forum

I need help to get better >:(

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
wonderwaffledh
Hey y'all, so i am annoyed at how bad i am at this game and really want to get better. if a kind gentleman or gentlewoman could give tips for someone like me on how to get better, i would really appreciate it :). some stuff that might help in understand how bad i am:
> im 15 (not sure if that will help)
> i play with a mouse. a Roccat lua to be exact. and my keyboard is a razer blackwidow.
> can play 1 or 2 4* songs and get a C or if i did good, a B.
> i can get Bs-As on most 3*.
> i use my index and ring finger to play and use the buttons 1 and 3 on the top of the keyboard.

thanks again everyone :3
- Jade -
Age doesn't determine whether you're good or not; try building your way up to harder difficulties and aim for SS, S, or A ranks first.
Starrodkirby86
Awww. For one, definitely just keep playing. Focus on those fundamentals and improve your reading and rhythm ability. osu! at the end of the day is still a rhythm game, so it's important to maintain that consistency, as if you're this circle-clicking musician playing your own instrument in the song.

You might get better responses at Gameplay & Rankings, where this sort of thread should belong. At the least, there should be lots of things you can read about in terms of improving, so just stick to it and play more. :p
Topic Starter
wonderwaffledh

- Jade - wrote:

Age doesn't determine whether you're good or not; try building your way up to harder difficulties and aim for SS, S, or A ranks first.

Ok the only reason i put my age up there is coz when i look at people who are good at the game, they tend to be much older so i just thought maybe i have to mature a bit more. But yes i will definitly try that out :). would you happen to know any good 3-4* beatmaps to help build up with jumping and streams. currently im playing blue zenith.
Sandy Hoey
I think the beat thing for you to do would be to continue playing around 3 star songs. I personally think that the best area for improvement is when you challenge yourself, but dont over-exaggerate to the point where you lose control. I tink that to be in the A-B range which is what you say you get on 3 star songs. And try and get lots of new songs. New song will give you different patterns and speeds to grow your osu! knowledge and make you a more well-rounded player. Keep working on those until you can gets S or even an SS. You dont have to compeltely stop playing harder maps because if they are fun, then why not.
Topic Starter
wonderwaffledh

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Awww. For one, definitely just keep playing. Focus on those fundamentals and improve your reading and rhythm ability. osu! at the end of the day is still a rhythm game, so it's important to maintain that consistency, as if you're this circle-clicking musician playing your own instrument in the song.
You might get better responses at Gameplay & Rankings, where this sort of thread should belong. At the least, there should be lots of things you can read about in terms of improving, so just stick to it and play more. :p

ok, currently i am practising my reading ability as i read around an hour a day (i have to XD) and my rhythm i will definitly practise as im a musician, a drummer to be precise. thank you for this answer :) :) :) this will defo help.
Sandy Hoey
Reading in relation to osu! is not the same as reading a book. :P It is the ability to see and comprehend the notes as they appear.
Topic Starter
wonderwaffledh

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Reading in relation to osu! is not the same as reading a book. :P It is the ability to see and comprehend the notes as they appear.

oh XD ok well im still pretty good at doing that XD but i need a change of skin because the one im using, sometimes you cant see the hit circle coz it's too dark. thanks so much :) :)
KupcaH
Mmm, play game more.
Chinala
100 Jumps
100 Doubles
100 Triples
and 10km of streaming

and of course, make sure you play three pp farming maps a day.
-Makishima S-
and my keyboard is a razer blackwidow.
Prepare to change your keyboard when you play osu! (unless you still own old blackwidow with cherry mx switches or new blackwidow X what also have cherry mx). Reason for this is that razer switches are complete garbage in term of durability. They break fast and easiely. All what razer say about their "precious switches" is a lie.

> can play 1 or 2 4* songs and get a C or if i did good, a B.
> i can get Bs-As on most 3*.
Don't play maps which gives you great problems, you end up mashing keys and it's worst possible habit in osu, also worst to "remove".
Chinala
Prepare to change your keyboard when you play osu! (unless you still own old blackwidow with cherry mx switches or new blackwidow X what also have cherry mx). Reason for this is that razer switches are complete garbage in term of durability. They break fast and easiely. All what razer say about their "precious switches" is a lie.
I don't necessarily have a huge distaste for Razer keyboards, but was wondering what was your experience with them? I would love to know lol.

On topic, if you want quality keyboards consider check out keyboards from Steelseries, the 6GV2 is currently what I am using. A boring keyboard, but hey it's quite durable. What switches are you also using? Cherry mx reds, browns, and blues are generally what makes up the majority of what players use.

Don't play maps which gives you great problems, you end up mashing keys and it's worst possible habit in osu, also worst to "remove".
If you mean playing 6 or 7* maps at his current rank, then yes. Otherwise, I'd have to disagree the only way to get better at this game is to play harder maps and try to improve from there. What do I mean by that? Considering most 3* maps are ar 7 or even 8 it's best to let him practice out those maps so he can get used to the ar as well as improving his speed.

Just play maps you think you are ready for, eventually you'll see a rise in your level of play.
-Makishima S-
I don't necessarily have a huge distaste for Razer keyboards, but was wondering what was your experience with them? I would love to know lol.
I personally didn't bothered to buy any of them. From other side, i can easily support everything with opinion from experts from /r/mechanicalkeyboard. This people build mechs from scratch and know wtf is going on switch market. Their opinion is pretty valid towards Kailh switches which are placed in blackwidow - they are complete garbage due shitty durability and shitty materials.

Considering most 3* maps are ar 7 or even 8 it's best to let him practice out those maps so he can get used to the ar as well as improving his speed.
Moving foward step by step is easier than jumping right into deep water. Everyone here recommend new players to move step by step, following star rating and to not play maps where you can barely achieve 90% acc for a reason - you start mashing keys and you can forget about playing efficiently with high acc when you learn to mash instead of playing actual rhythm game.