forum

aran - White is the New Blue

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Xephyr-
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Trust
from queue,

red = unrankable
blue = highly recommended

[General]
  1. Set a preview point for your mapset
  2. Remove aran from the tags as it already appears under Artist
[Perplexing]

1. 00:01:148 - Delete this green line and set your timing point to 60 vol. as it's currently inheriting 100% volume
  2. 00:21:494 (4) - If you intend to rank, this kind of overmap when there's only 1/2 audible in the background music wont make it past any bn/qat. Would highly recommended replacing this.
  3. 00:23:218 (8) - Given the emphasis on this note on the song I don't feel like having this stacked really captures that emphasis. Consider unstacking and adding a NC to this circle.
    01:05:632 (13) - Same issue as earlier
  4. 01:05:977 (1) - Not a visually appealing curve imo. Try to curve this like you did at 03:18:391 (1) -
    02:35:632 (1) - The normal-whistle seems out of place and sounds strange to hear right before the calm section of the song. Perhaps just use a finish on this
  5. 03:18:046 (13) - Same about the overmap
  6. 03:36:494 (3) - A bit unsual this isn't quite stacked with 03:36:322 (1,2) - , probably not intentional?
Just a few suggestions to get you started. Good luck
Topic Starter
-Xephyr-
Trust's Mod Reply

Trust wrote:

from queue,

red = unrankable
blue = highly recommended

[General]
  1. Set a preview point for your mapset ~ Got it.
  2. Remove aran from the tags as it already appears under Artist ~ Got it.
[Perplexing]

1. 00:01:148 - Delete this green line and set your timing point to 60 vol. as it's currently inheriting 100% volume ~ Yup.
  2. 00:21:494 (4) - If you intend to rank, this kind of overmap when there's only 1/2 audible in the background music wont make it past any bn/qat. Would highly recommended replacing this. There is a drum roll that does go that fast, but the loud hitsounds make it so you can't hear it. The roll goes from 8th to 16th to 32nd notes and you can hear that if you take out the sliders, but you're right you can't hear it with the hitsounds. Not really sure if I need to lower the hitsounds very low or just remap it, so I'll probably ask for a second opinion at some point.
  3. 00:23:218 (8) - Given the emphasis on this note on the song I don't feel like having this stacked really captures that emphasis. Consider unstacking and adding a NC to this circle. ~ Yeah, you're right. I remapped it so the downbeat is a NC and has a higher spacing for emphasis.
    01:05:632 (13) - Same issue as earlier ~ Same as earlier as well, there is a fast drum roll here but the hitsounds mask it. Will make a decision later on this.
  4. 01:05:977 (1) - Not a visually appealing curve imo. Try to curve this like you did at 03:18:391 (1) - ~ Tried to smooth it out more symmetrically, hopefully looks better like that.
    02:35:632 (1) - The normal-whistle seems out of place and sounds strange to hear right before the calm section of the song. Perhaps just use a finish on this ~ That was a mistake, nice catch, thank you.
  5. 03:18:046 (13) - Same about the overmap ~ ^^^
  6. 03:36:494 (3) - A bit unsual this isn't quite stacked with 03:36:322 (1,2) - , probably not intentional? ~ Yup, just a mistake.

Just a few suggestions to get you started. Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into that overmap issue. For now I changed them to 16th note repeating sliders just to see how it turns out, but the first one still bugs me that it doesn't go up in speed.
Mir
Hi, M4M return!

[ General]
  1. Audio quality is 128kbps, maximum rankable is 192kbps if you can find a better MP3.
  2. Your background is TINY. You can have up to 1920x1080, so use that to your advantage!

[ Perplexing]
  1. The finish spam hitsounding is very distracting throughout the map. I really think you should reconsider how you use finishes. Generally they mark big changes in the music or if the song contains a finish at a point you'd make a hitsound of it there. Atm they're just everywhere and it sounds bad in all honesty.
  2. 00:01:150 (1,4,5) - Throughout the intro you should try to make spacing like this equal in distance. Right now the blanket is too close to the circle and looks weird.
  3. 00:04:425 (4,7) - Try to avoid overlapping things like this unless it's consistent in distance every time. If you look at the other patterns like this, they vary in distance and makes it look displeasing.
  4. 00:50:805 (1,2,3) - Distance of 1 and 3 from 2 isn't equal and the blankets are off on both sides. You should blanket one side and then copy the slider, flip it, and just blanket the other side with the same slider.
  5. 01:02:529 (5,6,7) - These triples in this whole section aren't in the song so i don't think they need to exist in the map either. Would work fine as two circles. // 01:43:908 (1,2,3) - In this combo too. // 01:49:425 (1,2,3) -
  6. 01:05:632 (13) - There should be another of these at 01:05:287 (9) - since the sound actually starts there. // 03:17:701 (9) -
  7. 01:05:977 (1) - This slider skipping the most powerful sound in the song in this drop is really... just, bad. I recommend shortening the slider and mapping the downbeat out with another slider. // 03:18:391 (1) -
  8. 01:12:874 - Feels awkward to skip this when you mapped it before at 01:10:115 (1) -
  9. 01:29:425 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) - Stream is overmapped and doesn't exist in the song, please don't do this, it's misrepresenting the song. :c // 01:40:460 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) -
  10. 01:36:322 (5,6,7,8) - Would make more sense to ctrl+g these both at once for rhythm change because the slider skips the triple and the triple skips the lead. // 01:47:356 (5,6,7,8) -
  11. 01:51:667 (2,4,5) - Try to make equal distance, it will look better, trust me.
  12. 01:53:908 (5) - Two chop sounds are more noticeable here so you could make this with two circles instead.
  13. 03:03:218 (1,2,3) - Fix this pattern as I showed you above and if any more of these exist go fix them too // 03:05:977 (1,2,3) -
  14. From here it seems like concepts repeat in the map (which is good in theory) so just apply these to the rest of the map. Also the general point below is definitely worth considering as the map as it stands is very overmapped - to the point where it's not rankable.
The whole map has overmapped triples, streams, circles, and just doesn't follow the song at all. Examples: 02:34:598 (3,4,5,6,7,8) - no 1/4 in the song, but there's a stream. // 02:20:460 (1,2,3,4,5). 02:21:839 (1,2,3) - no triples here in the song, yet you mapped one for some reason and these triples are everywhere. 02:08:218 (2) - There's no sound in the rhythm distinct at this point to map to, you should make 02:08:046 (1,2) - a slider if anything. These persist everywhere and if you asked me to find more I could list you at least 10 overmapped triples and 3 other streams that are overmapped.

I don't want to be that guy, but a remap is probably the easiest way to fix all of these issues.

Good luck!
Topic Starter
-Xephyr-

Mir wrote:

Hi, M4M return!

[ General]
  1. Audio quality is 128kbps, maximum rankable is 192kbps if you can find a better MP3. I'll see what I can do, if possible.
  2. Your background is TINY. You can have up to 1920x1080, so use that to your advantage! Same thing I"ll see what I can do about that.

[ Perplexing]
  1. The finish spam hitsounding is very distracting throughout the map. I really think you should reconsider how you use finishes. Generally they mark big changes in the music or if the song contains a finish at a point you'd make a hitsound of it there. Atm they're just everywhere and it sounds bad in all honesty. Looking back, agreed. It probably sounds fine to me since I use loud/obnoxious metallic hitsounds when I play normally. I'll attempt to fix this.
  2. 00:01:150 (1,4,5) - Throughout the intro you should try to make spacing like this equal in distance. Right now the blanket is too close to the circle and looks weird. Agreed, there's no reason for an increase in spacing there. I think I did it to try and organize things but it ended up not working out obviously.
  3. 00:04:425 (4,7) - Try to avoid overlapping things like this unless it's consistent in distance every time. If you look at the other patterns like this, they vary in distance and makes it look displeasing. Yup, I think I ran out of room in the corner when I tried to repeat the pattern. This will change when I make everything equal spacing probably.
  4. 00:50:805 (1,2,3) - Distance of 1 and 3 from 2 isn't equal and the blankets are off on both sides. You should blanket one side and then copy the slider, flip it, and just blanket the other side with the same slider. Fixed what you said, realized the pattern after was absolute crap as well. Fixed the best I could.
  5. 01:02:529 (5,6,7) - These triples in this whole section aren't in the song so i don't think they need to exist in the map either. Would work fine as two circles. // 01:43:908 (1,2,3) - In this combo too. // 01:49:425 (1,2,3) - Correct. Fixed.
  6. 01:05:632 (13) - There should be another of these at 01:05:287 (9) - since the sound actually starts there. // 03:17:701 (9) - Agreed. Fixed.
  7. 01:05:977 (1) - This slider skipping the most powerful sound in the song in this drop is really... just, bad. I recommend shortening the slider and mapping the downbeat out with another slider. // 03:18:391 (1) - I thought I'd try something clever but someone saying that makes me realize that it's really dumb, yeah. Attempted to fix.
  8. 01:12:874 - Feels awkward to skip this when you mapped it before at 01:10:115 (1) - This is skipped because it is completely silent, no held note. In the other ones you can hear the fade away.
  9. 01:29:425 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) - Stream is overmapped and doesn't exist in the song, please don't do this, it's misrepresenting the song. :c // 01:40:460 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) - I somewhat agree, but how else do you map a crescendo for this? I only used the streams instead of the slow sliders on the woman's breath because there was a noticeable crescendo going into the next section. I don't know how else I would map this, I can't have a slider change speeds as it goes as that is unrankable.
  10. 01:36:322 (5,6,7,8) - Would make more sense to ctrl+g these both at once for rhythm change because the slider skips the triple and the triple skips the lead. // 01:47:356 (5,6,7,8) - I sort of see what you're saying. The first one makes more sense than the second, fixed as best I could. I removed the triples to attempt to fix what you said below the timestamps.
  11. 01:51:667 (2,4,5) - Try to make equal distance, it will look better, trust me. Fixed as best I could.
  12. 01:53:908 (5) - Two chop sounds are more noticeable here so you could make this with two circles instead. Agreed, that's a big problem I'm seeing with my rhythm structure going back to this. I think it would take too much remapping to fix right this moment so not fixed, but definitely kept in mind.
  13. 03:03:218 (1,2,3) - Fix this pattern as I showed you above and if any more of these exist go fix them too // 03:05:977 (1,2,3) - Tried to fix.
  14. From here it seems like concepts repeat in the map (which is good in theory) so just apply these to the rest of the map. Also the general point below is definitely worth considering as the map as it stands is very overmapped - to the point where it's not rankable.
Agreed.

The whole map has overmapped triples, streams, circles, and just doesn't follow the song at all. Examples: 02:34:598 (3,4,5,6,7,8) - no 1/4 in the song, but there's a stream. // 02:20:460 (1,2,3,4,5). 02:21:839 (1,2,3) - no triples here in the song, yet you mapped one for some reason and these triples are everywhere. 02:08:218 (2) - There's no sound in the rhythm distinct at this point to map to, you should make 02:08:046 (1,2) - a slider if anything. These persist everywhere and if you asked me to find more I could list you at least 10 overmapped triples and 3 other streams that are overmapped.

I don't want to be that guy, but a remap is probably the easiest way to fix all of these issues. Agreed.

Good luck!
Responding to the bottom:
Yup, you're right, the map is garbage. I'm not being passive-aggressive at all, just made me realize how bad my organization and patterns are.
As an experiment I took out every single triplet and most streams, and yeah it makes way more sense. I knew the triplets were off and played really strangely, but I didn't know how else to add emphasis to the stronger part of the song at the time without re-spacing everything prior. Most likely requires decreased spacing before the Kiai portion so that part can pack more punch.

Overall yeah I'll have to remap it. I can't fix this.

It's just disheartening because when I found this song, told myself I'll stick to the basics since it is such a basic song, and ended up with an overmapped, not rhythmically correct song anyway. I personally don't enjoy playing simple, jump-oriented maps so that preference leaks over into what I think is rhythmically correct.

If I get the motivation to remap, could I possibly touch base with you in-game to see if the re-map is worth anything after I make some progress?

Appreciate it.
Mir
Definitely find me. I'll be glad to go into more depth about it in irc.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.