forum

[Hitsounds] Pitch Adjustment per Object/Timing Section

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Azure_Kite
I've been thinking recently as to how I could improve my Beatmaps, and a thought that has recently occurred to me is "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we could change the Pitch of individual hitsounds, so that they follow the pitch of the music."

I'm not sure whether this is feasible, or whether it would be a drain on the PC using it, but Allow me to explain my madness.

If, for example, you were to place a Piano hitsound in your map which uses a C Note, I'm thinking osu! should be able to adjust that up and down pitch, to get the full range of notes. I'm thinking this would work best with the ability to modify this Per Note, but I'm thinking it may be easier to implement if it's done on a Per Timing Section basis.

The way this would be implemented (in my mind) is simple. Personally, I would want to limit it to CDEFGABCDEFGABC, where C is the original hitsound. This way, it could have the full range of hitsounds both up and down the scale, and the original Hitsound shouldn't get too distorted at either extreme.

Feedback/Suggestions/Developer input would be appreciated.
dkun
Not big myself on hitsounds, but this would make future maps very... interesting to say the least.

But I have no stars, so take this post as a "I support this request!"
Shiirn
Seeing as this is a game more based on timing rather than actually telling the volume / pitch of a certain note, I'm actually against this. For one, it would require the mapper to have an extremly good ear for pitch, while also taking way too much work for what will be completely negligible to 90% of players.

If the pitch of a standard hitsound is that far off or sounds that strange, a mapper can always change the pitch of the wav on their own (I for one considered increasing the speed without pitch of all of the normal hitsounds for chipscape simply because it was so fast).

Not to mention that changing the volume of hitsounds already changes the pitch a decent amount.
Torran
Volume and pitch go hand in hand.

Support~!
Soaprman
I generally support new mapping features, and I could see this one being used for great things (if quite rarely). Support.

Just don't let "you must use pitch-shifted hitsounds" sneak into the ranking requirements. :P
Jarby
Honestly, I would love this; it's a great little feature that adds a new layer to hitsounding. And to be realistic, I'm not afraid of maps getting ranked with bad pitch effects that don't match anything because it is usually very obvious where discordancy occurs, even to people that have no musical background. Beyond that, it wouldn't necessarily be about trying to mimic a melody with a single pitch shifted piano note sample, for example, but with basic two tone percussion rhythms as another possibility, there is a lot more to work with.

As for actual implementation, I can see note selections appearing as a window on the hitsound boxes (in the same style as the recent new combo colour change thing) being the best way to handle it. Setting it on inherited timing sections could make this very time consuming in some cases, so I'm against that.
Mashley
Support. I'd like to see this with a panel to enable changing hitsound volume and sampleset without opening the timing panel, but I don't know how feasible that is.
Zekira
"Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we could change the Pitch of individual hitsounds, so that they follow the pitch of the music."
Especially for hitsounding an entire song to follow the piano riff! :D
Topic Starter
Azure_Kite

Zekira wrote:

"Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we could change the Pitch of individual hitsounds, so that they follow the pitch of the music."
Especially for hitsounding an entire song to follow the piano riff! :D

To be honest, that's the only way I would have it :D
mm201
Unlimited custom overrides is planned and is a superset of this request. Doing it this way would have the annoying side-effect of pitch transposing the drum hit sounds & stuff as well.
Zekira
Unlimited custom overrides is planned.
I can hitsound a Pop'n song?! :D ?!
Topic Starter
Azure_Kite
Well now; that's even better.

Hopefully this will be implemented soon :D
Jarby

mm201 wrote:

Unlimited custom overrides is planned and is a superset of this request. Doing it this way would have the annoying side-effect of pitch transposing the drum hit sounds & stuff as well.
So what you're saying is that we'd have to use a new inherited timing section with a custom override for every time a hitsound changes pitch beyond the 3 slots you're given for custom sounds per override? I'm not liking that.
mm201
Pitch change is arbitrary, and I see no reason to give it special treatment. I would rather look for a way to mix samplesets without green lines or make adding green lines for sampleset changes super easy.
Jarby

mm201 wrote:

Pitch change is arbitrary, and I see no reason to give it special treatment. I would rather look for a way to mix samplesets without green lines or make adding green lines for sampleset changes super easy.
Well, yes, a way to change everything easily would be best. Good luck with that.