forum

[duplicate] Forum Spam Prevention

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Adorn

In this photo on a game forum I use, when adding a reply before someone has replied after you, your response is automatically added to your first one.
I feel like, if this could be implemented, it would definitely help cut back on double/triple posting and whatnot.
The only downside to this, though, is that if you have an art gallery (like me) you can't double post, so I have to delete my first message and then repost. Obviously, we don't have that option here so it could maybe be excluded in subforums where double posting is okay.
Apologies in advance if this has been requested, but I didn't find anything like this and it's a very specific spam prevention method.
o x
I don't know about this. I mean the idea is alright but I don't think it would be the best solution. New information can be so easily overlooked, How the forums are right now it would be really hard to scroll between users to see what was said and what conversation is had. For example in the Help Forum, when a user is replying to solutions you can see the conversation being made and the exchange of information, with your request that would be nearly impossible to do without the user quoting the person they are replying to. And you can't really have something that automatically quotes the person above you because that could turn into a big mess when lots of people post at once.
Sandy Hoey
I think Vee is saying that this would happen if no one has replied to you, meaning that there can still be exchanges between people. But as soon as you try and double post the two post will automatically combine
Topic Starter
Adorn

Sandy Hoey wrote:

I think Vee is saying that this would happen if no one has replied to you, meaning that there can still be exchanges between people. But as soon as you try and double post the two post will automatically combine
This.
Lyawi
You're already not able to double post in a short time on new.ppy.sh:

Also: https://github.com/ppy/osu-web/issues/31
Sandy Hoey
That happens on the old website as well. But it still doesn't stop people from double posting. The time you have to wait is like 20 seconds
o x
In the github post the example given is disallowing the user to double post for a certain number of days, so I'm sure waiting for new.ppy.sh will fix things
Topic Starter
Adorn
Yeah, my method is a lot different from that and still very relevant to ask for. Not allowing a user to double post for a certain period is not the same as what I'm suggesting which is, in my opinion, far better than that.
My method literally eliminates ALL double posting, it doesn't give them a certain amount of time before they can double post.
guro
You seem to forget there is "productive" double posting, such as bumping your modding queue and stuff. Having no way to do that would be kinda toxic towards a number of users. Your idea might be okay in theory, but in reality it most likely make the forum less enjoyable. Plus, not all double posts are spam per definition
Topic Starter
Adorn

521 wrote:

You seem to forget there is "productive" double posting, such as bumping your modding queue and stuff. Having no way to do that would be kinda toxic towards a number of users. Your idea might be okay in theory, but in reality it most likely make the forum less enjoyable. Plus, not all double posts are spam per definition
I don't think you fully read my post.
I did say that some subforums could be excluded where double posting is necessary. I even mentioned that I have an art gallery where double posting is something that I would need to be able to do.
guro

Flannel wrote:

521 wrote:

I don't think you fully read my post.
I did say that some subforums could be excluded where double posting is necessary. I even mentioned that I have an art gallery where double posting is something that I would need to be able to do.
Where is it unnecessary in every single case though
o x
Help forum, G&R, Skinning. Almost anywhere that doesn't have a reason to double post.
Topic Starter
Adorn
It's common sense and (from what I've seen) most subforums that allow double posting, say it in the rules.
Kao
If this would happen, I think it would happen in the new.ppy when it officially gets launched.
When you press "post" in the forum, it automatically goes into edit mode, which the new.ppy is capable of edit without having to go to a new page.
So it you clicked into the box where you reply, when no one has replied before you
Would automatically launch an edit of the last post you've made.
Topic Starter
Adorn

Kao wrote:

If this would happen, I think it would happen in the new.ppy when it officially gets launched.
When you press "post" in the forum, it automatically goes into edit mode, which the new.ppy is capable of edit without having to go to a new page.
So it you clicked into the box where you reply, when no one has replied before you
Would automatically launch an edit of the last post you've made.
That's technically what happens in the forum I use but not exactly.
Same difference though, but this way is less complicated.
Deimos
Topic Starter
Adorn
Neat, thanks.
Pawsu
Duplicate 'n stuff thanks to Deimos.