forum

Should I consider changing my playstyle?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
voltroom
I've been playing osu! with alternating playstyle.
I alternate note by note between z and x keys.
However, I suck at stream and I think it's majorly because of my alternating playstyle.
I tried to adopt the single clicking playstyle in which you press one key majorly and alternate when it's streaming, and it didn't work well.
I am afraid if I will just not improve anymore from this playstyle because I am having hard time getting to 5* songs since they consist A LOT of streams.

Should I just keep practicing with my alternating playstyle or do a favor and switch to single clicking one?

Thanks for the advice!
vinnicci
Topic Starter
voltroom
So when would you say that it's 'the time' for 5* streams?
Maybe after like 1,500 pp?
Ninonuko
Switching your tapping style might take a very long time, don't change it too much, both playstyle work, alternate is faster but it could easily turns into mashing when you push yourself to the next level.
Don't look at the star diff, there's many type of streamy map out there and you might be able to play some of them. What do you mean by "A LOT of streams" is it a lot of long stream like tower of heaven, a lot of short stream which have a lot of transition between 1/2 and 1/4, or a lot of stream with slider in between?
Topic Starter
voltroom
Yeah I meant like the long streams like the towers of heaven.
I don't know why, but it seems like since I alternate all the time it's hard to adopt alternating faster when I stream.
Sandy Hoey
That kind of map is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the road. Just keep alternating for now, it will do you well and is just as valid as singletapping
Ninonuko

voltroom wrote:

Yeah I meant like the long streams like the towers of heaven.
I don't know why, but it seems like since I alternate all the time it's hard to adopt alternating faster when I stream.
Welp it's a habit you develop as alternate player I think, I don't have much to say about it but if you want to stick with single tap you need to break that habit and changing tapping style will take a long time.
Maybe you can start from playing doubles, triples or 5s before moving to long stream. Fixing your accuracy on rock, scissors and paper also good since that map have some triplet iirc.

Ninonuko wrote:

lot of long stream like tower of heaven,
I meant on extra diff, not heaven diff.
tfg50

voltroom wrote:

So when would you say that it's 'the time' for 5* streams?
Maybe after like 1,500 pp?
For me it was around 5k pp ;) . I had the same problem as you, I used to 100% alternate and my streaming stamina sucked. My way to fix it was changing my playstyle to singletapping but that was when I could already fc some 4* maps. I can't tell actually the exact difficulty because it was before this star rating existend and even before ppv2, but I got 3k pp on the first couple of weeks of ppv2 and at that time farming pp was WAY harder. Keep playing as you like, it's too soon for you to worry about stuff like this.
Topic Starter
voltroom
Thanks for your advices, but I have another concern which is about accuracy.
I tend to miss or have like a lot of 100s rather than 300s when I hit and I think it's because of my alternating playstyle.
Would you guys say just practice more and I'll be fine?
I heard a lot that alternating players tend to have less accuracy than the single tapping players.
tfg50

voltroom wrote:

Thanks for your advices, but I have another concern which is about accuracy.
I tend to miss or have like a lot of 100s rather than 300s when I hit and I think it's because of my alternating playstyle.
Would you guys say just practice more and I'll be fine?
I heard a lot that alternating players tend to have less accuracy than the single tapping players.
That's bs, those aren't alternating players. They are "controled spamming" players. If you try you can be really accurate while alternating but you need to focus a lot harder than single tapping players to reach this goal.

Edit: just look at peachick (his playstyle is a lot harder to be accurate than simply alternating) or some players like Bubbleman during owc (he carried the UK while mantaining the best acc by a lot).
Zain Sugieres
Look at Adamqs or rustbell
Kazutora
I used to have the same issue you did. It's not that you suck at streaming its that you most likely have a preference to one finger over the other. For me I had a prefernce over my middle finger to my index. Which would cause an inconsistency when streaming because I wouldn't have as much control over my index finger. To fix this for a week I single tapped only using my index finger and when I went back to alternating my streaming and accuracy went wayyyy up. From 95 to 98 acc and I was able to stream 200bom and burst 260.
Aceyda
In my experience, it is easier to be accurate while single tapping, however it is harder to build up stamina. Alternating means much easier stamina while it is hard to be accurate. I think you should experiment to find out what is best for you. I do both, single tap most of the time but alternate after sliders and such.

I think it will be easier for you now to stick with what you are doing, but if you wanna change, expect to spend a week getting used to it.
<3<3<3
Topic Starter
voltroom
Hello guys, after 24 days I've successfully (?) converted from alternating to single tapping... haha
I've seen a drastic improvement over the last 3 weeks (about 1000pp -> 1950pp) so I guess it's working out well.
At first it was pretty hard to adopt to it since I've been alternating for 4+ months.
However, as I get through, I am getting used to the streams as well (still not long streams).
Still, stamina is my problem as I get tired very quickly with singletapping playstyle rather than alternating which I had no 'tiring' issues after playing.
So... I guess I'll figure out in another month or so how it goes... :D