forum

I started to making capacitive touch keypad for osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
zzqWilliam
Hi! I'm zzqWilliam and I want to share my latest project - osu capacitive touch keypad!

It has 2 capacitive sensor touch buttons - imo works better than mechanical ones :)
It isn't loud, you don't need much stamina to play and there's no needed strength to put into turning button on.
Built on arduino-clone signed Pro Micro.

I guess I'm the very first person who made it and want to sell :D
Well, what should I say more? Any questions? xD

I'm gonna try to sell it on ETSY
AstraeaZero
Very interesting idea :D
Radusek
Such a nice project, wish you good luck with it :D
-NeBu-
would like to try this out :d
o x
Looks really cool, would be interesting to see a larger version that supports 4 keys
Nitrous
Microcontroller projects are always fun!
Topic Starter
zzqWilliam
Cawub, you mean for 4k mania/taiko right? I'll probably try to make one and see how it works, especially when you're not the first person who asked about it :D
Dakotaz_old
RECOMMENDED
IMO the idea itself is brilliant. Also I have another keyboard from zzq (which you can see on my profile page below "Keyboard" spoiler". Playing on it is a true pleasure, but that old keyboard's quality is nothing compared to what William makes now, I guarantee! Also I would really like to try the Touch one.
[Haku]
I fucking want it xD
Topic Starter
zzqWilliam
So think about buying it :3
I Give Up
Tapping on desk wondering how easy it would be to play osu without springs or membrane buttons? My thoughts exactly :D

Next you need to work on one that is less than 5mm thick, then I'll buy 2.
[Haku]

zzqWilliam wrote:

So think about buying it :3
I'm thinking :3
Can I have all the dimensions? Included the dimensions of the "key" and the distance between them?
Topic Starter
zzqWilliam
49,5x64,5x17,5 (in millimeters), distance between keys is about 5mm and keys are 20x20 (also in mm). But you know, it's totally handmade so distance between keys and their dimensions can't be exactly 5mm and 20x20 in every piece.

KukiMonster - doesn't seem like a bad idea but I'm not sure if it'll be possible to find a case for this :P
[Haku]

zzqWilliam wrote:

49,5x64,5x17,5 (in millimeters), distance between keys is about 5mm and keys are 20x20 (also in mm). But you know, it's totally handmade so distance between keys and their dimensions can't be exactly 5mm and 20x20 in every piece.
Haha trust me, as a clockmaker I know it's possible to make something by hand with less than 0.1 mm tolerance with the right tool xD
But ofc I get your point. I will probably by it ^^
Topic Starter
zzqWilliam
So you're probably much better in handmade stuff than me (or maybe you have better tools, I guess my tools are very simple and daily-use, maybe if I gain some money I'll put it into better stuff to increase the quality of my work) xD But you know, these are also first pieces, I need to practise this and I hope that after making over a dozen pieces it'll be much better and I'll be able to do it much more precisely. I'm trying my bests anyway and it's not like I'm doing it without any care :)
[Haku]
I learned to make thing for years at school and it's my job. I have professional tools as well. Don't worry I don't expect you to produce something that perfect xD

Edit : and if I get one you will probably get a quick review on my YouTube channel in the video I will make about keyboard ^^
Topic Starter
zzqWilliam
But you have to know that every new piece is much better than previous. I only hope that the very first people who bought will think as you do and they'll focus more how it works not exactly how it looks. Can't say that these first keypads are terrible-looking or smth, it's not that bad, but they don't look exactly as I wanted (the only really bad one was prototype which I don't even want to show xD). In Poland we have sentence "practise makes you master" and I already see it working :D

It'll be pleasure if you'll do this! Every opinion/criticism is very important for me, I can learn many from stuff like that and make my work better and better :D
[Haku]
We have similar sentence in French to, and it's very true you will improve over time.
I hope shipping isn't to expensive to France (it's close so it shouldn't be).
Another question, can I "press" both "key" at the same time without problems?

I just started my channel so I'm going into more basic stuff for now but video about keyboard will be done. Also it' s all in French but I will add subtitle ^^ (I will link you it when done)
Topic Starter
zzqWilliam
Registered Priority mail which they provide to deliever within 3 days in europe and 5 days everywhere else and it has obviously available tracking costs approx. 6-7€.

Yeah, obviously you can press both keys at the same time, no problems with that.
[Haku]
I order it after my work then, ;)
Topic Starter
zzqWilliam

Cawub wrote:

Looks really cool, would be interesting to see a larger version that supports 4 keys

Cawub, I did it :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeXAkz9-c1Y
algiuxas
I made it myself! That's really easy! :)
A tutorial which may seem complex, but it explains many stuff, which I haven't even read:
https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/Capa ... n.CapSense

To make it, it may cost you $4 (without shipping parts):
Arduino cheap chinese clone: $3
Two 1 megaohm resistors in total about $0.30
PCB to solder stuff: $0.10
Wires and some other stuff: $0.56
Two metal things to use as keys: $0.04 (I use 2 units of 2 euro cents, I soldered them to pcb lol, i'll definetly change it later on)

And here you go! You have bare bones capacitive touch keypad!

You may need soldering gun and soldering iron.

YOU WILL NEED SOME PROGRAMMING KNOWLEDGE.

It's really hard playing with it for a first time for me. Maybe because of the design of the keypad... I don't have any 3D printer, but maybe I.T. teacher will print it for me, school has 3D printer :P