to the tune of some dubstep my brain shits out and my fingers refuse to cooperate.

I know to"practice more, play more" and I'm well aware that's how everyone gets better at osu!, but the problem is, I don't know where to start practicing these map types. I can't find a middle ground, the maps are either too easy and can be single tapped and are undermapped, then there are maps that are grossly underrated and overmapped that make my jaw drop.

A perfect example is https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1021251&m=0 [-kevincela-'s Insane]. I can play 70% of the maps patterns with not too much trouble, but then around the 350 combo mark and my accuracy drops so hard I just quit the map out of sheer bewilderment.

Another https://osu.ppy.sh/b/797108&m=0 [Sakura no Hana] The star rating is a bit high for me, and the hard part isn't streaming, its the change in slider velocity and the sheer amount of things going on where I get totally lost.

I've made a post very similar to this one in the past, but I think I was asking the wrong questions and didn't get anywhere with it.
Any feedback on where to start practicing at a reasonable pace would be nice, otherwise its feels like diving headfirst into the middle of the ocean and not knowing how to swim to begin with.

TL;DR I'm very bad at alternating and need tips on where to start practicing. (I think)
7ambda
Those maps become very easy to read once you can differentiate longer kicksliders from regular sliders.
Topic Starter
Manfred
That is something I think I'm starting to pick up on a bit, I couldn't even think of trying https://osu.ppy.sh/b/589965&m=0 [Another] but then just recently I went back and tried the map again and passed the section loaded with kicksliders that I couldn't understand until that point.
Sayorie
I don't know if it will work for you, but technical maps became easier for me after using HD since I can focus more on the objects (and what kind of objects they are) rather than relying on approach circles.
I think you also need a good skin if you don't have yet, ones which have good visibility for technical patterns, like clear and emphasized reverse arrows and just a low-clutter skin in general. It should help a bit during your learning stage.
Topic Starter
Manfred
I'll try my hand at HD the next time I come across one of these maps, see if I get any results. Thank you Sayorie for the suggestion.

As for the skin, I love that aspect of the game so I've been "making" my own skin that keeps evolving. I just took different parts of countless other skins and made some things myself. I don't think my skin is cluttered but that's just my 6 digit opinion. Feel free to give it a try and let me know if there are things hindering clearer gameplay.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2y2cou9q4 ... proved.osk
Sayorie
No problem. I'll check your skin later after I get home from uni (unless someone checks it first). Nevertheless, good luck with improving. :D
N0thingSpecial
Tbh you're still not at a level to completely comprehend wub maps, if you really want to start now play any maps with triplets and quints, any rock or dnb should suffice, search for artist like Rameses B and Nekomata Master.

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/344898 here's a very very good map to start, I played this hundreds of times since I was rank 80000 and this remains as one of the best 4* map for me

Cherry Blossom makes some of the easiest wub maps and Sakura no Hana will be the easiest 5* wub map you'll ever FC once you're good enough, I FCed it with laptop keyboard lol
scrain8
Have you had a completed play of the first beatmap? If not I'd recommend to play it all the way through. At first the kicksliders will catch you by surprise but over time you will get used to it. The second beatmap, everything else aside, you may not be able to read and properly tap to hit them correctly just yet. If you don't understand how to hit them you "can't" hit them. Play more maps is a cop out but maps not like this will still have tiny bits of technical tapping and sliders. Build your way up instead of jumping straight into craziness.

Heres a map with a little amount of kicksliders: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/761722
Topic Starter
Manfred
I haven't played through Aimer with chelly (EGOIST) fully, but I've tried it enough to see that my accuracy ends up being so poor near the end of the song I refuse to submit it. I'd rather get nothing now and not take an accuracy hit (like seriously, 85-89% because of kicksliders and short sliders).

I got an A ranking on https://osu.ppy.sh/b/761722 over a month ago and tried it again today even before I made this post and you're right it does have some technical parts to it because yet again, over a month later it still beats my ass and makes me drop any sort of combo I had going.

Thanks you scrain8 for the map suggestion, I'll go back and play it tomorrow and see if I can get any better.
Topic Starter
Manfred
You're probably right N0thingSpecial, it just bugs me to come across a map type in the star rating range that is "supposedly" as hard other maps of similar ratings (my ass) I swear this game is so unfriendly to new players expecting straightforward difficulty display. Luckily its got a good community for that part.
I got a B ranking on Rameses B - Kiss Me [Collab Insane] a month ago so it's a perfect map to try now and see if I've improved and can do basic technical patterns. Thanks for the suggestion and advice.

Looking at the way higher end of the star rating spectrum, some maps like these only have nomod plays or very limited modded plays so the difficulty is evident even to the best players in the world. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/479033 and https://osu.ppy.sh/s/463479 being 2 of my favorites to watch being played.
7ambda
Topic Starter
Manfred
Hot damn I can't understand what in the flying fuck I'm trying to do on those Reol - Gokusaishiki insanes. That map type hit the dick right on the head with what is my problem. I'll keep trying those until I can't comprehend even 5% of whats going on and see what comes of that, thanks for the suggestions F1r3tar.
scrain8
You will get better over time. Just keep trying but don't over work yourself. Multiplayer is also nice to practice since you will not get the option to reset so you're basically forced to get it. Don't worry about accuracy. Even if I can't hit them I will complete the whole thing no matter what I get.

Another thing, when it's something technical that I can't do, unless it's too hard, I FORCE myself to hit it. It's a weird concept that I can't explain. You just got to do it.
Jukkii
About that "forcing yourself you to hit it."

This is a very, very important thing when it comes to learning tech maps. It is a type of focus that only lasts for a small while. It helps read patterns alot and gives finger control. This is how i learned technical maps at first and patterns like doubles (i now prefer doubles over triples. I love them). When it comes to technical maps you have to think about the patterns conciously. When you see a pattern, think about how to hit it and how it plays. They also require alot of experience to play so if you cant play them yet you just havent played enough. You could even look into the editor to inspect the patterns too, but i suggest you avoid it for now.
den0saur
Try Function Phantom maps. For example on Euclid, toybot has an extremely nice insane diff, but you may want to try byfar's insane (diff before toybot's). One thing you need to understand that if you see a slider, and something appearing after it shortly, the transition will be fast, try to imagine the timeline with objects. And considering how fast it follows up you can think for fast the slider is. Or not, we all know maps like them are tricky, so focus really hard when you play. Probably i'm saying pretty much basic stuff, but it really did helped me to realize when i was trying to get into maps like these.

About skin, someone before me said that you need something that emphasizes exactly object you hit, not the whole thing. You can find a skin in my profile, and by practical experience of many friends, they say it is really nice for any type of maps. I cannot really say that i tried to emphasize the exact hit objects while doing that skin, but looks like really it. Though i dont notice it anymore, probably because i'm used to it. Ok, self-advertisement is over.

Oh, almost forgot, go to osusearch website, and in field of diffname (yes, that field) type toybot, i recommend to try every his 4*+ diff, they vary from usual to technical, and something mid between them too happens.

Sorry if i said something that someone said before me, haven't red the whole thread.
N0thingSpecial
one more thing, there's a lot more to a wub map than just fancy sliders, there's really no middle ground for wub maps.

My process of learning to play wub really goes from normal pop rock that occasionally gives you streams/burst streams, then moving to dnb maps like the various Asterisk remixes that includes more streams and kick sliders, while introducing myself to reading unconventional spacing and flow pattern, reinforcing it with gimmick maps and alternate maps, training my aim and tapping with spaced streams, stream jumps, jump streams, doubles, timing change and tons of other stuff

You don't really learn to play wubs by just playing wubs, even TV size anime maps can help you. You pretty much will improve your ability to play wub maps as you move up ranks by playing variety of maps. I've encounter various people that had similar or higher rank than me who rekt me in physically demanding maps, but when it comes to maps that are slightly more complex like maps by rrtyui, they will just fail the map entirely, cause they only expose themselves to aim heavy and stream heavy maps with more simplistic patterns.
I Give Up
I can't understand this bloody game
chainpullz
Playing difficult maps is about subconsciously understanding the structure of the music (usually the first X many seconds is enough to determine the structure of a song given a well designed/consistent map). There are visual cues you can try to use to read the map but they won't be consistent across maps and when there are different SV changes the visual cues become less reliable. For difficult maps you will typically be using the visuals mainly to determine where your cursor needs to be and all the timing/rhythm recognition will be based off your subconscious observations/predictions of the song's structure.

Just as an aside, even if you set music to 0%, a well designed map is structured to have clickables according to the structure of the song. So although you cant hear the actual song you still develop a subconscious idea of the song/map's structure (hitsounds/loud keypresses aid here as well). While you may start out the map relying on visual cues you will quickly pick up the structure. Also, reading janky SV changes with music at 0% is much more difficult vs. a simple map with music at 0%. Technical maps just tend to showcase this aspect more.