forum

Difficulty Reading Faster Patterns

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yip
I've been playing 4k mania for about a month now, and I've gotten to the point where I can consistently ~A-S 3* maps.

4k is getting to where I find it incredibly hard to read the high density/high bpm maps. (Of which most are from what I find)
I've heard that playing 7k can help with reading/independence, while 4k increases speed and stamina.
Where I'm at, should I just grind it out until its possible for me? or take the time and learn 7k? (if it would even help?)

From what I can tell, my speed is fine, and I have no trouble hitting accurately.

I don't really care about my ranks or pp just overall improvement, and would like to figure out the most efficient way for me. :)

Any suggestions/criticisms are appreciated! :P
ReTLoM
7k dose not help to play 4k at all :X it is true 7k is more about controlling you fingers and 4k about the speed in later stages.

if you want to play only 4k than stick to it until you can read it. iam a 7k player and i almost never play 4k i was able to play stuff around 4-5* to an S in 4k while my Thumb was Broken because of an incident and had to play 4k for 6 month but now i stick to 7k for 5 month again and my 4k Skill is decreasing pretty fast because i lose my finger speed :)

Reading progression is like this
1. you start to encounter a new pattern
2. You try to hit it well put its to fast // complicated for you
3. You can see it and hit it but still need to "think" very short about it even something like "ohh a Stair" is way to much thinking
4. Pure muscle memory you dont think you just press it at this point you can press it even at speed you never thought about it will be possible

Conclusion if something is to fast for you you dont have it in your muscle memory the only thing that helps is playing more and more and more :)
Yyorshire
From my experience 3 stars is about where I hit a roadblock in 4k because that's streams of notes started to pop up more often, and it took a while to get used to them.

7k will help you with reading although it's not very useful in 4k since 7k is more about complex patterns whereas 4k is more about density, so the best way to get better at 4k is to simply play more 4k. With enough time you'll get used to the streams that pop up around 3 stars, and the best way to improve at these patterns is to play them a lot.

ReTLoM wrote:

Conclusion if something is to fast for you you dont have it in your muscle memory the only thing that helps is playing more and more and more :)
Also sorry if my writing is disjointed, I just woke up :lol:
Soul Evans
You can probably HT 4* maps to be able to learn patterns step by step in order for you to learn

either that or you may have specific patterns you can't read (jacks streams Jumpstreams LNs etc)

so i'd recommend trying those and see if you can benefit your reading, also one thing worth noting is that you can try and watch alot of replays/livestreams, it helped me out with reading a ton.
nadavv
7k helping in 4k is a fucking lie.

4k actually helps in 7k (speed wise) but 7k wont help you read AT ALL
snoverpk_old
unless you're at a top level, where 7k does seem to be helping with 4k
johnmedina999
Another thing that might help is if you increase your scroll speed. Bump it up one or two at a time until you start feeling a bit uncomfortable, then practice. Going from 10 BPM to 24 fixed really helped me.
yetii
when i started playing 7k, after a long session, switching back to 4k right after significantly boosted my reading skills for a short time period. However, that only happened when i tried reading 7k maps that were too hard for my skill level thus forcing my brain to 'git gud' at reading. Once my brain realised it's playing 4k again it just switches off that mode but I could read better for a brief moment
ArcherLove
funny thing my 4K skill is boosted form playing taiko ..

but yes 7K do help for stamina. (if you are playing stamina maps of course)
ReTLoM

ArcherLove wrote:

funny thing my 4K skill is boosted form playing taiko ..

but yes 7K do help for stamina. (if you are playing stamina maps of course)

yes BUT stamina maps in 7k are insane hard he need at least a year+ to reach that skill lvl when they are maped properly not like Cyberspark lvl 50 but yeah it is crazy stamina + hold the rhythem after 3 min my arms are burning on it :X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ4XJahdz3w
nadavv
forgot to mention in my last comment that you should change your columnsize to 64 64 64 64 to help you read way better
Veracion
in short, if you want to become better at 4k, just keep playing, you'll get better in time