forum

Winter 2017 Anime First Impressions Chart

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Happy New Year, now get ready to start the new season and hope 2017 is better than 2016.

As always, post your impressions here on how you feel about the first episode or two of a series airing this season.
The list used for what is airing this season is here.

Most of you know, but for the new peoples:
Green is liked
Blue is neutral on
Red is disliked

Fill out your impressions into the form here
And see results here

Two series decided they'd be added 3 days ago and yesterday, so they are added to the bottom. Also something got deleted from the airing list but I don't feel like looking for it and removing it.

EDIT: Fate/Grand Order aired on the 31st, but it's something popular enough that people will actually watch, so it's now added to the bottom of the form.
Meah
Masamune-kun no Revenge: I've read the manga and I think this anime's gonna be good. Protagonist working hard for revenge because of some misunderstanding. Ep. airs in 3 days, gotta wait for this one ♥

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2: I've got nothing to say about this anymore. Oh wait... more EXPLOSIONS!
Foxtrot
ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka - Hey, it's Madhouse and it has an interesting synopsis. Why not.

Little Witch Academia (TV) - I'VE BEEN WAITING

Youjo Senki - Read first chapter and I liked it. I'm excited to watch it.

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maidragon - Don't judge me

Kizumonogatari III - Reiketsu-hen - Haven't watched the other two movies so I don't know if the trilogy is worth watching or not, but still something worth mentioning.

Masamune-kun no Revenge - Probably gonna watch this when bored

Rewrite / 2nd Season Moon-Hen/Terra-Hen - Probably gonna end up watching this because my SO really likes the series
Meah
Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-Bu: This anime is worth watching for, Yowamushi Pedal: NEW GENERATION is very good enough so I am expecting high on this one.

Urara Meirochou : Comedy + Slice of Life, artworks looks good too. But wtf is a diviner?

SUPER LOVERS 2 : No!
Faust
Chart looks abysmal as always.

Little Witch Academia and Masamune's Revenge are what I take. Kizu part 3 is obligatory.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Expecting to only keep up with Little Witch Academia, Tales of Zesteria the X 2 (since ufotable), and hoping to like Masamune-kun no Revenge. I marked a decent amount to try and watch, but I'm most likely just giving myself false hope.

Youjo Senki looks interesting, and I want to like Kobayashi-san Chi no Maidragon because KyoAni and people keep hyping it.
Luqanted
Masamune-kun no Revenge: the voice actors fitted the characters in this series and so far the manga is great. this anime will probably get amazing reviews by other people.

what a way to start the year <3 <3
blissfulyoshi
Well I'm pretty hyped for this season considering that Kyoani is doing Maidragon, and Doga Kobo is doing Gabriel Dropout, but beyond that, I'm not sure what else I'll watch. There are plenty of titles I know of the source material from, but we'll see how that turns out.

For now, I'm just going to review the stuff that I watched the last few days, even though 2 of them aren't on the list.

Elsword: El Lady: I didn't realize that Korean companies still did full blown shows, but here we are with a low budget action series based on an MMO. For some reason, frames seemed like they were lagging every few seconds. Not sure if it is a problem with the stream of the source, but the combination of that, boring action, questionable voice acting, and nothing else of real appeal, made this show an easy drop.

Fate / Grand Order -First Order-: (It aired on New Year's Eve, right before Midnight striked, so I'm just going to put this here) A solid introduction to the series. While it definitely wasn't anything amazing, a passable plot with passable action scenes and plenty of cameos for players made it a fun watch. (Why Gudako appeared sane is a question for a different time though?)

Koro-sensei Quest!: A fairly ugly gag take on Ansatsu Kyoushitsu with not very funny jokes. Dropped.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Well I'm pretty hyped for this season considering that Kyoani is doing Maidragon, and Doga Kobo is doing Gabriel Dropout, but beyond that, I'm not sure what else I'll watch. There are plenty of titles I know of the source material from, but we'll see how that turns out.

For now, I'm just going to review the stuff that I watched the last few days, even though 2 of them aren't on the list.

Elsword: El Lady: I didn't realize that Korean companies still did full blown shows, but here we are with a low budget action series based on an MMO. For some reason, frames seemed like they were lagging every few seconds. Not sure if it is a problem with the stream of the source, but the combination of that, boring action, questionable voice acting, and nothing else of real appeal, made this show an easy drop.

Fate / Grand Order -First Order-: (It aired on New Year's Eve, right before Midnight striked, so I'm just going to put this here) A solid introduction to the series. While it definitely wasn't anything amazing, a passable plot with passable action scenes and plenty of cameos for players made it a fun watch. (Why Gudako appeared sane is a question for a different time though?)

Koro-sensei Quest!: A fairly ugly gag take on Ansatsu Kyoushitsu with not very funny jokes. Dropped.
Adding Fate/Grand Order to the list in a moment since it's something popular enough that more than 0 people will watch.

EDIT: Added to the list now
blissfulyoshi

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Adding Fate/Grand Order to the list in a moment since it's something popular enough that more than 0 people will watch.

EDIT: Added to the list now
Thanks. Wasn't sure since it was before the new year, but I think most people in this thread watched it after the new year.
Luqanted
why aren't you guys mentioning Kuzu no Honkai :v

lmao, the PV of Kuzu no Honkai is so misleading, the manga itself is so lmao
anyway, I'm also gonna expect some good thing about this series 'cause some of the scenes are :^)
Kumiko Oumae
qq
DakeDekaane
How are you colouring stuff if it hasn't aired yet??

Looking forward Little Witch Academia, Tales of Zestiria and Chaos;Child mainly. The rest doesn't look very interesting for me, I'll keep watching this thread to hunt a few more series.
blissfulyoshi
Choboraunyopomi Gekijou Dai San Maku Ai Mai Mii: Surgical Friends: Another short that I didn't find amusing. Nothing new for me, maybe it might click for you.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Fate/Grand Order -First Order-: Thought I would be turned off by the animation since it isn't ufotable doing something of the Fate series for once, but Lay-duce still did a great job with the characters, environment, and animation overall. A good adaptation for being based on a mobile game.
Shurelia

Luqanted wrote:

why aren't you guys mentioning Kuzu no Honkai :v

lmao, the PV of Kuzu no Honkai is so misleading, the manga itself is so lmao
anyway, I'm also gonna expect some good thing about this series 'cause some of the scenes are :^)
I'm quite disappointed from this anime.

It feels like Toradora but with better graphic and character. *ye I don't like toradora in general
DakeDekaane
Fate/Grand Order -First Order-: I'm not really convinced to say this was good, it was enjoyable tho. Everything looked great except for battles, although the animation was nice, I feel they lacked the impact to get excited about them. Finally Shinji had a good role! And we had the Hound of Culain stealing the protagonism, again (yay).
blissfulyoshi
Akiba's Trip The Animation: On one hand, there are some solid action scenes in this, but in return, we have slightly dull and undetailed character models. Admittedly not every action scene is great, but it is the few good ones that count and enthrall the user. Beyond that, we have questionable humor and plot, so I'm a bit on the fence but will probably continue watching. (The YuiKaori sadly failed to impress me, but I do slightly like the op since I enjoy Earphones fast singing)
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
AKIBA' S TRIP: THE ANIMATION: Overall good animation and interesting action scenes. The backgrounds tho were more impressive than the characters, they look more like something you'd see in someone's hentai comic. Most of the plot for the first episode felt like it was at a stand-still and never really got anywhere, but someone who's played the game could probably disagree with that.
blissfulyoshi
Masamune-kun no Revenge: Silver Link's return to a more drama focused series, but sadly the source material isn't that great. I don't remember how the manga went, but it did feel different for better or worse. Regardless, the show's humor didn't really catch on with me, and since I know the manga's plot, nothing about the plot really interest me. However, the show has some fairly detailed backgrounds with Silver Link's typical coloring scheme, and while I said nothing good about it, it didn't bore me to tears. I'll just keep on watching for now (and hope Ogura Yui gets a larger role in the anime version)
Rio-
Akiba's Trip The Animation - Overall is above-decent I think. The Art is quite funky and matches the surrounding I think. But I can't really see if the Story is good or not in the first Episode, but for now It's above decent cuz' I kinda like every aspect of it but nothing greater for now.

Masamune-kun no Revenge - At first I thought It might me "Oh... Another RomCom Anime?" (Haven't read the manga yet). But after seeing the first Episode of It, It's actually pretty good. The Art is great and most the Characters have this diverse personalities (imo).

Also Totsuka Saika 2.0, I mean like really? Cute boy/Trap is a thing now?... But nonetheless the First Episode is great.

Fate/Grand Order -First Order-- It's actually a great adaption of A Mobile Game. So It's the prequel of the Original Mobile game or some sort (or Fate/Apocrypha)? I don't really play it but I kinda read it a bit and wanted to play it if I have a good Phone... And Lay-duce did a great job here, The Animation is great (still a little bit off than the one by Ufotable, but They did a good job) and plenty of cameos from other Fate series made it fun to watch (Chulainn as Caster really? I don't really expect that lol). It's great overall.
Luqanted
Koro-sensei Quest!, it would be honestly better if they just made a story about Nagisa and others smh.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Masamune-kun no Revenge: I want to really like this, but this feels like it's going to be a show without much meat. It seems like it wants to throw in a bunch of characters from the beginning to get you interested, and then it's going to be super slow through the rest of the series. Main bitch, the loli, and the sister, are the only characters that really catch any interest in me (I already think main dude is a piece of shit), and none of the classmates have any personality to them, maybe they will later, but throwing so many into one episode and trying to make them relevant didn't work too well.
DakeDekaane
Masamune-kun no Revenge: Generic characters and interactions. It isn't really appealing, but not boring or terrible, probably I'll keep watching as a filler.

Koro-sensei Q!: Oh boy, I'm a hard fan of Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, but this a bit over the board on randomness. Good thing it's a short.
Luqanted
Fuuka: I would probably watch this whenever I'm bored or anything. I like love triangles lel
Paxas_old
Gabriel Dropout
xxdeathx
Akiba Strip - osu needs more Emilia/Rie Takahashi. The ripping off clothes part is fun too but the rest is still not that clear.

Masamune-kun's Revenge - Heard the manga is popular. Anime is pretty interesting and fun to watch.

Seiren - Feels more serious than the other shows this season. Characters are pretty interesting.

Fuuka - Beginning scene was generic but the characters and progression afterwards are quite nice. Enjoyable to watch.

Schoolgirl Strikers - Shame that an entire main cast of famous seiyuus is wasted on this.

Urara Meirochou - Best one so far. Main character is incredibly cute and doesn't skimp on the lewd stuff too.
Rio-
Seiren - Pretty much if you enjoyed Amagami SS, I guess You'll enjoy this one too imo. Characters are pretty interesting and I like the Art design (obviously It was made by the same creator with Amagami SS too which with Art I liked). But so far that's It in the first episode, kind of looking to the later Episode but I don't really feel like It's that great so far...

Fuuka - First Episode kind of looks like a Generic Highschool Ecchi Anime (I was thinking to drop it, I mean like "Nudist Sisters" really?). But afterwards the characters development do pretty well and I guess It would be a good start for this season imo. And also I have a feeling it will be a good music-themed series later so why not?
(Also I've been spoiled by some guy about later parts, so I really have to watch it until the end lel... Haven't read the manga)
Rizevim

Luqanted wrote:

Fuuka: I would probably watch this whenever I'm bored or anything. I like love triangles lel
oh this anime will make you cry. :^)
want some spoiler? :D
blissfulyoshi
I'm really behind on shows for silly reasons, so going to be updating this post a fair bit:

Schoolgirl Strikers: Animation Channel: Since plot is pretty low on my concerns, I actually found this sort of enjoyable with the amazing seiyuu cast, some light humor, and passable action scenes (action scenes have gotten a lot better this season strangely). Admittedly, the detail of the art is sometimes lacking and the CG darkening is really annoying, but I want to see how far it goes.

Youjo Senki: It felt pretty weird to not start of the middle of the LN, but I guess it is nothing new. Yuuki Aoi is again being a magical girl with a bit of dark humor, great animations, and great backgrounds. How the plot will be told, I don't fully know, but everything else seems solid for now

Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen: Well, not sure why I'm trying to watch the sequal of a series I dropped both in manga in anime form, but here we are. For a shonen action series, this episode is pretty much devoid of action scenes besides a old lackluster flashback. On top of that, there is just a bunch of your typical melodrama that I find pretty boring. At least the animations of daily life and their surroundings are nice, but that is not going to get me to watch the show.

Demi-chan wa Kataritai: A solid adaptation of the light-hearted series. Animations were fine. They captured the jokes correctly. There is really not much to say. However, the art was a bit jarring in the fact that the characters have low detail (like in the manga) and the more detailed backgrounds, creating some weird meshing at times.

Seiren: It's Amagami all over again. Nothing too amazing, but the cast was quite fun and pretty sure I'll stay for the ride. (As long as none of the routes are incredibly boring)

Spiritpact: Like last season, some of the Chinese series are starting to be animated, and well this is the next in line. Sadly this sent very mixed messages, it has some awful animation, laggy frames, and basic art. Nothing to be impressed by there. Plot is incredibly simple and nothing special. The only saving grace of the show are the humorous responses by the MC every so often, but I would probably try to find the source material and read that instead of watching this.

Chain Chronicle: Haecceitas no Hikari: (For those that have watched the movie, this is just a replay of the 1st quarter of the movie with an op and ending thrown in. From what I can gather, the animation quality on the movie version is slightly better, so watch that version unless for some reason you want to watch the TV version) The next mobile game adaptation, except adapted into a 3 part movie that is further split up into a 12 episode anime series. From watching the movie, I'll say the plot is sort of confusing and probably requires you to play the game, but the action sequences are top notch and worth skimming the show for.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen: Rakugo has never been that entertaining for me. Hearing about the beauty of storytelling is definitely not something I would want to watch.
Rio-
Urara Meirochou - A Good Light series for this season I guess. Characters are cute (well, They're loli technically) and the comedy might be on par with Anime like Yuru Yuri imo (but with a little spice of Japanese Old Tradition).

Demi-chan wa Kataritai - Ever wanted to know how Demi-Human live a Highschool life? You might interested in this. The Animation are good and the Characters are interesting (especially for the Demi-Humans side).
Haruto
Masamune-kun no Revenge : super good, cute main characters and cool storyline, the graphic looks a bit familiar to... hmm, maybe... musaigen no phantom, yea. a bit same but kyoani still is the best best (y). looking forward to this anime btw. episode 1 intro is gya.

Havent watched that trickster anime or whatever its name is but seems like its a cool anime, might watch it later lol.
show more